DCA Prelims Night Review

I brought back this gem since DCA is moving back to Rochester in 2014. Enjoy!.....

3:45 pm Bucs do their Full Performance at Medina HS in their preparations for Pre-Lims. Run-through is great, but hunger pangs start to distract much of the brass & visual staff.

3:56 pm Run-through is over, staff hits the motel to quickly shower and get ready for Pre-Lims

4:01 pm After a well-deserved pre-show beverage, we hit the road for Rochester. Funky Cool Medina kicks off the journey from Medina, NY to Paetec Park

4:55 pm Bucs Staff arrives at Sticky Lips BBQ! Goal is to decide which is better, Sticky Lips or Dinosaur BBQ.

We order a variety of combos that include Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket, Ribs, and Chicken Drummers. Sides include Baked Beans, Mac & Cheese, Cole Slaw, Cornbread, Sweet Potato Fries & Pasta Salad

7:20 pm Begin Warm-Up, go on to have best show of the season so far

10:55 pm Scores announced, everyone is elated, but hunger pangs start to creep back in. Rush to Dino BBQ.

11:05 pm Pull into Dino just before the Pre-Lims panel walks in. We all agree it would be inproper for us to buy them a beer, but we see nothing wrong with the judges buying us a round or two. They don't see it that way. :rolleyes:

Now for the results.....

We had a split decision amongst the Bucs staff, so there is no clear cut winner. Therefore, we have to break it down by caption...

Pulled Pork - Dinosaur BBQ* (although Sticky Lips Pulled Pork with their mustard sauce was a 10)

Beef Brisket - Dinosaur BBQ

Ribs - Sticky Lips Dry Rub was slightly better, although both Sticky Lips and Dino's ribs are fantastic

Dino Chicken Wings VS Sticky Lips Drummers - The winner here is Dino BBQ. These wings are STANDARD SETTING and should be the ideal that all other wings aspire to reach.

Baked Beans - Sticky Lips - Could be a meal in themselves!

Mac & Cheese - Dinosaur BBQ (Sticky Lips Mac & Cheese was a major dissappointment - Box 2)

Cole Slaw - Sticky Lips

Cornbread - Sticky Lips has mastered cornbread. There is some kind of honey glaze on top that is off the charts. we ordered some to go for the ride to the stadium

On a side note, Dinosaur BBQ has a sandwich called the Pork-sket that is truly a work of art. As Durand Thomas of the Cabs staff put it, "It will change your life."

So, the deal is that both places are high Box 5, although the overall opinion seems to lean toward the Dinosaur BBQ. How does Rochester have TWO great BBQ joints when it is hard to find one in most other places?

Edited by Mick Krackin'

I must say the hour and half wait to get into Dinosaurs was well worth it.

Great review. In fact it's one of the best reviews I've read about the events of the weekend. I guess in the absence of show reviews, BBQ reviews will work just as well. And now I'm hungry. Since I had plenty of BBQ this weekend, I think I'll go to the polar opposite tonight and get some great sushi! Woohoo for raw fish!

You have not changed at all. :) Glad to hear it.

It was good to see you at Dino on Saturday night. It was like a late 90s Bushwacker reunion there. Good times.

Congratulations, Dan.

although I heard from some very reliable sources that House of Sushi was really high quality there in Rochester..................

Wow, Dan your making me really hungry right now for some BBQ, I could use some delicious ribs. Anyway congrats to you and the Bucs from me and the Class A Champion Sunrisers, awesome job this season

Great review. In fact it's one of the best reviews I've read about the events of the weekend. I guess in the absence of show reviews, BBQ reviews will work just as well. And now I'm hungry. Since I had plenty of BBQ this weekend, I think I'll go to the polar opposite tonight and get some great sushi! Woohoo for raw fish!

And I think I could use some sushi too, sushi is always awesome though IDK about the sushi-BBQ combination-well Hibachi maybe but is that considered BBQ? w/e lol

OK I'm Done

I LOVED the BBQ!!! I had a pulled pork sandwich twice when I was there. Delicious!!!!!

3:45 pm Bucs do their Full Performance at Medina HS in their preparations for Pre-Lims. Run-through is great, but hunger pangs start to distract much of the brass & visual staff.

3:56 pm Run-through is over, staff hits the motel to quickly shower and get ready for Pre-Lims

4:01 pm After a well-deserved pre-show beverage, we hit the road for Rochester. Funky Cool Medina kicks off the journey from Medina, NY to Paetec Park

4:55 pm Bucs Staff arrives at Sticky Lips BBQ! Goal is to decide which is better, Sticky Lips or Dinosaur BBQ.

We order a variety of combos that include Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket, Ribs, and Chicken Drummers. Sides include Baked Beans, Mac & Cheese, Cole Slaw, Cornbread, Sweet Potato Fries & Pasta Salad

7:20 pm Begin Warm-Up, go on to have best show of the season so far

10:55 pm Scores announced, everyone is elated, but hunger pangs start to creep back in. Rush to Dino BBQ.

11:05 pm Pull into Dino just before the Pre-Lims panel walks in. We all agree it would be inproper for us to buy them a beer, but we see nothing wrong with the judges buying us a round or two. They don't see it that way. :rolleyes:

Now for the results.....

We had a split decision amongst the Bucs staff, so there is no clear cut winner. Therefore, we have to break it down by caption...

Pulled Pork - Dinosaur BBQ* (although Sticky Lips Pulled Pork with their mustard sauce was a 10)

Beef Brisket - Dinosaur BBQ

Ribs - Sticky Lips Dry Rub was slightly better, although both Sticky Lips and Dino's ribs are fantastic

Dino Chicken Wings VS Sticky Lips Drummers - The winner here is Dino BBQ. These wings are STANDARD SETTING and should be the ideal that all other wings aspire to reach.

Baked Beans - Sticky Lips - Could be a meal in themselves!

Mac & Cheese - Dinosaur BBQ (Sticky Lips Mac & Cheese was a major dissappointment - Box 2)

Cole Slaw - Sticky Lips

Cornbread - Sticky Lips has mastered cornbread. There is some kind of honey glaze on top that is off the charts. we ordered some to go for the ride to the stadium

On a side note, Dinosaur BBQ has a sandwich called the Pork-sket that is truly a work of art. As Durand Thomas of the Cabs staff put it, "It will change your life."

So, the deal is that both places are high Box 5, although the overall opinion seems to lean toward the Dinosaur BBQ. How does Rochester have TWO great BBQ joints when it is hard to find one in most other places?

:spit: Someone told me a story about you once. Apparently, they were right. You are one funny ########.