Squires of Watkins Glen, NY

who knows where it came from... but my older sister was a drum major (Grenadiers, Broome Co., NY) back in the day, and I was trying to think of other drum majors, and the name Ernie Thurston popped into my flailing mind. He was an amazing DM. So I does me a search and good golly, Miss Molly, up comes a book about the one ond only Squires that can mostly be read online (I just remembered we called them the Squirrels.. clever lot we were.. but they called us the Grubadiers so all's fair).

The Squires history

OMG as they say in computer land. The Seneca Princemen from Toronto, Ontario, Canada visited Watkins Glen for at least 2 years or so from 1973-1975. The Squires were always wonderful hosts for us. My best memories of that era was Watkins Glen and Altoona. Seems strange but it was city folk meeting small town folk. We had a connection then. Even though we competed with each other, we got along. Thanks for the hospitality.

My brother was in De La Salle Oakland while I was with Seneca Princemen at the time. Silly thing at the time, but my brother could not be at the same corps as me. Now we are family and friends. I have one newspaper article of 2 drum majors in 1973 in Watkins Glen, that's all. Otherwise, fond memories only.

Let me digest the web site please. A bit overwhelmed right now. WOW.

Edited by lindap

I purchased that book directly from Jud. He did a fantastic job documenting the years of the corps and was very accurate each year with membership names. What he did is quite an accomplishment and well worth the investment if you had any family or friends in the corps.

I ordered the book. Should be 10 days before I get it. Thanks again. Photo from Watkins Review, Wed. July 18, 1973. Sorry, this is the only picture I have of 1973. Didn't take a camera with me anywhere. Thanks again to Watkins Glen Squires for being wonderful hosts to us in the mid-1970's.

1973-WatkinsGlen2-a.jpg

ps. I don't like having my picture taken and I think the trophy was heavy. Thanks to Barb for helping me out.

Edited by lindap

• 5 months later...
I ordered the book. Should be 10 days before I get it. Thanks again. Photo from Watkins Review, Wed. July 18, 1973. Sorry, this is the only picture I have of 1973. Didn't take a camera with me anywhere. Thanks again to Watkins Glen Squires for being wonderful hosts to us in the mid-1970's.

1973-WatkinsGlen2-a.jpg

ps. I don't like having my picture taken and I think the trophy was heavy. Thanks to Barb for helping me out.

Linda......Patti Schmizzi our corp historian and over all good egg, sent me this link! WOW! This was a life time ago! Hope you enjoy Jud's book, it has an honored place in our home. I married a fellow drum corp ( contra/baritone) and we are still together after all these years. Hope all is well in you world!

Barb Cullen Chapman

Linda......Patti Schmizzi our corp historian and over all good egg, sent me this link! WOW! This was a life time ago! Hope you enjoy Jud's book, it has an honored place in our home. I married a fellow drum corp ( contra/baritone) and we are still together after all these years. Hope all is well in you world!

Barb Cullen Chapman

Oh, Barb, it’s wonderful to meet you again after all these years. Our drum corps met your drum corps at Watkins Glen in 1973 and your families took us into their homes. This first impression left lasting memories.

I happened to be re-reading Jud Spena’s book last weekend and now this lovely surprise. Even though we visited the Glen once, our paths crossed at many contests in 1974. I must say that what you did on pages 68-70 in “Echoes in the Valley” was remarkable and I salute you, dear lady.

I’m rather new on this forum, so I’ll PM you. Had to ask the youngest and it means ‘private message’. But I did figure out OMG by myself. It means oh my golly. :worthy: