Eulogy for Horns in G

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sad but true...granted Pio was in fact out-numbered and even perhaps slightly less talented than some corps that were above us...it was said to me. There was a point of lost hope that we could catch anyone in brass, but the kids persevered and actually so did the staff. We didnt stop trying thats for sure. We werent that far back to pack it in. I just told the kids that if they wanted higher scores they would have to play better. Scores went up, but we didnt catch anyone in brass. We did close the gap to a few hornlines though. The season ended on a fairly positive note. Even with G horns, in a venue such as those DCI shows are in the last couple of weeks, the 42 horn players could not get the sound needed to compete without sounding crass. So we settled for the best sound we could get...not the loudest sound we could get!!! $1 to Jeff Mitchell...

Perhaps if a top six corps stayed on G's there may have been a ray of hope...I guess when youre in last place, they can say that stuff. I didnt take it as being said maliciously but it did make me think...

BTW...Roman is buying new horns. They will be Bb/F.

Donny

I personally loved the sound of Pioneer's horns this last season. Thanks for all the hard work!

Some food for thought...

I'm pretty sure the Spartans play on G. I think they have a pretty full hornline, and they've got quite a few gold medals and brass awards ... but I'd say not all is wrong for corps with G. Maybe there won't be a "death" of G horns if they become Div1 afterall. Likewise, I doubt that the Spartans would have a last place hornline regardless of what key their horns are in. Just my opinion.

And also, on the subject of mixing Bb and G.. Jersey Surf has played with the Bridgemen Alumni corps a lot in the past few years, with Surf on Bb and the Bridgemen on their old G horns. Ends up with a LOT of power and volume.

Edited by dutoutcatch

G bugles will be remembered most for the sad tirades by a child who didn't march but is so very vocal about the activity which he does not fully understand. :P

G bugles will be remembered most for the sad tirades by a child who didn't march but is so very vocal about the activity which he does not fully understand. :P

OK, you can stop with the personal attacks. They will be deserved until I start issuing personal attacks myself; until then, they are not. Plus, I'm not against Bb/F horns. I absolutely love the way they sound. If anything, I'd love to see six corps on Bb/F and six corps on G at finals.

Some food for thought...

I'm pretty sure the Spartans play on G. I think they have a pretty full hornline, and they've got quite a few gold medals (including this past year) and brass awards (not including this past year :ph34r: ) ... but I'd say not all is wrong for corps with G. Maybe there won't be a "death" of G horns if they become Div1 afterall. Likewise, I doubt that the Spartans would have a last place hornline regardless of what key their horns are in. Just my opinion.

And also, on the subject of mixing Bb and G.. Jersey Surf has played with the Bridgemen Alumni corps a lot in the past few years, with Surf on Bb and the Bridgemen on their old G horns. Ends up with a LOT of power and volume.

Pioneer won a lot of brass trophies in Div 2 as well. Honestly, Pioneer's 2007 hornline was pretty good...I am just saying what I was told by more than one brass judge. I have no reason to lie about it. I am very proud of what those students accomplished seeing that (especially) they didnt know what their show was until halfway through all days.

I totally realize that 16 year olds dont play like 21 year olds, but this isnt about the players, it is about the horns. We also had 20 less horn players than everyone else. So I am not making excuses, for the record. I am interested to see what a good winter and new horns will bring. Hopefully more horn players and returning brass line members...we will see

Donny

from my first year marching g-bugles were the most powerful sounds of that summer. I admit I miss them, but the horns corps field these days are top of the line. Still it's not the same marching with a stock(######) yamaha.

Kingmen were good, but Scouts Alumni is the loudest thing I've ever heard on the field...probly the loudest EVER in history

p.s. donny allen made pioneer 07's hornline sound amazing with those old bugles...still don't know how you did it donny.

pioneer 99 anyone?

Some food for thought...

I'm pretty sure the Spartans play on G. I think they have a pretty full hornline, and they've got quite a few gold medals (including this past year) and brass awards (not including this past year :ph34r: ) ... but I'd say not all is wrong for corps with G. Maybe there won't be a "death" of G horns if they become Div1 afterall. Likewise, I doubt that the Spartans would have a last place hornline regardless of what key their horns are in.

Or maybe they will, if the judges read your post. :sshh: