Eldoradans?

I found a 1973 yearbook from VK and sent a bunch of new scores to corpsreps.com. There was a corps listed called Eldoradans at two shows in Wichita and Hutchinson, but I don't remember anything about them. Corpsreps has no info, either.

Anyone from that area that might remember them?

Garry in Vegas

The Eldoradans were from Denver, and were arch rivals of the Blue Knights. They first hit the field around 1971, and beat the Blue Knights for the '71 Colorado American Legion title. The 1976 season was their last one on the field. They had unique conquistador style uniforms.

Edited by Northern Thunder

The Eldoradans were from Denver, and were arch rivals of the Blue Knights. They first hit the field around 1971, and beat the Blue Knights for the '71 Colorado American Legion title. The 1976 season was their last one on the field. They had unique conquistador style uniforms.

Thanks, Brian. Glad you have the DCW archives at your fingertips!

Garry in Vegas

• 9 years later...
On 9/23/2007 at 6:29 PM, CrunchyTenor said:

Thanks, Brian. Glad you have the DCW archives at your fingertips!

Garry in Vegas

The Eldoradans, were Founded by Larry Roads, who at 22 finished his marching with Troopers and USAF Drum Corps. Blue Knights asked him to teach and he improved them greatly. They had been doing nothing but parades for a decade. He wanted to have them travel and compete, they declined and my mother Evelyn Zarlengo suggested he start his own corps. She told him I will handle the details and you teach...The Eldoradans were born. Larry wrote, designed, created uniforms, and drove the bus. With little girls, and an instructor who never did guard, the Eldoradans went to the Winterguard National Championships( at that time ),in Chicago and  beat the reigning Cavaliers and many others to take 2nd ...just  behind the Skylarks. The cheif Judge Alex Hadad said the Eldoradans play with fire and do exchanges and have designs that the big coprs and guards won't try. The Eldoradans founded a drum corps show -first at 6th and Kipling then Mile High stadium called Drums Along the Rockies, and because of political involvement by channel 9 and Troopers they sold concessions( and got no exposure) in their own show...Later DCI and Blue Knights claimed they founded it!...No matter, The eldoradans uniforms, show concepts, and music was always just ahead of the major corps, but with no sponsor and limited recruitment they only lasted from 1970-1977. But many of the members had great careers with other corps, and in  music, and other fields. The Eldoradans planted many seeds that others are reaping now. Unfortunately many don't know and aknowledge Larry's and the Eldoradans many contributions to the activity that we all enjoy so much.  JZ in Denver

Edited by JZ1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

That's an interesting story.

BTW, Alex Haddad was one of the founders of Phantom Regiment back in 1956.

Gary in Lena

• 1 year later...
On 8/29/2018 at 7:02 PM, gls said:

I marched Eldoradans in '74 with JZ1.  A spectaular year in my life thanks in no small part to Larry, Mrs. Zarlengo and JZ1.  Thanks Chibby.

Any relation to the Zarlengos who own and run the famous Italian ice and Gelateria in Chicago Heights, Illinois directly across the street from Marian Catholic H.S. (of band and WGI fame.) If so, it's not surprising to hear of the excellence, innovation, and high quality. Great stuff (ask the MCMB and Cadets mms.)

• 2 years later...

The ElDoradans were mediocre at best. Larry Roads was a junior  Nazi. He never "designed" squat. The uniforms were a hideous bright orange w/black pants, and they were hand-me-downs from a local American Legion post, as were all the instruments. Larry Roads collected a rag tag bunch of kids with zero musical experience (myself included), and tried to turn us into a world class competitive force in a matter of months. It didn't work out so well. While other nationally rated groups were 100+ strong, The ElDoradans NEVER had over 40 or 50 kids in the Corps at one time. Evelyn Zarlengo was nothing more than Larry Roads's official boot licker. She followed him around like a puppy dog hoping for some table scraps. She worshiped the man. With Larry Roads at the helm,.we were never destined for fame.

Respectfully,

Larry Klimper

• 6 months later...

I was in the Eldoradans and it is some of the best memories I’ll ever have! Made my childhood wonderful! I started at the age of 7 in the drum line playing the cymbals. Then moved to the Color Guard as a Guard of the American flag and finally to the rifle line. I was a big 11 years old and we were fantastic and so was Larry Rhodes! No one else was doing “suicides” with their rifle line! We were the best at it! I was with LZarlingo, who was the same age! I was in the Nationals competition in Chicago too! A little tiny girl that could march and everything! Larry Rhodes taught us that and so much more! We were a family and friends and competitors. I carry that so close to my heart still!