2007 BRASS REUNION

Well it's starting to wind down (sort of) everyone was heading back to the post for a critique and discuss world affairs in "G".

First a quick thank you to all the corps that helped make this a success, yeah I know quiet at the bar. It's been a long time since any of us stood out on a field for a full review.

Anything to add ????

Some comments on what I was able to watch (which was most of the show, can't comment on Lambertville since I was busy performing with them).....

Yankee Rebels- was standing in front of their low brass and mid-range for the first half of show, and they really sounded good. Horns were in tune, and had a real nice blend. Particularly liked Ghost Riders, and the shortened "Requiem" piece. Nice Sop solo work. Moved over to the sop side for the last few numbers, and they too blended nicely. Best Rebels Hornline I've heard in a while.

Golden Knights- These guys have a lead sop line that is as good as most DCA field corps. They project really well, and have that signature sound BSGK sound I remember from '69, '70. DM used the podium ( something that wasn't arounfdback in the day), and that presented them with a bit of a challenge ( which he came away from unscathed). Watching them pass in review after retreat, what was very impressive was the way the hornline carried themselves- everybody's horn angle was dead on- something that's very rare in alumni corps. Cool to hear Bachus again.

Steel City- Played some nice pop/jazz tunes, Land of Make Believe, Children of Sanchez, All Night Long, as well as Black Saddle , and their jazzed up version of National Emblem. They featured an excellent Baritone soloist, as well as an Iron-Lipped screaming sop- the guy crushed evrything he attempted.

Reilly Raiders- Came onto the field very sharp and confident looking ( one of two corps to do some drill). Their guard was quite impressive. They performed some simple but effective moves, which enhanced the show. Really like what the stationary large quads add to the percussion section( I marched with this guy when he played baritone back in the sixties- nice job Ed!). Reilly played a lot of new music ( at least new for me), and it was pretty challnging stuf which they handled well. Would have liked to have seen them feature DM/ Brass Arranger Bill Pusey more- a hell of a horn player. Drumline was pretty tight. Reilly had an intersting set-up the lead sops were in the second row, I believe-never seen that before, but think it enhanced their sound...

St Kevin's- Really neat th see those uniforms again, haven't seen them since '67. Opened with a little old school drill and played a neat medley of their old trademark tunes. Put out a sound that was larger than their numbers. I was most impressed by their mellophone section. They nailed everything. I'm guessing some/all of these guys were a part of the excellent Emerald Knights french horn sections of the past- nice work!

Archie- Probably the best sounding Archie line I've heard in quite a while. It was a blast jumping in with them and playing two Lambertville tunes "You Made Me Love You" ( Which John Arietano and Duke Terreri played outstanding solos ) and Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Including some members from all the corps, there was some serious talent on that field. It also was a blast playing Stars and Stripes with Archie. From the reaction of the crowd, I'm guessing that sounded pretty good.....

All in all a great day. Beautiful weather and a fun afternoon of drum corps. Thanks to Archie for putting together an impressive 75th anniversary celebration

How great it was seeing all of you "ON THE FIELD AGAIN" and

how we used to do it...Before you were all

competing and now you are having fun with it...Talk about "FULL

CIRCLE"....I think this is another to consider...

I loved meeting all you guys and finally putting a face on my

friends...The very first was Larry Bell and I couldn't miss him in his

SKEK uniforms...I haven't seen those uniforms in a long, long time...

I wish I had of seen more of you...and had more time..

I missed the very end as my brother had another commitment

to go to and his wife was waiting for him...his son is a drum instructor

for a B_ND (LOL) and he had to go video record 20 bands for him...

All the corps were great and I was surprised at the size and the

power...The solosist were awesome..the drummers are still marching like

the "Proud Bunch they are" to be leading their buddies down the field.....

As for the Volunteers...the music they are

playing is awesome and good for them for the different repertoire...

really is neat having something different and they do it very well

love the new music...

Any volunteers for teaching an "Oldie the horn all over again???

Forgot to mention...I don't read music.....everyone has tried and it is

a hopeless case...I am also Tone Deaf...right Rip??? ROFLMAO!!! I

don't sing...Guess Who??????

Some comments on what I was able to watch (which was most of the show, can't comment on Lambertville since I was busy performing with them).....

Yankee Rebels- was standing in front of their low brass and mid-range for the first half of show, and they really sounded good. Horns were in tune, and had a real nice blend. Particularly liked Ghost Riders, and the shortened "Requiem" piece. Nice Sop solo work. Moved over to the sop side for the last few numbers, and they too blended nicely. Best Rebels Hornline I've heard in a while.

Golden Knights- These guys have a lead sop line that is as good as most DCA field corps. They project really well, and have that signature sound BSGK sound I remember from '69, '70. DM used the podium ( something that wasn't arounfdback in the day), and that presented them with a bit of a challenge ( which he came away from unscathed). Watching them pass in review after retreat, what was very impressive was the way the hornline carried themselves- everybody's horn angle was dead on- something that's very rare in alumni corps. Cool to hear Bachus again.

Steel City- Played some nice pop/jazz tunes, Land of Make Believe, Children of Sanchez, All Night Long, as well as Black Saddle , and their jazzed up version of National Emblem. They featured an excellent Baritone soloist, as well as an Iron-Lipped screaming sop- the guy crushed evrything he attempted.

Reilly Raiders- Came onto the field very sharp and confident looking ( one of two corps to do some drill). Their guard was quite impressive. They performed some simple but effective moves, which enhanced the show. Really like what the stationary large quads add to the percussion section( I marched with this guy when he played baritone back in the sixties- nice job Ed!). Reilly played a lot of new music ( at least new for me), and it was pretty challnging stuf which they handled well. Would have liked to have seen them feature DM/ Brass Arranger Bill Pusey more- a hell of a horn player. Drumline was pretty tight. Reilly had an intersting set-up the lead sops were in the second row, I believe-never seen that before, but think it enhanced their sound...

St Kevin's- Really neat th see those uniforms again, haven't seen them since '67. Opened with a little old school drill and played a neat medley of their old trademark tunes. Put out a sound that was larger than their numbers. I was most impressed by their mellophone section. They nailed everything. I'm guessing some/all of these guys were a part of the excellent Emerald Knights french horn sections of the past- nice work!

Archie- Probably the best sounding Archie line I've heard in quite a while. It was a blast jumping in with them and playing two Lambertville tunes "You Made Me Love You" ( Which John Arietano and Duke Terreri played outstanding solos ) and Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Including some members from all the corps, there was some serious talent on that field. It also was a blast playing Stars and Stripes with Archie. From the reaction of the crowd, I'm guessing that sounded pretty good.....

All in all a great day. Beautiful weather and a fun afternoon of drum corps. Thanks to Archie for putting together an impressive 75th anniversary celebration

We had a great time. I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere surrounding the whole event. A few communication problems before the show started but once the show began, it was most enjoyable. Had a fun time laughing and chatting with Blessed Sacrament who was next to us in retreat.

All in all a most enjoyable afternoon with old friends, new friends (SKEK), playing with Archer Epler one more time around the track, hanging out and winding everything up with a great party back at the post.

Congratulations to Archer Epler for their 75th Anniversary. It was a great day for drum corps, family and friends. It was good to see all the corps turn out and appreciate the significance of the day. Honor the past, celebrate today, look forward to the future.

It was also my honor to play with Archer Epler in their portion of the show. It was a special moment to see Lee Wolf the legend, who wrote so many Archie classics watching from the fence right in front at the 50 yard line.

Joe BSGK

I had wanted to check the 75th Anniversary show out.

However, after checking dates, I was already booked for Saturday. I was bummed.

Glad to hear it was a great time.

Hey, Marty!

I was hoping you could make it. It would have been nice to meet you. Archie did good. It was an emotional and fun filled day and it really resurrected those old memories. All the corps sounded great and mingled with each other for some good stories and good-natured banter. We raised a few glasses back at the post and swapped some more lies! :lookaround:

Robbie

Hey, Marty!

I was hoping you could make it. It would have been nice to meet you. Archie did good. It was an emotional and fun filled day and it really resurrected those old memories. All the corps sounded great and mingled with each other for some good stories and good-natured banter. We raised a few glasses back at the post and swapped some more lies! :grouphug:

Robbie

Yeah, it would have been fun to meet some of the people that I've probably passed a thousand times but never had any contact with until DCP.

I was playing at a community block party near Talleyville, DE in the afternoon. It was a nice day, but it got pretty hot on the bandstand.

Maybe catch you next time.

Had a great couple of days with the Musketeers! It felt good to come home again, the post was as warm & fuzzy as ever & the hot dogs were still great. Even did the ceremonial track to Geno's steaks after rehearsal Friday night in South Philly; wiz & all! The 75th anniversary brought to life many, many memories I have of Archer-Epler. Seeing all of the memorabilia from years gone by, seeing pictures of my father(60s) & sister (80s) when they competed with Archie was so cool. For those that have gone to Archer-Epler Post 979 in the sky, thoughts of you were with me at all times during the 75th; Bobby Carney, Jack Reilly, George Carter, Bob Evans, Ben Katze, Vince D'Agostino, Bob Booth, Bill Taylor & many, many others who have passed on. Some things will never change....& for the better; sharing this 75th with long time friends is what makes my drum corps clock tick.....It was great to be in the line again with Marty (or Stan), Danzan, Tony Brown, Duke, Joe S (from Sac)..you guys all still play fantastic! & how bout Billy Toomey out in front of the corps? Toomey was himself doing a superb job....Louie Scirrotto & Kenny Newman singin "Have you heard the Reilly Raiders" etc It was old times baby!!......& to those who couldn't make it, you were missed bigtime: Jimmy Cossetti, The whole Fallon Family, Joe Steckler,Chew once again the list goes on............ Thanks Archie for everything!