Calling it what it is

Take a look at your post history and try to tell me you're not a Hoppy supporter. This should be amusing.

And then, Mr. Moderator, you can aplogise for calling me a liar.

You said this...."DCI and Hoppy are infallible to you."

As I have said before, The Cadets from 2001-2004 are not on my own favorites list of shows. I like parts of some, esp BWBB and Moondance, but on the whole they did not make my own faves list any of those years...and I have posted that many times.

I support the things I agree with here on DCP, nothing more and nothing less. Please show me where I said either of them are infallible. I also posted doubts about the reorg proposal as Hoppy first submitted it. I also posted about sound quality issues the Cadets had with their amps in 2005.

OK...care to apologise to me now?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take 2 :: OK, I'll bite. What would it take, Mike, for a corps to officially convert? Assuming that DCI will accommodate a division just for the corps-turned-bands, what's the catalyst? You have my interest piqued. Do tell.

If the interested corps admins decided they wanted to make such a conversion.

What is bizaare, is seeing all the DCI status-quo defenders in this thread, argue "what does it really matter what equipment is used? because they cannot defend the continued used of the term drum corps..

oh i bet i could defend the continued use of the term, but it just isn't that big a deal to me. when i started marching -- 1998 -- we were a "drum corps" in the loosest sense of the word, related only to the historical drum corps in that we played instruments fundamentally pitched in G, and we wore military-style uniforms. other than that, it was a modern marching band.

it didn't bother me that we didn't have a color guard that -- you know -- presented the colors. to my generation of marchers -- and to many marchers today -- "drum corps" means "impossibly good marching band that takes place in the summer."

and i'm ok with that, because the time of "drum corps" came and went 30 years ago.

If the equipment etc isn't really important - return the activity to actual bugles and marching drums and color guard.

I'm holding my breath, hypocrites...

why on earth would we go back to bugles? the marchers these days are legit musicians who need to play "real" instruments all summer to have a chance at getting back into shape for ensemble auditions before school starts.

Perhaps this will help, taken directly from an email exchange a few days ago. I was responding to a question, then you see his response...

The only place where I see him say they are bands has a question mark at the end. I see him saying DCI should go that route, but I don't see him saying they are there yet. Did I misread your quotes (isn't that poor net etiquette, BTW..to post private Emails?)?

It can just be "DCI" and have it not stand for anything.

Thats fitting...

So, IS drum corps a form of marching band? And if so, should we be rejoice in that?

And what happens if drum corps changes to an extent that it appears and sounds like a High School or College Marching Band? And that's Marching Band as a subset of the marching band genre (watching my capitalization). If the only differences between the two are "experience" and "intensity", then there is no difference the people in the stands can see.

Gee, is this a DCI group or some college MB? Must be DCI, they look like they are getting a more intense experience. :grouphug:

Okay, just a little question here to help me understand where others are coming from.

I think we can all agree that marching bands are not drum corps. But, are drum corps a certain type of marching band?

No.

I'll grant you that drum corps instrumentation is a subset of marching band instrumentation at this point. But that does not make drum corps a subset of marching band.

Police use a subset of the military's equipment, but that does not make the police a subset of the army.

why on earth would we go back to bugles? the marchers these days are legit musicians who need to play "real" instruments all summer to have a chance at getting back into shape for ensemble auditions before school starts.

Because, as it has been said before, "the instruments don't matter.."

Are you saying the instruments do matter?

The only place where I see him say they are bands has a question mark at the end. I see him saying DCI should go that route, but I don't see him saying they are there yet. Did I misread your quotes (isn't that poor net etiquette, BTW..to post private Emails?)?

Well, we already know about Hoppy's grammatical prowess. He clarifies by saying,

90% of our members come from bands, and they are looking for the experience at the 10th degree.
(the marching band experience)
That’s us!!!!!
(bands at the 1oth degree)
Our fans …. Band folks … we need to embrace bands and not be DIFFERENT. What will different get us?

He is saying that the members come from bands, the fan base is band and DCI cannot be different from band and survive.

As far as ettiquette, I am printing a small portion from one of several email exchanges. I am doing so to clarify his attitude now which is different from 1997. This is not secret information and he would be willing to share that with anyone.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27