Mini Corps Reports?

LOVED So Cal - MUCH improved over a good corps last year, IMHO. Great, fun show; high level of performance. Didn't get the Twinkie guy, but the audience seemed to have fun with him.... Oh... and you can NEVER have too much cowbell!

Thanks!!! We had alot of fun that night.

The twinkie just followed us from Anthrax Ripple, we couldn't turn him away!!

My ears are still ringing from those cowbells.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you put a limit on the number of class A corps if it stretched prelims to, say, 25 or so?

No, I wouldn't.

But there is a LOT more time flexibility with Prelims than there is with the I&E/mini-corps show. Prelims' start time could be backed up to, say, noontime if need be.

You really can't start the I&E show much earlier (if at all) than the current 5:30 PM start time on Friday, mostly because of people still arriving for the event.... it is, after all, a get-away day for a busy holiday weekend.

And you can't even think about extending the evening any further into the early morning hours of Saturday, since a number of the performers.... not to mention the show staff and judges...... have to get up fairly early Saturday for either rehearsal, or to head to the stadium to work at Prelims. Plus, depending on which venue is used in a given year, the managers of the venue itself might place time constraints on the event.

On top of all that..... the I&E scheduling can be quite a headache, with people performing at multiple venues at different times, people performing as an individual and then later with a mini-corps, etc.

Prelims is a straight-up, one-shot, linear deal for each corps and all the members of those corps. 17-minute performance window, that corps is done, next corps goes on... and so forth.

I would ask anyone who thinks the I&E show can handle unlimited entries to sit down someday with either Barbara (if she can continue in her role next year) or Dick, or whoever is doing the scheduling, and then tell me what you think then.

Fran

Hi Mike,

Need to know where I can purchase this shirt for my husband...it's perfect for him.

Thanks

I bought mine from someone at DCI East in Allentown, he was the mastermind behind them but i haven't seen them anywhere since! Might be some on-line on e-bay or somewhere :)

No, I wouldn't.

But there is a LOT more time flexibility with Prelims than there is with the I&E/mini-corps show. Prelims' start time could be backed up to, say, noontime if need be.

You really can't start the I&E show much earlier (if at all) than the current 5:30 PM start time on Friday, mostly because of people still arriving for the event.... it is, after all, a get-away day for a busy holiday weekend.

And you can't even think about extending the evening any further into the early morning hours of Saturday, since a number of the performers.... not to mention the show staff and judges...... have to get up fairly early Saturday for either rehearsal, or to head to the stadium to work at Prelims. Plus, depending on which venue is used in a given year, the managers of the venue itself might place time constraints on the event.

On top of all that..... the I&E scheduling can be quite a headache, with people performing at multiple venues at different times, people performing as an individual and then later with a mini-corps, etc.

Prelims is a straight-up, one-shot, linear deal for each corps and all the members of those corps. 17-minute performance window, that corps is done, next corps goes on... and so forth.

I would ask anyone who thinks the I&E show can handle unlimited entries to sit down someday with either Barbara (if she can continue in her role next year) or Dick, or whoever is doing the scheduling, and then tell me what you think then.

Fran

Well, I didn't suggest unlimited. As I said, MORE would be a problem.

But did 18 cause one?

And I didn't mean to imply that the people behind the scene didn't have a difficult job to do. The show, on the surface at least, seemed to run smoothly and seamlessly - I was very impressed. Thank you to everyone who had a hand in it.

And Thanks, to Dick Pronti, for getting all of us in. I wouldn't have wanted to be the one turned away, had you made a cut off.

What kind of system are you suggesting for next year? Simply first in?

And how many would you limit it to?

Edited by brassomaniac

Just wanted to say I was taking this year off from minicorps, however due to extenuating circumstances I ended up filling a second sop spot for the Outlaws (Frontier's minicorps) and had a blast. Some might have noticed the big guy with a shirt a bit too small up their with a sop in one hand and sheet music in the other LOL

Thanks for having me aboard guys, it was a blast ^0^

One more thing..........T-shirt of the night..........Some older gentleman (maybe 70),

"This I believe................shut up and play".

I saw that too, why is everyone always going after the Cadets for narration, other corps do it too

Edited by SUNSNARE07

So....does anyone have a review of ALL the ccorps that were there competing?? I sure would like to know what some of you thought of the Golden Eagles!

Thanks

And my congrats goes out to Star United. I heard this quote about them....

"They were SOOO clean you could eat off of them"! LOL

QUOTE(Sunrizer @ Sep 4 2007, 03:34 PM) *

for anyone who doesn’t know, they are some of the funniest freakin’ people you’ll ever meet

Of course what Donnie refers to as 'Long Island clams' is actually medical waste...really explains a lot about my good friend Donnie now that I think of it!:P

I rest my case! b**bs

So what your saying is Long Island is to clams, what the Boston Bomb Squad is to Light Brites? :)

Frank,

Golden Eagles were incredible. Probably my favorite performance by any mini-corps this year.