to the best of my knowledge Dick (still can't believe that's him) never marched with CRU... he did a brief stint with Brigs and several others...

I love listening to Cru 65... it was a fantastic year for us... and I can play every note of the French Horn parts to this day... It was an interesting blend of Doc Mizma and Sal Sparraza arrangements... If anyone cares... that was 50 horns including an unheard of 6 contras... key soloists were Bruce Winkleman, Mike DiMura (who still plays for St. Joe's alumni) and Ray Mura... Drum line was done by Colin Campbell... VERY clean...

Gary's note says that it is the Portland recording and I believe it... judging by the cleanliness... the Dream recording has the thunder and audience reactions which this doesn't... the Legion state recording was not anywhere near as clean...

Someone sent me the prelims recording (short show) ... our strong 1st place finish in prelims made the difference in finals...

i have the nys legion and dream from that year. i never heard the nationals. that drumline was great. tom & jerry, fuzzy, colin. they made the difference . and ofcourse doc's drill. :thumbup:

Thanks for that recording Skinny Tom...I have the NYS Legion from that year, but have never heard the portland recording...absolutley great!!!

It's time to spill the beans on our hero so here goes...

The one, the only, .........Dick Pronti!

THANKS Steve!! thumbup.gif

Tom,

Thanks for the Portland post. The 1965 state has always been a favorite of mine, but I have never heard the nationals recording before. What a robust and tight sound! It must have been a rush to play in the super merger corps of 1965. It sounds to me like drum corps animals at play having a great time! Breaking Hawthorne's strangle hold on the championship must have been thrilling. I regret that I never saw the corps live that year.

Please Read Before You Post

If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)

If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.

When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.

Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..

Guess Who # 465 ?

This one's knocked a few APPLES around too...

i have the nys legion and dream from that year. i never heard the nationals. that drumline was great. tom & jerry, fuzzy, colin. they made the difference . and ofcourse doc's drill. :thumbup:

SHHHSSHHHH

No one is supposed to know that DOC actually wrote the drill (as well as most of the music) in 1965... (although were he alive, Doc would claim to this day that Vince "sent" him the drill from Las Vegas)

the drill was totally taught and being prepared for the first show in Batavia when Vince returned from his months in Las Vegas... The day Vince returned was rehearsal at Webster High School (now the Jr. High)... the first thing he did was tell us all we were going to beat Cabs in Portland OR... I will admit that many of the veterans just rolled their eyes - but within a few weeks he had raised the funds and the trip was ON... this remains as one of Vince's great coups in his life...

Everyone knows how much I thought of Vince - our close relationship is well known, but the late Doctor Edward Mizma (PHD in chemistry from Bucknell University) is one of the most underrated people to ever work with a major corps...

SHHHSSHHHH

No one is supposed to know that DOC actually wrote the drill (as well as most of the music) in 1965... (although were he alive, Doc would claim to this day that Vince "sent" him the drill from Las Vegas)

the drill was totally taught and being prepared for the first show in Batavia when Vince returned from his months in Las Vegas... The day Vince returned was rehearsal at Webster High School (now the Jr. High)... the first thing he did was tell us all we were going to beat Cabs in Portland OR... I will admit that many of the veterans just rolled their eyes - but within a few weeks he had raised the funds and the trip was ON... this remains as one of Vince's great coups in his life...

Everyone knows how much I thought of Vince - our close relationship is well known, but the late Doctor Edward Mizma (PHD in chemistry from Bucknell University) is one of the most underrated people to ever work with a major corps...

do you remember that everybody got a copy of the drill on paper? can you imagine the time doc put into that? yeeooww

slow pace here... don't give things away too quickly. (wink)

since some of us weren't even alive when they were a corps, it's no too fast for us

:tongue:

The initials AJC were one of his creations.