would random order of performance change scores?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind seeing either groupings of four (3 corps) or three (four corps) with a random draw in each grouping from quarters into semifinals ... say ...

17-16-15-14-13

12-11-10-9

8-7-6-5

4-3-2-1

... then, from semifinals to finals ...

12-11-10-9

8-7-6-5

4-3-2-1

Of course, if for example the fifth place corps is VERY close to fourth place, yet 5th draws the worst in its grouping and fourth draws the best in its grouping, that might make them upset ... but it might be fun to see if the Top 12 would be a little more different each time out instead of SO very similar each and every night during almost every Finals week.

The only problem I see with a random order is that lower placing corps would go on after higher placing corps. This happened in Memphis this past season. Pioneer went on after Crown and right before Cadets, so they were extremely under appreciated by those around me, and likely a lot of other people there too.

While I agree with you IN THEORY, I think that in practice it would add a lot of unneeded stress to the preformers.

I do think that the "going in groups" idea fixes a bit of this. However, what would u feel if you were going to preform an 11 minute piece of music... "sometime during the night?" That makes so many little things more important, like arriving on time or even the night before and everyone being ready to go at the begining of the WHOLE show.

I think It would cause needless panic.

Edit: till preformers get used to it, scores might dip a bit..placement would not.

Edited by Blueemrld8

yes and no for an idealist....it would make make things fair towards all corps and have more equal rehearsal time for lower placing corps comparing higher placed corps. Judges would score the honest true way (not that they don't judge accurately) and drum corps wouldn't be rigged anymore and the world would be a better place.(not biased)

but than again when have you seen the cavies, bd and cadets out of top 3? dan acheson are you listening?

While I agree with you IN THEORY, I think that in practice it would add a lot of unneeded stress to the preformers.

I do think that the "going in groups" idea fixes a bit of this. However, what would u feel if you were going to preform an 11 minute piece of music... "sometime during the night?" That makes so many little things more important, like arriving on time or even the night before and everyone being ready to go at the begining of the WHOLE show.

I think It would cause needless panic.

Edit: till preformers get used to it, scores might dip a bit..placement would not.

....not true at all...?

The only problem I see with a random order is that lower placing corps would go on after higher placing corps. This happened in Memphis this past season. Pioneer went on after Crown and right before Cadets, so they were extremely under appreciated by those around me, and likely a lot of other people there too.

thats the point. the top corps go on before intermission at a certain about of shows during the season, by the way.

at the least, the groupings would fix this from happening.

i think its a pretty good idea, personally.

Being involved in marching band I see this form of performance order all the time. I also see a lot of complaining about scores being off "due to performance order". Many people believe that having the bands/corps perform in order gives the judges an advantage in giving accurate numbers, at least numbers that place the units in the correct placement order. The most common argument is that two groups that score close together should be judged side by side. Having a Much lower or higher scoring group perform between them makes it more difficult on the judges and makes the numbers/placements less accurate.

the scores would be generally lower, and the range of scores would be wider, because the judges would have to leave 'room' between the scores (corps) to allow corps to be 'shuffled in'.

If I were a judge, I'm not sure I'd like having to compare a corps I saw at 6 p.m. to one I'd seen at 10 p.m.