never marched, but would love to one day

I think this is awesome! Sam has given a ton of great advice! Watch lots of youtube videos of different drum corps and see what style you like.

Yes, old people march! I just finished marching in the rifle line of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps and I'm 51 years old. The average age was around 48 or 49. I look forward to marching the Chinese New Years parade with the Renegades next year - my husband and I have our plane tickets, car rental and hotel set up already!

Have fun and don't give up. It's a blast!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for going AWOL, I needed to focus on finishing high school for a bit.

As for joining different corps, do people often go interstate to join a corps that they really like?? I've watched a few videos, but they're all div 1.

cavaliers 2006

renegades 06

cadets 06

phantom regiment 06

blue devils 07

cavaliers 07

I'm not really sure about div 2 and 3 because it sounds like it'd be tricky tracking down all the corps which field older age groups in these divisions.

Sorry for going AWOL, I needed to focus on finishing high school for a bit.

As for joining different corps, do people often go interstate to join a corps that they really like?? I've watched a few videos, but they're all div 1.

cavaliers 2006

renegades 06

cadets 06

phantom regiment 06

blue devils 07

cavaliers 07

I'm not really sure about div 2 and 3 because it sounds like it'd be tricky tracking down all the corps which field older age groups in these divisions.

I believe that 2006 was the first time in 5 years that the Cavs had more kids audition from the state of Illinois than from the state of Texas. The San Francisco Renegades are a DCA corps (different ballgame - no age out restriction). If you're from Australia and are interested in marching Drum Corps in the northern hemisphere, I would recommend the west coast of the U.S. (and I'm an east coast guy). Both BD and SCV have excellent cadet corps, and could probably help you out if you're that interested. Breaking in with a top tier World Class corps with no previous marching experience might be kind of difficult. The French horn is cool, but most corps use mellophones now - no big deal - most kids make the transition with no problem. BTW, the Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts ARE all male corps...the rest are co-ed. Try DCI.org for more info.

Hope that helps and all the best,

Piper :)

kauliflower,

Where in Australia are you from?? I'm guessing Sydney since you are talking about HSC exams.. I'm a Brisbane Drum Corps fan!

I'm actually flying over in 08 as a summer volunteer for the Troopers..

I would maybe have thought about marching.. but seeing as I'm both too old being 21 this year and a violin player.. oh and also the fact I would be horrible at the marching part... Ether way tho I come from a more behind the scenes area in the music industry down here so working behind the scenes in Drum Corps as a volunteer works for me just fine!!

But hey I think you should deff look further into it. Get a little marching experience. Talk to your music teachers at school.. they are normally pretty in clue with what music stuff goes on in their cities... I'm sure they would be able to help u find other marching bands or drum corps groups in your city.. If not call the local council.

I know its gonna be hard to find stuff.. I've done heaps of research into drum corps over the last 6 months and a lot of it has been into trying to find Australian drum corps and marching bands and it is hard.. But they are out there!!! They just might not be the same as American Drum corps... there’s more pipe bands down here.. and when u find marching bands they are more your normal marching band line up rather then drum corps style.

When u are researching different Drum Corps groups now don’t forget they have changed “Div 1, Div 2” to “World Class” and “Open Class” I’m sure a lot of the stuff on the net still is going by Div 1, Div 2

-Kass

Thanks Piper! I must take a closer a look at SCV, but they don't seem to have many youtube videos :(

Yup yup, sydney. I did find brisbane drum corps on the net! It looks exciting too and I reckon it'd be great to get experience there as well. Hehe, marching holiday to queensland :D Maybe I'll have a talk to the teachers, but because i've graduated, every time i go back to school i get strange looks, as if to say "aren't you sick of school already?!"

Pipe bands look really cool too, but I was hoping to build on my brass skills rather than reskill to percussion/fife/bagpipe. I have always wanted to play the bagpipe though, hehe.

WOO! I was in syd for the 1st time the other weekend for the ARIAs.. Nice little city you have there.. when I say little I mean WAY bigger then Brisbane!

ahhh there has to be something in Syd!! How anoying.. I'm a totall music nerd so i'll still be trawling over the net for stuff rite till I leave so if I find anything at all as far as drum corps and marching bands in syd I'll post it straight away for you.. Are there any UNIs or sports clubs down there that have marching programs?

Hey guys!

My name is Rachel and like the topic title says, I've never actually marched. The reason I'm here is that I accidentally wandered across drum corps on facebook and began to look into it from there. It looks really really interesting and I've been playing the french horn for 4 years now and so I thought there might be the slightest possibility I could get involved, but the major hurdle is.... I live in australia. Still, I could always take a gap year from university some time (i'm 17 now, leaving high school) and give an audition a go, but before I make some sort of gargantuan effort to make it into a drum corps first try, I think I should get a better idea of the sort of experience drum corps actually is. So here I am. Anyone want to help?

There's not really much in the way of marching bands over here, I can only find one within 30 km of me, so any info on marching in general would be helpful too.

Hello to all- This is my first post, and funny enough probably the most appropriate. I have been an avid DCI fan since I was introduced to it back in 1999. Our drill writer in high school told me I should march, but I never attempted it. Lots of reasons why not, but the desire never left me. Long story short, I've aged out of marching DCI, but I am strongly considering marching DCA- CorpsVets more specifically. Long story short, Rachel, if you want to march, then I think you should totally do it. It might not happen for you now, but perhaps it will work out another time. Since you are still fairly young, you never know what sort of opportunities could open up to you. I'm not trying to pry into your finances, but would it be possible for you to travel to California or something for an audition? Your specific geography alludes me, so if California isn't the closest US state then I apologize. But perhaps flying in would be a possibility? I have friends who quite literally fly across country to participate in their corps. Hopefully something will work out for you.

Actually LAX would be the closest and cheepest place for her to fly into...

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
Hey guys!

My name is Rachel and like the topic title says, I've never actually marched. The reason I'm here is that I accidentally wandered across drum corps on facebook and began to look into it from there. It looks really really interesting and I've been playing the french horn for 4 years now and so I thought there might be the slightest possibility I could get involved, but the major hurdle is.... I live in australia. Still, I could always take a gap year from university some time (i'm 17 now, leaving high school) and give an audition a go, but before I make some sort of gargantuan effort to make it into a drum corps first try, I think I should get a better idea of the sort of experience drum corps actually is. So here I am. Anyone want to help?

There's not really much in the way of marching bands over here, I can only find one within 30 km of me, so any info on marching in general would be helpful too.

You should audition for the Raiders! We're located in Wayne, New Jersey which is about 15 miles outside of New York City, so it shouldn't be too hard to fly in (I assume there are always flights going to NYC from most parts of the world). We don't get people from outside of New Jersey and Pennsylvania often, but I live very close to NYC so I or someone else could pick you up from the airport.

We're an Open Class corps (formerly division II/III, as for age we have all kinds of variations, mostly from college and upperclassmen in high school), but it's a great start, especially for someone that's never marched before, and will prepare you for any World Class corps very quickly. The best part is that horn auditionees are almost guaranteed to get in! We always seem to come up short to our goal of 45 horns, so we'll take just about anyone regardless of experience! (I played saxophone before I started, and wasn't very good at marching). So if you really want to march, but are afraid of getting cut and wasting a trip to America, then the Raiders is for you!

For more information, you can either PM tnmaiello (Tom Maiello, our director), or look at this topic: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=106872. Here's a link to the Raiders' website, too: Raiders Drum & Bugle Corps. I hope to see you this summer! :)

Edited by Myusik4Jakassez