"This I beleive"

When a review contains personal elements that have nothing to do with the actual thing they are reviewing (if you hate the narration you get it, if you like it you're drinking kool-aid. . .paraphrasing) then you invite some criticism back. If you don't like it, hit that ignore button.

As opposed to rebutting you?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

either way would be fine :P

What a shame Cadets have to have a disclaimer "Once you get past that....." Its uttered by every fan, used as a tool of reason by every "honk" ,and needed as a set-up for the average fan to "get it". ThankGod, in the "real world" the majority get it, and realize the narration is a major design flaw, isnt fun, groundbreaking, or inovative, and is just plain silly, a distraction, a nuisance and yet another cross to bear for those presenting this show. Its what you will take away the most from this show, and thats just sad as there is a geat show behind it.

George Hopkins, the controversy, the outcome, I will not comment. Holy crowd not happy, booing en masse, louder and more vocal than any other time ever in the history of me and DCI (going back to 1979) Was it right ? was it wrong ? was it all on Hopkins ??

Three things...

First, thanks for the review. I was there and agreed with most of your points.

Second, before the Cadets went on the hashes were barely there from 30 to 30. Sure, you can probably get by, but the Cavies were dirty...could this have contributed at least a little bit to that? I don't blame Hopkins at all for his decision, and I think the audience vociferously voicing its displeasure on the matter in the form of booing the Cadets was pretty messed up, particularly noting some Div II kids associated with a closely competing corps.

Third, I couldn't disagree more when you say the narration isn't innovative. Sure I have limited experience in corps, but having been to 11 years worth of shows now, I can honestly say that the narration brings the audience into the show IN A DIFFERENT WAY more than any other way I've seen. I guess the issue comes down to what you think drum corps is or should be, but forgetting all that and watching a show for what it is and not what its not or should be, I found that it very literally created a dialog between corps and audience. Language makes people react, and using it to stir emotion is probably intended.

Were Cadets my fav show of the night? Nope. That'd go to Crown or SCV. But I appreciate the corps that get booed or yelled at because they go against the grain, and I think drum corps needs that. So much so that I stood in line with my SCV jacket and bought a Cadets hat. Much respect from this alum...

Edited by alto92

You can go for that also. Obviously it matters not to me. But please don't tell me I don't have the right to criticize or question things.

George? Disagree with a point of view that doesn't favor The Cadets??? NAAAWWWWW!!!!!

Thanks for the review.

Couple of things. . .

Completely agree on Academy.

Cadets-you could have found a better way to compare those who are cool with the narration in the show and those who aren't. But, far be it from me to expect anything more from you than put downs.

Devils-Will be interesting tonight if they will stay on top, and if the crowd acts like idiots again when and if they don't.

This is G's review, not yours. He expressed what he thought about the Cadets in his own words. If this was your review, then you would have gotten a chance to express YOUR views in your own words. If you didn't like what he said, then ignore it. He doesn't need to be critisized because he didn't express himself as you would. Everyone is different, uses different expressions to express themselves.

Should you be critisized for saying the crowd was acting like idiots?

Third, I couldn't disagree more when you say the narration isn't innovative. Sure I have limited experience in corps, but having been to 11 years worth of shows now, I can honestly say that the narration brings the audience into the show IN A DIFFERENT WAY more than any other way I've seen. I guess the issue comes down to what you think drum corps is or should be, but forgetting all that and watching a show for what it is and not what its not or should be, I found that it very literally created a dialog between corps and audience. Language makes people react, and using it to stir emotion is probably intended.

Narration is not innovative at all. It has been used by marching bands for years, which is why drum corps fans have such an negative reation to its overuse. While I hate any form of the amped voice in a drum corps show, I realize that drum corps is becoming marching band and narration is going nowhere(I think it will be used more and more in the future). But to say its innovative, ahhhhhh no!

What a shame Cadets have to have a disclaimer "Once you goguset past that....." Its uttered by eery fan, used as a tool of reason by ever "honk" ,and needed as a set-up for the average fan to "get it". ThankGod, in the "real world" the majority get it, and realize the narration is a major design flaw, isnt fun, groundbreaking, or inovative, and is just plain silly, a distraction, a nuisance and yet another cross to bear for those presenting this show. Its what you will take away the most from this show, and thats just sad as there is a geat show behind it.

George Hopkins, the controversy, the outcome, I will not comment. Holy crowd not happy, booing en masse, louder and more vocal than any other time ever in the history of me and DCI (going back to 1979) Was it right ? was it wrong ? was it all on Hopkins ?? GO BD !

~G~

No real argument....however, from a somewhat simplistic point of view, it's analogous to saying that Atlanta has a "great" team, except for their terrible bullpen. In either context, (IMVHO, of course!) it just isn't so.

As for BD, I don't especially love what they're doing, but they do it so *%#@^ well. In fact, I've decided that when I'm resurrected, I will devote my entire life to becoming an incredibly accomplished horn(not trumpet)player, and become a star soloist with BD. I fully realize that this might mean abandoning my Brooklyn, Italian-American heritage in exchange for California tall, blonde, blue eyed-ness, but I think that it will be worth it...........mario

Narration is not innovative at all. It has been used by marching bands for years, which is why drum corps fans have such an negative reation to its overuse. While I hate any form of the amped voice in a drum corps show, I realize that drum corps is becoming marching band and narration is going nowhere(I think it will be used more and more in the future). But to say its innovative, ahhhhhh no!

It's new to the activity and is being received as such. The whole notion about drum corps being SO different from marching band on the level of on-the-field-product and that this is a recent trend due to the G/Bb debate, amps, and narration, I think is a bit overstated. The two have gone hand in hand for a few decades now, with the main differences lying in things that have little to do with an audience member's perspective (other than obvious things like instrumentation). There are HUGE differences in approach to rehearsals and overall educational philosophies, but I attribute that to the age group and the competitive nature of drum corps, where as the focus in high school SHOULD BE music education. Of course there are other differences, such as show design due to a more physically and musically able membership, but that's a different discussion.

I think the fact that a drum corps audience is largely opposed to its use is due to the fact that is IS new to the activity, and corps are just now figuring out how to use it - therefore the quality of narration and its use is in its infantile stages. Like it or not, it IS innovative, even if marching bands have been using it for years: drum corps have always done things at a different level than marching bands. Here, the main difference between band and corps is the disposition of the audience.

Corps is what it is. For me, I saw plenty of fantastic shows with narration, and plenty of fantastic shows without. I, for one, welcome variety.

Edited by alto92