Big News Affecting "Div II/III"

It was a decision devoid of contentious debate, with a result that came much faster than expected. Yet, it was one of the biggest things to happen in several years that will affect the way the drum corps activity is structured.

On Sept. 22, 2007, at a directors’ meeting of Divisions II & III that took place outside of Chicago, a quick and unanimous vote followed an hour-long discussion. That vote resulted in a proposal that will be sent to the Drum Corps International Executive Board to combine the existing Divisions II & III into a single division named “Open Class.”

I hope this passes at the big meeting! :worthy:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4...f3-61b784ceb769

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bumping this one, cause this is some major news here and something some have been wanting for a long time!

Everything comes full circle.

Given the current climate in the activity......a number of small Division III corps and only a handful of legitimate Division II corps.......this is a move that makes sense.

Back when the Division II and III format first appeared (Initially called Class A and Class A-60 for corps with fewer than 60 total members), there were more small corps around. There were more corps period.

Hopefully, if passed, this new 'branding' will simplify the logistics and marketing for shows featuring smaller corps.......and will pay some dividend down the road.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. It would be cool to have the top winner in Open Class face off against the division I corps.

Edited by dccorpsfan