Difference between Bb and G horns

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading was more than kinda loud with their opening set (and in tune :P )..... Bb

Minnesota Brass was up their too but not sure what key they are in....

####ed if I can hear the key difference with my untrained ear....

Minnesota Brass was also Bb.

Well, judging by his username, he's a tuba/contra player.

On a trumpet, for the most part, no matter the key of the horn, the fingerings remain the same. I say for the most part, as orchestral trumpeters will often tranpose depending on either what the piece calls for, or which instrument they feel like using for the job. Effectively, tranposing on sight IS using different fingerings.

With tuba, in the band/orchestra world, parts are written in bass clef in concert pitch. No matter which tuba a player decides to use, the notes will sound the same (unique timbre of each horn aside). If he/she is using a BBb tuba, F is fingered open. On a CC tuba, F is played with 1st valve. Add to that the fact that contra parts for G contras (like all of the other voices) were/are written in treble clef and it's easy to see how things could get a little confusing for the uninitiated.

A tuba player coming from a band back in the day likely played a BBb horn at his/her school, and had to learn what are essentially trumpet fingerings (in a new clef, no less) in order to play in a G hornline.

When a person plays contra bugle, he can be handed music in either treble or bass clef (same fingerings so far--maybe). When he is handed bass clef, depending on who wrote the music, he may get a bass clef part in in G or in A. If he gets the bass in G, the fingerings won't be the same as any other brass horn out there, because a C on this part would be first valve (sounding a D on a G horn). We remedy the situation by transposing the bass clef horn parts to bari or contra in A to make the fingerings match throughout the horn line and to avoid confusing those who have played Bb horns and are familiar with those fingerings.

Edited by ravedodger

Well, judging by his username, he's a tuba/contra player.

On a trumpet, for the most part, no matter the key of the horn, the fingerings remain the same. I say for the most part, as orchestral trumpeters will often tranpose depending on either what the piece calls for, or which instrument they feel like using for the job. Effectively, tranposing on sight IS using different fingerings.

With tuba, in the band/orchestra world, parts are written in bass clef in concert pitch. No matter which tuba a player decides to use, the notes will sound the same (unique timbre of each horn aside). If he/she is using a BBb tuba, F is fingered open. On a CC tuba, F is played with 1st valve. Add to that the fact that contra parts for G contras (like all of the other voices) were/are written in treble clef and it's easy to see how things could get a little confusing for the uninitiated.

A tuba player coming from a band back in the day likely played a BBb horn at his/her school, and had to learn what are essentially trumpet fingerings (in a new clef, no less) in order to play in a G hornline.

It is true....yes, I was a Tuba player doubling on Contra. Yes I had to learn different fingerings. And to think, I was a music ed major for 2 years before I switched majors. Thanks for clearing that up !

Edited by Old School Contra Guy

I guess I have been a little stubborn. When arranging for Contras I would allow players to read in bass or treble clef with either transposition to be in the key with the rest of the horn or in real bass clef a whole step down.

But Tuba is a bass clef instrument...Tuba players read bass clef. I have been really stubborn about writing treble clef tuba. I have really encouraged learning bass clef to any of the old drum corps guys.

Donny

But if you're writing it for a G contra line and you're writing in bass clef, what set of fingerings do you write it for? Bb fingerings? C fingerings? What about Eb, or F? This is why transposed bass clef is a bad idea, it loses the universality that treble clef holds. If you see a C below the staff in treble clef written for the instrument you're holding, you know exactly what note to play, even if in reality it's a G, or a Bb, or an Eb. Brass bands around the world have written their music in all treble clef for a very long time for exactly this reason. Rather than convincing drum corps guys to learn bass clef, I encourage tuba players to learn to read treble clef; a good tuba player ought to be able to read any music, rather than just what's native to his horn.