1 valve sop music/ANYTHING

Mersinger3

Back in 1968 I was in the Racine Junior Scout corps and we played on G/D piston rotors. Since it was a feeder corps with kids age 10 to 14 most of whom had never played a horn before joining, the music was kept simple, and 3 out of the 4 songs that we played that year were in the key of C. That meant that on our G/D horns, the rotor was not needed for those songs. We came off the line with "Magnificent Seven" (C-E-E-D C-C-C-E-E-D E-G A-G-F-C ...). We played "Windy" for concert (E-G-E-D-C-A-A-G-E-G E-G-E-D-C-A-A-G-D ...). We closed with "Born Free" (C-G G-A-G-F-E-C ...). Easy stuff, but for a kid corps, the music was recognizable and able to be played reasonably well.

A G/D bugle is a lot like a simple harmonica in that the open notes on the bugle (C-E-G) are the same as the "blow" notes on a harmonica, while the piston notes on the bugle (D-F-A-B) are the "suck" notes on a harmonica. Try playing that great harmonica classic "Oh Suzanna" on your bugle (C-D-E-G-G A-G-E-C D-E-E-D-C-D ....).

Happy G/D bugling :thumbup:

Edited by J.C.

jimF and gbass- Your horns came from the same dad!!!!!! haha

The Arabia shrine still has some more if anyone is interested. Mostly sops

Craig Zlatnik

LMAO, I saw the 'kingtbone' screen name and thought it sounded familiar.... :smile:

And daddy took good care of the "kids".... :smile:

Yup. Everyone that has come over to see 'em has gotten a kick out of 'em. Thanks again, Craig!

A G/D bugle is a lot like a simple harmonica in that the open notes on the bugle (C-E-G) are the same as the "blow" notes on a harmonica, while the piston notes on the bugle (D-F-A-B) are the "suck" notes on a harmonica.

"Push the piston in, but DON'T SUCK !!!"

"Push the piston in, but DON'T SUCK !!!"

Good Advice :smile:

Back in 1968 I was in the Racine Junior Scout corps and we played on G/D piston rotors. Since it was a feeder corps with kids age 10 to 14 most of whom had never played a horn before joining, the music was kept simple, and 3 out of the 4 songs that we played that year were in the key of C. That meant that on our G/D horns, the rotor was not needed for those songs. We came off the line with "Magnificent Seven" (C-E-E-D C-C-C-E-E-D E-G A-G-F-C ...). We played "Windy" for concert (E-G-E-D-C-A-A-G-E-G E-G-E-D-C-A-A-G-D ...). We closed with "Born Free" (C-G G-A-G-F-E-C ...). Easy stuff, but for a kid corps, the music was recognizable and able to be played reasonably well.

A G/D bugle is a lot like a simple harmonica in that the open notes on the bugle (C-E-G) are the same as the "blow" notes on a harmonica, while the piston notes on the bugle (D-F-A-B) are the "suck" notes on a harmonica. Try playing that great harmonica classic "Oh Suzanna" on your bugle (C-D-E-G-G A-G-E-C D-E-E-D-C-D ....).

Happy G/D bugling :smile:

This, J.C., has to be the best discussion of the topic I've seen anywhere. The original poster should owe you a cold one at DCA.

Im a Bari player but i have a 1 valve G/D old W.F.Ludwig sop . i want to learn anything , i know basic bugle calls , but i want to use the valve . if any old guys could help a young gun out , it would be greatly appreciated!

-Dylan

I also have a Ludwig slip/slide sop that I play every day. It's a fun instrument to play but chanllenging at times. I have used it at DCA I&E. Look at my AVATAR. I'm the short bald sop player right of center playing the my Ludwig besides two and three valve horns during the mass ensemble. :thumbup: