DC-10s

TAFL

The old Pro Mark DC-10 Rob Carson model has been my favorite marching stick for ages. Without access to a goodly supply, though, we'll be using a Vic Firth stick, instead. The word through the friends network is that Rob can't supply anybody with the old sticks due to legal prohibitions. Pro Mark does make a DC10W model (in both hickory and oak) currently. Is this essentially the same stick as the original?

I'm thinking of ordering a pair of each wood. I figure if somebody says it doesn't feel the same as the original, I won't bother.

TAFL

our lead snare turns out to be a big fan of the DC10, also

The old Pro Mark DC-10 Rob Carson model has been my favorite marching stick for ages. Without access to a goodly supply, though, we'll be using a Vic Firth stick, instead. The word through the friends network is that Rob can't supply anybody with the old sticks due to legal prohibitions. Pro Mark does make a DC10W model (in both hickory and oak) currently. Is this essentially the same stick as the original?

I'm thinking of ordering a pair of each wood. I figure if somebody says it doesn't feel the same as the original, I won't bother.

TAFL

our lead snare turns out to be a big fan of the DC10, also

I've been on the Promark team for several years now, and I can assure you that the current DC-10's are made from the same cutters as they were back in the mid to late 70's. It is still a very short stick (15 1/2")and was great for matched grip when the drum was real close to the body because of the snare slings (instead of carriers).

I'm pretty sure that Rob sawed off the tips and shortened the length of a standard 3S stick to get what he originally used personally. When Rob won a couple DCI individual championships Promark snapped him up and designed a stick to his specifications. That's the DC-10 we have today ! I'm also pretty sure that the original sticks were made of the Japanese white oak...a little heavier and lasted a bit longer.

Robs last association with any one company was Remo where he was promoting their marching percussion and aided in product development.

Don't know if anyone knows this, but Rob was also a very accomplished organist ! I believe that he presently resides

in Iowa and is making a living as a church organist...

somewhat removed from the hustle and bustle of the music industry !

Anyway, PM me and I'll get you some samples to try !

Great sticks, you can find them in bulk online for all of you that are wondering where to grab some.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the 80s dc10s. They were perfect for the early harnesses which were much closer to the body. Also, it's true as someone above mentioned they are great for playing matched grip. Does anyone remember the DC17 (much longer) that came out by about 84? Boy those were some tough sticks to control!

Great sticks, you can find them in bulk online for all of you that are wondering where to grab some.