Big News Affecting "Div II/III"

Never thought about how this will affect the BD organization

Anyone know what will come of BDC? Just renaming the corps of something like Blue Beginners?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure I hope that they pass it at the BOD meeting.

I'm wondering if they're going to go back to the format or something similiar to what we did "back in the day"?

In my opinion this will have a negative impact on the division 3 corps. Smaller corps will no longer have a legitimate chance of winning a championship. Many will go inactive if they cannot compete with the bigger division 2 corps. How long after this new change takes place will we have so few "Open" class corps that DCI just combines all corps into one division.

Jeremy,

I don't think that that would be true. It's a given that everyone can't win. Look at sports teams, some win all the time and become champions while others are competitive to a point. In the 1970's it was the same way...we had Open class, A Class, B Class and C or Cadet class, but we had a whole lot more corps too. I don't see the "smaller" corps going inactive unless they can't keep a corps together due to finances.

Then we would have world class, open class, and in the not so immediate future, scholastic division, letting marching bands compete at the DCI level, allowing a natural, and gradual evolution of woodwinds right into all divisions.........

~G~

{Buzzer}

(Announcer) So sorry G! You didn't answer that post right so you lose 1,000 points!

When I said scholastic, I was saying drum and bugle corps....Hawthorne Gold plus possibly two more from Florida someday soon. That's all NO freakin' marching bands!

{Buzzer}

(Announcer) So sorry G! You didn't answer that post right so you lose 1,000 points!

When I said scholastic, I was saying drum and bugle corps....Hawthorne Gold plus possibly two more from Florida someday soon. That's all NO freakin' marching bands!

I dont even know if I read your post. Just looking realistically at the evolution of the divisons, and how opening the activity up for a scholastic division would be that much easier mimmicing the WGI method of naming divisons.

Sorry, Ill keep my 1000 pts, didnt even know I was playing

~G~

I dont even know if I read your post. Just looking realistically at the evolution of the divisons, and how opening the activity up for a scholastic division would be that much easier mimmicing the WGI method of naming divisons.

Sorry, Ill keep my 1000 pts, didnt even know I was playing

~G~

LOL That's okay!

I find it hard to believe hat the title of open class would be accepted for a couple reasons,..............first why then would name Division I be around if there are no other divisions like 2, 3 or 10,................this name change of DII/III would in effect cause Division I to have to change it's name, good luck with that,..................also, Open class in a sense gives the monicur of "open to all" and then infering the idea of equal or better than DI,..................again, good luck with that,.................aside from that, they really do need to get together in one class, and have the remaining DII corps, (what, maybe 2 or 3 of them) compete in DI......................or something..........

Gary:

I'm not sure you read this paragraph.

<<As for the potential of Division I corps directors deciding they should change the name of their division to “World Class;” it is worth noting that officially, “World Class” has been on the books and used interchangeably with the Division I nomenclature for several years. In recent years, references to the class shifted mostly to Division I because of the naming of Divisions II & III.>>