Did Narration cost Cadets the 2007 Championship?

Cadets Narration  

407 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Yes
    • No

I voted "no."

The narration may have cost Cadets' some fans, but it was well executed (let's face it...vocal presentation and inflection is just as important as presentation and support while playing a horn).

I saw some flaws in Cadets' performance on finals night and was HOPING (remember....BD alum here) that it would be enough, because the overall performance was simply stellar.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder...

Some people seem to think that the GE score would have been higher without narration. Is it a possiblility that narration actually helped the GE score and without it they wouldn't have done as well?

Well what's your question exactly? Are you asking if their show, as it was, would have scored lower in GE had they just unplugged the mics? Or are you asking if they would have scored higher in GE had they had a completely different show with no narration? Because clearly they designed the show around the narration.

dunno if it helped or hurt on finals night, but if it had been judged properly, it definitely would have hurt. Quantity aside, the quality just wasn't very good...AT LEAST IN MY OPINION!!!! :P

But they did lose a LOT of respect from fans.

Errr...did they? From fans? I doubt they lost any respect from actual fans.

I personally think the show is amazing and if I have my age-out year back (which was 2007, and I didn't march it), I would definitely want to march at The Cadets.

If anything, I think it's gaining them MORE respect.

I say this is a "if they had one more week..." kind of year. Yes I know they beat BD the week before finals, but I feel Cadets had the show and BD had the execution. If Cadets had one more week to clean and perfect I don't think it would have mattered how clean BD was...

I voted no, Blue Devils were much better on finals night while the Cadets displayed a visible drop off in performance level.

I think narration actually helped Cadets. They designed their show to win and threw everything they had into it – it seemed to me they were trying to make a point and part of that point was that a show heavy on narration could win.

Their guard was really below their normal Cadet standard, I would have had them in 6th. And if I consider the flag and uniform designed as a factor (which I don’t) even lower. Their drums were scored about right and I would have had their horn line even lower, I really was not that impressed – their tone on the loud hits sounded rather harsh and crunched with way to much upper end.

In my world – I would have hammered them in GE and had them in 6th – I think they got a gift in that the judges and DCI were avoiding making a statement about the narration by scoring them in a tie – by going neutral, they killed any debate (or attempted to) – seemed kind of convenient to me and in the Cadets case, undeserved.

Over all, I had them in 5th even if it was my least liked show in years