How do you get that good corps snare sound?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

If you are going to reef the tops, I think you should go with kevlar on the bottom. Mylar doesn't have the range that kevlar does and won't vibrate as much as if the top was a little looser. When you combine the reefed top with mylar on bottom, you get the really dry cavie sound. It's kind of cool because it's reefed but it has depth because of the pitch of the bottom heads. Mylar bottoms work best with lower tension on top. I personally love mylar. I would love to march them. It's such a beautiful sound when it's clean but sounds like poo when it's dirty.

The key element is resonance. Find out which pitches the drums are suited to. The manufacturer has this info.

Back in the day, a lot of instructors my lines competed against wanted to know how I got the sound out of my lines and I've never told anyone until now.

Start with the bottom head, tune it to a pitch in the proper range. Make sure each lug matches, which means that some lugs may not be as tight as others, but only with minor differences.

Tune each gut to the same note as above. Tune the top head to the same note. Tune all the other drums to that drum.

The sound will carry, even at 4 inches off the drum, and it works regardless of the brand of head, or type of gut.

regards,

John Swartz

Oaklands 77-80

Staff:

Oaklands, Buccaneers, Glassmen, and others.

Edited by sarnia sam

What the Cadets do= Use a whitemax on top and a clear plastic Remo head on bottom. Crank the top and the bottom head pretty tightly. Then wrap up a napkin and tape it to the bottom head. The Cadets also only use 7 strands of snares instead of the 14 that come with the Yamaha drums. It took alot of playing around to find the right tension for the snares on the drums though.

Heres a secret though- If you play clean- the judges will think the tuning sounds great!! It works every time.