fanfare for the new

Of all the songs I've tried to find original recordings of, Fanfare for the New is one I've never run across. Corpsreps says Hugo Montenegro wrote it, but I've never seen a record or disc with that title listed.

Does anyone know what Devils, Guardsmen, Argonne Rebels and Kingsmen sourced for their arrangements?

Regards,

John Swartz

Of all the songs I've tried to find original recordings of, Fanfare for the New is one I've never run across. Corpsreps says Hugo Montenegro wrote it, but I've never seen a record or disc with that title listed.

Does anyone know what Devils, Guardsmen, Argonne Rebels and Kingsmen sourced for their arrangements?

Regards,

John Swartz

It's a Kenton piece. Try here:

http://www.bigbandjazz.net/new-design/cd_horns2.asp

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=19871

I found a copy on Limewire.

Regards,

John Swartz

Bushwackers, senior corps from NJ, played it in 2006. Maybe someone from there can help (bushwackers.org)

You can get it right here through Amazon.com.

What might be throwing you off is that the title really is just plain, "Fanfare."

And for anyone looking for jazz records, if you can't find it on Amazon, the Chicago Jazzmart is an astounding store of jazz everything, the largest jazz record store in the world.

Edited by Michael Boo

I bought a brand new copy of the Kenton Conducts The Neophonic Orchestra (recorded in 1965) in my favorite music store not long ago. That's the album with "Fanfare" on it. There are more of those Kenton recordings around now than there were 10 years ago, which is nice.

The Argonne version (1973) was tied to Frank Minear, a member of the Kenton Orchestra, who worked with Argonne at the time. Frank later marched with Minnesota Brass and some other DCA corps, and, unfortunately, died not long ago.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Add the Air Force Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, to those who played Fanfare.

Garrison Kean of the Kingsmen emailed this info:

"...I worked with Keith Markey in 1975 and he told me his strategy for teaching Fanfare for the New to the Air Force Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, which is who he originally arranged it for.

...By the way, I have Keith Markey's arrangements of Fanfare for the New..."

Per Mike Duffy:

"Keith got the Academy chart directly from Kenton’s library, “The Creative World of Stan Kenton.”

I have the full Fanfare score as well."

also via Mike: "In the early 1970s Kenton split from his long-time association with Capitol Records and formed his own label, "The Creative World of Stan Kenton". Recordings produced during the 1970s on this new label included several "live" concerts at various universities and are a testament to his devotion to education. In addition, Kenton made his charts available to college and high-school stage bands."

Edited by GuyW

Add the Air Force Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, to those who played Fanfare.

Garrison Kean of the Kingsmen emailed this info:

"...I worked with Keith Markey in 1975 and he told me his strategy for teaching Fanfare for the New to the Air Force Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, which is who he originally arranged it for.

...By the way, I have Keith Markey's arrangements of Fanfare for the New..."

Per Mike Duffy:

"Keith got the Academy chart directly from Kenton’s library, “The Creative World of Stan Kenton.”

I have the full Fanfare score as well."

also via Mike: "In the early 1970s Kenton split from his long-time association with Capitol Records and formed his own label, "The Creative World of Stan Kenton". Recordings produced during the 1970s on this new label included several "live" concerts at various universities and are a testament to his devotion to education. In addition, Kenton made his charts available to college and high-school stage bands."

He donated his collection to North Texas.

Guardsmen version is my personal fav.

no doubt, mine too,...................however, get your self a copy of Bushwackers 2006,................I was digging it's contrast to the Guardsmen in that it has a grooving swing feel to it that I haven't heard from a corps before,............... :rolleyes:

• Like 1