Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

You're a pretty bitter guy.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, musical screaming is awesome. I can't do it, so it impresses and thrills me. I'm thinking mid-80's Blue Devils. Especially '86. Big. Fat. High. Yum.

Bad screaming for the sake of screaming is pathetic. I can do it in a pinch (literally), so it doesn't impress me.

Screaming should be the icing on the solid musical foundation cake, but if it's all icing and no cake, and it's still good and musical in a performance, it's still good.

Some times the most important notes are the ones you don't play.

:worthy:

I disagree, the most important notes are the ones you play that sound like perfection. His name is Adolph Herseth.

Actually, the only real important notes are the ones that say something. It doesn't matter if they are perfect or not. His name is Miles Davis.

No, I just find trumpet players that are overly concerned with range have a tendency to be bad musicians. If not bad, then just incredibly immature.

I know some amazing Bill Adam students who could prove you wrong...

But what do I know, I just studied trombone with a former Cleveland Symphony player who studied with Remmington back in the day. And you?

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

actually, I'd be more inclined to agree with Einstein on this one. Take a look around you. there are always exceptions to the rules. But I've found in my very short, yet productive(musically) life that those trumpet players who are more focused on range than their sound are the ones who don't get gigs. It doesn't matter if you can play high if you can't play high and sound good at the same time. and most people don't consider that. so if you do know people who are good screamers and also great players, then that is fantastic, but I would imagine they are few and far between. and let's not forget that what people consider "great" varies from person to person.

also, I'd take Adolph Herseth over Miles any day and I'm a jazz player. :P

actually, I'd be more inclined to agree with Einstein on this one. Take a look around you. there are always exceptions to the rules. But I've found in my very short, yet productive(musically) life that those trumpet players who are more focused on range than their sound are the ones who don't get gigs. It doesn't matter if you can play high if you can't play high and sound good at the same time. and most people don't consider that. so if you do know people who are good screamers and also great players, then that is fantastic, but I would imagine they are few and far between. and let's not forget that what people consider "great" varies from person to person.

also, I'd take Adolph Herseth over Miles any day and I'm a jazz player. :P

I'll agree with Einstein and the above post too (and I do have a double C+). Musicianship and tone is far more important than "altissimo" range. Now for the lack of "screamers", you have to practice it just like you do everything else, most young players practice note ripping and stacking, not playing.