Alpharetta Review

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cozy,

I thought I'd start this thread for you since we're all waiting in anticipation for your review.

:grouphug:

Yes, also waiting on Cozy's always interesting/fascinating observations.

B)

From a performer's perspective, it was a GREAT show!! Chattahoochee is an awesome venue, thanks to the organizers for getting this together. There didn't seem to be any issues anywhere. Slightly warm temperatures, but it didn't seem to bother the crowd or performers at all. Also, the basketball gym floor was way, way comfortable, after a long bus trip.

Looking forward to this show next year!

Yes, also waiting on Cozy's always interesting/fascinating observations.

B)

From a performer's perspective, it was a GREAT show!! Chattahoochee is an awesome venue, thanks to the organizers for getting this together. There didn't seem to be any issues anywhere. Slightly warm temperatures, but it didn't seem to bother the crowd or performers at all. Also, the basketball gym floor was way, way comfortable, after a long bus trip.

Looking forward to this show next year!

It was a great stadium, too bad my shoes melted into the turf! Probably melted Cozy's camera.

So Saturday night after the Rockmart show a few of us CV folks were watching a video news clip about a playground that had spontaneously cumbusted down in Texas somewhere the other day. Apparently it was made from some material similar to the stuff that grasstro-turf fields are made of. As we where marching onto the field Sunday, the "aroma" of hot rubber enveloped me and it was all I could do to force that vido out of my head! Imagine the headlines:

CorpsVets Cook at Local Drum Corps Competition! (No, Really)

So Saturday night after the Rockmart show a few of us CV folks were watching a video news clip about a playground that had spontaneously cumbusted down in Texas somewhere the other day. Apparently it was made from some material similar to the stuff that grasstro-turf fields are made of. As we where marching onto the field Sunday, the "aroma" of hot rubber enveloped me and it was all I could do to force that vido out of my head! Imagine the headlines:

CorpsVets Cook at Local Drum Corps Competition! (No, Really)

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's great Rob.

I know once we took a temp reading and it was close to 120 degrees or something like that a few camps back. Luckily too, there was a small (but in this weather...significant) breeze on that field.

Edited by JeffP

The constant breeze certainly helped make the low 90's temperatures up in the stands bearable.

Great show! I brought some musician-type friends with me who normally go see a DCI show or two each year and they were pleasantly surprised by the musicanship, showmanship, and overall quality of what they saw at this show. DCA South has got some great stuff to send to Rochester this year for sure.

Derby City Knights and Shenandoah Sound were out to entertain and did not disappoint. Kudos to the percussionist in DCK who played all five tonal basses set up on a rack. You rawked! The guy who did the xylophone solo was very impressive as well.

Gulf Coast Sound has definitely stepped way up this year. The hornline is balanced, controlled, and very musical. Loved the set drummer in the Pit as well. Very nice show.

Alliance has grown a big battery and pit that is probably a contender for the top percussion award in Class A this year. The tenors were VERY good. I think I recognize the tall one on the end. :-)

Music City Legend came out with great confidence and put on a fantastic show far above what we saw at JSU a month ago. Seems like hornline and battery spots were filled in and the overall show is much cleaner. The theatrics, especially at the end, make this a fun and unique show. All sections seemed strong to me. The three snare drummers were a well oiled machine throughout. Very impressive. Will we see MCL in a top ten spot in DCA Open Class? Definitely possible IMHO.

CorpsVets? OMG! (Warning: shamelessly biased review to follow) Much better hornline balance than at JSU. Powerful and VERY enjoyable. Fantastic contra sound throughout. There's a gazillion solos and so much going on the whole show one dare's not take a look away for a second. Was that a mexican hat dance being performed by the mellophones around their instruments on the ground? Throwing the roses was a nice touch. The Pit has many great exposed parts and with Jennifer, Whitney, Tammy, and Mighty Joe Hamm keeping all the new guys in line, it's a treat to listen to and watch. Was it just me or did you guys set a speed record for getting on the field to set up? :-) Battery drill and intervals greatly improved over JSU and you guys had quite a presence out there. We have to wait until almost the end of the show for the traditional percussion solo but it's worth the wait. I believe the tenors have topped last year's performance when it comes to musicality while performing acrobatics. By the way, the Air Force has been looking for some missing structural parts from one of their F-117 stealth bombers. Know anything? I know very little about colorguards and apologize but it seems you guys added a great deal to the show with some definate "ooh and ahhhh" moments. I did notice CV's colorguard was bigger than all the other colorguards combined. Seems recruiting efforts have been succesful.

I thought the scores for each corps were all about right relative to each other.

Chattahoochee High School is a great facility for a drum corps show and the event was well organized. Go Cougars!

Music City Legend came out with great confidence and put on a fantastic show far above what we saw at JSU a month ago. Seems like hornline and battery spots were filled in and the overall show is much cleaner. The theatrics, especially at the end, make this a fun and unique show. All sections seemed strong to me. The three snare drummers were a well oiled machine throughout. Very impressive. Will we see MCL in a top ten spot in DCA Open Class? Definitely possible IMHO.

Thanks for the kinds words and of course your comment about the snareline. The three of us are having a blast. B)

Chattahoochee High School is a great facility for a drum corps show and the event was well organized. Go Cougars!

Totally! Chattahoochee High School is Box 5 on all accounts and the folks running the show were on top of things all day. The icy cold water at the gate before and after the performance was MUCH appreciated and the pizza from the concession stand was absolutely delicious!

Derby City Knights and Shenandoah Sound were out to entertain and did not disappoint. Kudos to the percussionist in DCK who played all five tonal basses set up on a rack. You rawked! The guy who did the xylophone solo was very impressive as well.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I think having one person play all 5 basses is going to become a tradition for us in the future, even when we're a full-sized open class corps. B)