Tom, I'm with you on this. I didn't recognize him immediately either, from that picture.

Wait a minute... wasn't that a "leg scratch", as it was described in the drum corps publications back then??? :tongue:

leg scratch? sounds like polite 1960's reporting... I believe the pant material he usually pulled on (frequently after a solo) was a bit higher than the leg...

The picture of number 4 is deceiving. I think most of us that knew him will agree on that. But now, with everyone on track, it’s safe to say a few words about him.

A few years back, I had the pleasure of running into two old friends from our drum corps days, Chuck Ohlmiller and Buddy Perry (RIP). Both marched in the French horn section with #4 in Sky. The story from them is that he used to carry a church key; more commonly known as a beer can opener back in the day while marching. One popular moment was at the 63 Dream when he did the concert solo, turned to head back in line and did the infamous scratch with the opener and pant leg adjustment as some would call it. I believe the crowd responded more to “The Scratch” than the solo. Depends on how you viewed it. That crowd was nuts by that point anyway.

Here's a few other stories. First there was #4 playing the part of a deaf mute while at a diner with George DelMonte. #4 would mumble and George would translate. Long story short, #4 bangs his knee up against some vending machine and lets out audible words in a scream. “It’s a miracle!” George screams. “He hasn’t said anything since the accident!”.

Another story as told to us by Frank Dorritie. He did a similar act at a rest stop by mumbling and building a small house out of French fries at the urging of Pee Wee. Similar results. The gag was played a few times and always left the innocent bystanders close to tears.

Finally, I was told by Chuck O., back when we marched, that there were times when #4 needed to wear some kind of corset and it took two guys pulling the strings tight so he could fit into the red cadet top.

We might have missed the initial boat on this photo, but there’s no denying he was probably the most charismatic character our activity has ever known.

May he be resting in peace, but still raise a little hell along the way.

Edited by gsksun4

The picture of number 4 is deceiving. I think most of us that knew him will agree on that. But now, with everyone on track, it’s safe to say a few words about him.

A few years back, I had the pleasure of running into two old friends from our drum corps days, Chuck Ohlmiller and Buddy Perry (RIP). Both marched in the French horn section with #4 in Sky. The story from them is that he used to carry a church key; more commonly known as a beer can opener back in the day while marching. One popular moment was at the 63 Dream when he did the concert solo, turned to head back in line and did the infamous scratch with the opener and pant leg adjustment as some would call it. I believe the crowd responded more to “The Scratch” than the solo. Depends on how you viewed it. That crowd was nuts by that point anyway.

Here's a few other stories. First there was #4 playing the part of a deaf mute while at a diner with George DelMonte. #4 would mumble and George would translate. Long story short, #4 bangs his knee up against some vending machine and lets out audible words in a scream. “It’s a miracle!” George screams. “He hasn’t said anything since the accident!”.

Another story as told to us by Frank Dorritie. He did a similar act at a rest stop by mumbling and building a small house out of French fries at the urging of Pee Wee. Similar results. The gag was played a few times and always left the innocent bystanders close to tears.

Finally, I was told by Chuck O., back when we marched, that there were times when #4 needed to wear some kind of corset and it took two guys pulling the strings tight so he could fit into the red cadet top.

We might have missed the initial boat on this photo, but there’s no denying he was probably the most charismatic character our activity has ever known.

May he be resting in peace, but still raise a little hell along the way.

WooHoo!! Thanks Glenn! (good to "see" your OK, I was beginning to wonder where you went, here and on the "other" forum...hehe)

I too did not recognize #4 until some recent clues.... (He taught the Jean-ettes (Lynn MA) when I was marching with the Continentals and I marched with him in 1974. We were good friends through my days of competing.)

It's a bit embarrassing having not recognized our #4 right away...doh.gif

It's a bit embarrassing having not recognized our #4 right away...doh.gif

I believe it's the expression on his face in that photo that throws people off Tony, but there's no denying that largest neck in drum corps.

This photo probably was taken over one of those famous Skyliner bus poker games.

This photo probably was taken over one of those famous Skyliner bus poker games.

That would be correct ... the poker game dominated the back of the bus, with money passing back-and-forth from the from their "backers" ... LOL ... these were marathon "all night" games ... some guys even "tag-teamed" during the night to keep their stake in the game ...

:-)

I believe it's the expression on his face in that photo that throws people off Tony,

Guess so.... after realizing who he is it's tough to think I missed it!

If it is it makes one wonder, with that look on his face, if he was winning... tongue.gif

(Hope you are well, you've been MIA for a little while. Your friend (Dave C) was also worried... w00t.gif)

Well.... I was... lets see... 17 years old and ONE year into my drumcorps career in 1969. :tongue:

15 and my 7th season.... worthy.gif

How ya doin' Steve!! (Freddy says hi! thumbup.gif)