What instrument did Jack Meehan design in mid 80s?

WoofInTheWoods

44 members have voted

1. 1. What instrument did Jack Meehan design in mid 80s?

• Concord Contra
    • Mellotone
    • Meehaphone
    • Altophone
    • Flugabone
    • Tenor horn

Anyone want to buy one? We have one or two at the corps hall...

I was actually at Jack's house when they were delivered. I'm not sure what they were called. I was also the first one to try it out. They looked like oversized Flugels. When I played on one of tem , something was obviously wrong with the horn. We checked it out and discovered that Kanstul had mixed up the valves in the valve casings! Once we got that straightened out, they played very well up to a High G. After that, they were useless. Sorry I don't remember the year! After 28 years in DC it's just one big blur now! :yikes:

I believe it was an alto horn, a little bigger than a flugel and a little smaller than a mellophone. I marched in Crossmen in 1990 and he was our instructor and we used Kanstul Altos and if I remember correctly he was saying that he had a hand in the production of the horns,

It was an alto horn, somewhat between a Flugelhorn and a Mellophone.  The "Meehaphone" was the sole alto voice in the Blue Devils hornline from 1987 - 1991.  Not a bad horn, but as one of the previous posters said it was pretty much useless above the G at the top of the staff.

Rich

Blue Devils "Meehaphone" Section 1989-1990

• 2 weeks later...