Trumpet Range?

Discombobulato

Ok, I really want to improve my range. I can hit a D above high C pretty much on command, although not with the greatest tone but I really want to improve. For some reason its like a barrier between Eb and E. I can hit an Eb with a little more effort, but I just can't get that half a step higher. Also on a good day I can hit F's well, just its shakey. Anyone have advice on improve range, and tone quality in the upper register? I'm not exactly sure how, but I really want to improve. Any really good excersizes or anything? Thanks for the help.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I really want to improve my range. I can hit a D above high C pretty much on command, although not with the greatest tone but I really want to improve. For some reason its like a barrier between Eb and E. I can hit an Eb with a little more effort, but I just can't get that half a step higher. Also on a good day I can hit F's well, just its shakey. Anyone have advice on improve range, and tone quality in the upper register? I'm not exactly sure how, but I really want to improve. Any really good excersizes or anything? Thanks for the help.

Find a teacher that can play high and understands what it takes. That said, you may have to do it a different way, but any good high range teacher knows that everyone is different and will be able to help and encourage you.

It takes a lot of persistence, hard work, experimenting and time. Don't give up! Keep trying - be patient. Be careful not to use too much pressure and stop when you're fatigued. (burning chops).

Contrary to what a lot of people think, it does take some pressure to keep the mouthpiece on your lips and the higher and louder you play, the more pressure you'll need. To a point.

There is no point in pressing the mouthpiece into the lips so hard that the sound is strained and weak. (you'll do it, though, we all did)

Most people fail at range development because they give up and decide it's not for them. Which is cool, there are more important things than really high range.

Perseverance and experimenting in your range practice will pay off.

Just my two cents and my range is to a quintuple high A. (just kidding... I'm good to about a double high Bb almost all night and double C and a little above when I'm fresh and lucky :) ) That's been more than sufficient for me. Good luck!

There is a book by Jay Zorn that is very good. Also, speed of air and relaxing when you do "get up there."

Don't rush it!

Read though the dedicated Forums and find a system that is close to how your chops are set up now and go with that.

Trumpet Hearld

I personal follow the Jerome Callet Forum.

Edited by Bob H

Read though the dedicated Forums and find a system that is close to how your chops are set up now and go with that.

Trumpet Hearld

I personal follow the Jerome Callet Forum.

I had good results with Jerry's original "Super Chops" method.

Experimenting is important because there is no one method that works for everyone.

Keith is right on the money. Don't rush it! You could hurt yourself - seriously.

Persevere for sure, but be patient.

It happens quickly for some, but usually it will come over time.

Think of a power lifter that says, "I want to be able to lift 500 pounds."

Do you think you walk up to a bar bell loaded with 100 pounds lift and a week later you're clearing 500 pounds?

Practice what you want to do. I've found that having a good strong base was most important in range development. Get all the basics rock solid while you're building your range.

You could try using some of the longer tubed alternate fingerings at the point where you are having trouble getting the next half step up. The extra resistance might help you get it. Or the sharpness of the valve combinations might make it easier when you try it again on the more open valve combination. But it sounds like your range is sufficient for most things already.

You could try using some of the longer tubed alternate fingerings at the point where you are having trouble getting the next half step up. The extra resistance might help you get it. Or the sharpness of the valve combinations might make it easier when you try it again on the more open valve combination. But it sounds like your range is sufficient for most things already.

Great idea!

I know it wasn't until I started experimenting with different methods and equipment that my range started to increase and become solid.

I would stick with at least a medium size mouthpiece if you haven't been playing too long. Go with a shallow piece if you can control it and know the sound you're looking for. That will help with endurance and range. However, the sound might not fit in an ensemble if you're doing a concert band or something like that.

Try your hardest NOT to press.

Donny