Mini Corps Reports?

well, I was in it but I did see everyone else after us from the side....so i cant do much of a review....someone should remember it!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only got to see the last 7 corps ..

but... WOW!

All GREAT!

I don't mean this to be all lollipops and roses..

but, afterall, I DID only see the strongest part of the show.... (only going from the results - No knock meant on the corps not mentioned here ... I just didn't see them.. I was preparing with my own corps.)

Sorry there isn't much detail, I didn't take notes. Just my general impressions...

LOVED So Cal - MUCH improved over a good corps last year, IMHO. Great, fun show; high level of performance. Didn't get the Twinkie guy, but the audience seemed to have fun with him.... Oh... and you can NEVER have too much cowbell!

Mass Brass had a challenging and entertaining show. I ALWAYS love and look up to this great program. They did not dissapoint the audience for one minute.

Ghost Riders featured a host of classic tunes AND Donnie Allen. Something in their show for everyone. And, each one done at a high performance level.

MB and GR could easlily have been a little higher in placement. But, no shame where they ended up in this PACKED upper echelon.

Minne Brass - Sophiticated AND excellent. The caliber of musicianship is incredible! Just as excellent as last year.

Thunderbirds: BEST I have ever seen them. And I've seen them be pretty #### good!

Renegades - truly a professional, championship-caliber performance. The winner on any other day, I think. (I didn't see Golden Eagles, tho)

Star's show was not my favorite of the night.. but, the sheets call for choosing the best musical unit, and this one was. They were even more incredible than last year - by a quite a lot, I think. Hard to beat , if they can keep this up. Congratulations!

All in all, 6 of the 7 epitimized, for me (as a real popcorn eater), the best of DCA - in a mini-format. (I think that's what we were going for - so.. Mission Accomplished!):

Hot soloists - (a gaggle of them!!)

Corps' absolutely PACKED with talented, seasoned musicians

Great music choices: pop music, jazz, some drum corps classics

a collective swagger that you can only find in DCA...

- and just PURE ENTERTAINMENT!

IF YOU MISSED THIS CONTEST, DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!

Thanks for the great show!

Edited by brassomaniac

The mini-corps competition from start to finish was amazing! I truly enjoyed the Pembroke Imperials and I was not disappointed with Star United. I sat through them all and they all brought something different to the stage. Did some perform to a higher musical caliber than others...yes. Were some cleaner than others...yes. Were some stacked with DCA HOF legends and soloists who are, IMHO, more professional than some of the so-called professionals out there...yes. Were some small and some large...yes. Were some nervous and just excited to be among the 18 corps who performed...yes(Excelsior!!!). Was there jazz, and classical, and rock, and pop, and drum corps classics!....yes. Did some have M&M built in and other just circle up and jam...yes. Was it great!....absolutely. It is in the differences between the corps that make this venue among the most popular of the weekend.

BUT...all deserve to be commended, all deserve to be celebrated and all deserve much praise for a job well done.

Edited by Excelsior PR Manager

I will also add, that 18 mini-corps is alot. Even at 14 minute intervals, it was alot. I would have loved for the whole day of I&E to start earlier...maybe a 1:pm start and mini-corps to start around 5:pm. Wrap it up at 10:pm and then we could party after. It was tough to keep the eyes open while trying to party at 1:am! (still did it, dont get me wrong-LOL...but.)

Edited by Excelsior PR Manager

Finally got my account working again… b**bs

Anyway, I didn’t get the chance to see too many after we performed, as I was hanging out on the docks for a bit, then was helping our drummer pack up and load the truck. Got to see Mass Brass, Renegades and Star…Thought all were great! Even before the score, when we got off stage we were extremely happy with our performance and even commented that it doesn’t matter where we place, we couldn’t have done a better job….that night anyway…(my hope being that we keep improving with every performance). Since we didn’t compete last year we went on kind of early, and finishing .7 behind Renegades ain't too shabby...

I’d like to thank everyone who made the mini-corps contest as great as it was - from DCA to all the other corps!! Of course, to my fellow Eagles – thanks!!….from Ponzo, the Jersey crews, and of course to Donnie the director (as well as Sue, as everyone knows he can’t survive without) and too many others…. Thanks also to the guys at Mass Brass, whom we seem to always party with when we’re together…and for anyone who doesn’t know, they are some of the funniest freakin’ people you’ll ever meet…(BTW – Donnie is right - Long Island clams are the best!)

But most of all, thanks to the crowd….3 standing O’s from you throughout the show juiced the corps up even more than we were! Makes me want to keep re-living the weekend over and over again…

Edited by Sunrizer

I will also add, that 18 mini-corps is alot. Even at 14 minute intervals, it was alot. (

I agree.

This may not be a very popular opinion, and it is just my opinion.... but I think there needs to be an upper limit placed on the number of mini-corps entered. 15, perhaps. The venue logistics at each championship site are tough enough. An unlimited number of mini-corps is, for all intents and purposes, unworkable in the long run.

Fran

I agree.

This may not be a very popular opinion, and it is just my opinion.... but I think there needs to be an upper limit placed on the number of mini-corps entered. 15, perhaps. The venue logistics at each championship site are tough enough. An unlimited number of mini-corps is, for all intents and purposes, unworkable in the long run.

Fran

seemed to work ok with 18.

Except for it being a long show to watch... and spectators could come and go as they wished.

Have to admit that MORE could be a problem, tho

Would you put a limit on the number of class A corps if it stretched prelims to, say, 25 or so?

Just Sayin'

Edited by brassomaniac

seemed to work ok with 18.

Except for it being a long show to watch... and spectators could come and go as they wished.

Have to admit that MORE could be a problem, tho

Would you put a limit on the number of class A corps if it strecthed prelims to, say, 25 or so?

Just Sayin'

Wonderful Job, Tom, by your entire Unit!

Had to run in & out of mini corps performances, for various reasons, but made sure I got to see CB, Golden Eagles, my dear Friends in Mass Brass, Renegades, and Star.

Did not stop grinning that whole time!

Terrific Work by All, and VERY entertaining.

Got to share some suds with young gentlemen from Star, after the Show.

They are a fine class of people (and very well trained musicians, eh?).

Wish I could have seen all the Corps!

Thanks to all the Folks in attendance, for cheering us all on, and a special "Thank You" from SKY mini corps, for the emotion packed reaction to our appearance.

We did OK, for only being able to schedule 6 rehearsals, and were humbled by the warm reception!

Keep up the Good Work, Mr. Mac!

Bill Moore B)

Wonderful Job, Tom, by your entire Unit!

Had to run in & out of mini corps performances, for various reasons, but made sure I got to see CB, Golden Eagles, my dear Friends in Mass Brass, Renegades, and Star.

Did not stop grinning that whole time!

Terrific Work by All, and VERY entertaining.

Got to share some suds with young gentlemen from Star, after the Show.

They are a fine class of people (and very well trained musicians, eh?).

Wish I could have seen all the Corps!

Thanks to all the Folks in attendance, for cheering us all on, and a special "Thank You" from SKY mini corps, for the emotion packed reaction to our appearance.

We did OK, for only being able to schedule 6 rehearsals, and were humbled by the warm reception!

Keep up the Good Work, Mr. Mac!

Bill Moore B)

Bill I can't thank you enough for the kind words.... coming from you, they mean a lot!

I arrived for our warmups at the dock just in time to catch only the very end of Sky's performance. It sounded great, and the crowd truly did love you guys, and it showed!

Had Sky not had you on board, I would have liked to have you in our line again!

Good luck to Sky and to the Alumni corps for 2008!

Thanks also to the guys at Mass Brass, whom we seem to always party with when we’re together…and for anyone who doesn’t know, they are some of the funniest freakin’ people you’ll ever meet…(BTW – Donnie is right - Long Island clams are the best!)

Thanks Scottie, it was great hanging with you guys as well.

Of course what Donnie refers to as 'Long Island clams' is actually medical waste...really explains a lot about my good friend Donnie now that I think of it! :P