Difference between Bb and G horns

G Trumpet

rwksb100.jpg

Bb Trumpet

king_1117.jpg

G trumpets are stockier and shorter than Bb trumpets. G trumpets also have a more conical bore, as other people have pointed out.

..... trumpet

trumpet trumpet trumpet trumpet.

No, they don't. Being shorter and stockier has nothing to do with the bore.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I just saw the 1.5 comparison. :P

Just a thought...

Perhaps G bugles rocked because the top names in the game had been optimizing their hornlines in that G world for many many years... Especially since it required that everyone be taught how to play the horn (whether because they're used to playing Bb or F away from drum corps, or if they are learning a brass instrument for the first time anyway) whereas now with Bb and F it may be taken for granted that the players already know how to play the instruments... so the differences in the players' habits aren't addressed in a "built in" way like teaching a G bugle line would be...

*shrugs*

But to be more on topic, from my experience with playing soprano anyway, a soprano is noticeably heavier... but like many have said, it is "stockier" so it's inertia is different as far as horn moves go :P

Edited by DKracing

Just a thought...

snip...it's inertia is different as far as horn moves go :P

Now here's the learning curve no one speaks of! When you march a soprano for a while and go back to trumpet, beware of that first horns up. It's a little rough on the nose and chops!

Now here's the learning curve no one speaks of! When you march a soprano for a while and go back to trumpet, beware of that first horns up. It's a little rough on the nose and chops!

Every year of BK going back to HS marching band, I'd pick up my trumpet and be like "What the heck, this doesn't feel right at all" And then I'd blow out my chops within a half hour since I'd be used to playing on G :)

The newer, now more accepted Bb horns, have a little more "refined" sound. A student can come into a modern day corps, with his or her skill set intact and doesn't have to change or learn a new fingering chart.

OK, I'm confused. A "C" on a Bb trumpet has the same fingerings as a "C" on a G bugle. It's open. Granted, the trumpet's "C" is a concert Bb, and the bugle's "C" is a concert G. Are you talking concert fingerings? Because the brass charts aren't written in concert pitches.

Heck, I'm a drummer and I know that!

Garry

OK, I'm confused. A "C" on a Bb trumpet has the same fingerings as a "C" on a G bugle. It's open. Granted, the trumpet's "C" is a concert Bb, and the bugle's "C" is a concert G. Are you talking concert fingerings? Because the brass charts aren't written in concert pitches.

Well, judging by his username, he's a tuba/contra player.

On a trumpet, for the most part, no matter the key of the horn, the fingerings remain the same. I say for the most part, as orchestral trumpeters will often tranpose depending on either what the piece calls for, or which instrument they feel like using for the job. Effectively, tranposing on sight IS using different fingerings.

With tuba, in the band/orchestra world, parts are written in bass clef in concert pitch. No matter which tuba a player decides to use, the notes will sound the same (unique timbre of each horn aside). If he/she is using a BBb tuba, F is fingered open. On a CC tuba, F is played with 1st valve. Add to that the fact that contra parts for G contras (like all of the other voices) were/are written in treble clef and it's easy to see how things could get a little confusing for the uninitiated.

A tuba player coming from a band back in the day likely played a BBb horn at his/her school, and had to learn what are essentially trumpet fingerings (in a new clef, no less) in order to play in a G hornline.

The only substantial physical difference between the two is the length of the tubing.

Ding, ding the one I've heard......

Corpsmate needed a new lead pipe and got sent the wrong one. Quote was, "well if I want to join a Bb corps I could keep it.... nah..."

As far as size is concerned I own a 2V King Bari, used to play a 2V DEG and currently play a 3V Kanstul. All different sizes and the King looks like a kiddie horn next to the other two. All three are in G.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

They sound completely different.

"Loud Is God":

YES!!!! They do INDEED "Sound Different" my pretties. The "G" bugle DEFINED drum corps. To hear that "G" bugle sound vist any Alumni rehearsal or performance. The LOUDER, the better.

Elphaba