'65 NY Amer. Legion Championships

"It sure sounds like it was 1966......VFW was in NYC (actually Roosevelt Field in Jersey) and then a few days later everyone went to Washington DC for the Amer. Legion Nationals.

Yes, it all sounds like good memories for you."

Yes, 1966 VFW in Roosevelt Stadium was the night of the infamous IC Reveries 'sit down strike' on the starting line which led to the birth of the 27th Lancers the following year. I wasn't able to go, but have heard the story many times.

Two days later, we were off to D.C. for the Legion Nationals: Friday night rehearsal lasted until past midnight, an early morning run-through, followed by prelims Saturday morning. Finals were Sunday night, so we practiced all day Saturday and all-day Sunday. What a weekend!

Col. Crawford arranged our music that year, and Don Angelica was the horn instructor. I'm certain he visited us at some point that weekend to listen and advise, but I don't recall exactly. It may have been Sunday afternoon when we had a music rehearsal under some trees next to our hotel, the Mariott Twin Bridges.

At retreat that night, after third place was announced, Bobby Hoffman turned and calmly told us all: "Everybody, remain calm if we win. No celebrating." Then he proceeded to jump on me, cheering, when the second place score was announced and we knew we had won!

Fond memories of my first-ever Nationals.

although i didn't march that year because of my age i was there that weekend in d.c. what a show. what a retreat and i have to say i couldn't tell who won the show. that was a great a.l. nat's. my gut said sky wom but the cabs did a great job that week end. must have been fun for you john being your first a.l. nats with cabs and winning.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boy did this thread go OT.

The topic was NYS 1965 Championships...LOL

I didnt remember them being in Washington DC that year. :thumbup:

boy did this thread go OT.

I didnt remember them being in Washington DC that year. :tongue:

you always go ot also. " JOE " :thumbup:

Thanks for the post Nanci,,,Doug Beecher.....too cool!!!!!!!!!!

" boy did this thread go OT.

I didn't remember them being in Washington DC that year."

"Not really OT, DA......both NYState champs were in Washington that year. (Jr. and Sr.)"

Oops! Sorry! I guess we did kind of 'hijack' the the thread! Don't blame Cossetti, Duke -- I just couldn't resist replying to Cindy's reminiscences of her D.C. trip. And just out of curiosity: Who were the NYS Champs that year ('66)? Was it Crusaders? Sky? and juniors: St. Joe's?

66 juniors St Joes, pretty sure Sky

"Not really OT, DA......both NYState champs were in Washington that year. (Jr. and Sr.)"

Oops! Sorry! I guess we did kind of 'hijack' the the thread! Don't blame Cossetti, Duke -- I just couldn't resist replying to Cindy's reminiscences of her D.C. trip. And just out of curiosity: Who were the NYS Champs that year ('66)? Was it Crusaders? Sky? and juniors: St. Joe's?

in 66 the sr. champ was sky. jr champ was st. joes i believe.

St Joe's were perennial NY champs forever!!! used to love watching Utica Yankees stomp off the field every year thinking they should have won , and Bronx Kingsmen in1967 tried to tip over are bus when they lost ( no disrespect intended to the Yankee/ Bronx people) I know they gave it to Yankees 1971 because of over age in Joe's, but you still didn't really beat us

Edited by zarblap