"Stock charts" for drum corps

davidp

That's a whopping $200 at best.

And the writer gets 15% of retail.

Might as well buy the J.W. Pepper charts. In a couple of seasons, you'll be able to use the clarinet parts.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the writer gets 15% of retail.

Might as well buy the J.W. Pepper charts. In a couple of seasons, you'll be able to use the clarinet parts.

Why ain't the Bill Moffit Sound Power series still being sold?

Couldn't resist as I thought about this name for the first time in 30 years after reading the thread....

Publishers sell stock arrangements for bands because (1) there are a heck of a lot of bands out there and (2) it can lead to the purchase of method books, etc. How many drum corps do you think will buy stock drum corps arrangements? Given that there aren't nearly as many corps as there are bands, it wouldn't be worth the setup costs.

If you want stock charts, why not buy band charts and transpose as necessary? Most of the lower level band charts double many parts, so in a typical arrangement the flutes, clarinets and trumpets (usually split) are playing the same thing. The 'bones, tenor sax, and baritone horn are playing the same thing. The bari sax and tuba/sousaphone play the same thing, as does the (french) horn and alto sax. Then there are drum parts, which may be pretty decent for a parade corps.

Seems to me that the band charts are the way to go.

(BTW, you can still run into performance for profit issues even though the charts are "stock".)

Publishers sell stock arrangements for bands because (1) there are a heck of a lot of bands out there and (2) it can lead to the purchase of method books, etc. How many drum corps do you think will buy stock drum corps arrangements? Given that there aren't nearly as many corps as there are bands, it wouldn't be worth the setup costs.

If you want stock charts, why not buy band charts and transpose as necessary? Most of the lower level band charts double many parts, so in a typical arrangement the flutes, clarinets and trumpets (usually split) are playing the same thing. The 'bones, tenor sax, and baritone horn are playing the same thing. The bari sax and tuba/sousaphone play the same thing, as does the (french) horn and alto sax. Then there are drum parts, which may be pretty decent for a parade corps.

Seems to me that the band charts are the way to go.

(BTW, you can still run into performance for profit issues even though the charts are "stock".)

Can you do that? Seriously, would using only the brass parts, or combining some of the parts to get the full effect be "legal?" I just wonder about the legality of "arranging" an arrangement. There are a couple of band charts I wouldn't mind using for mini corps, but I wonder if if you can tailor them to suit the group. That's my whole reason for asking about this in the first place. If it's okay to use band charts for comps like MCA, or DCA I&E, then never mind; you may have solved my problem :tongue: .

Stock Charts, lol.

It would be like the highschool band competitions where you see 8 shows of pirates of the Carribean.

::Shoots self::

Or the year when everybody and their brother played "Georgia On My Mind." :tongue:

I personally would LOVE for someone to publish stock charts... but we have kind of a unique circumstance...

At Navy, we use our drum corps to provide pep bands for Navy sporting events.... which means I have pep band music arranged for G bugles... Man, I wish there were stock charts available so I wouldn't have to arrange "Louie, Louie" and "Wipe Out" for bugle! haha!

On an aside, if anyone wants to do drum corps charts of standard pep band "stand" charts... I would certainly be in the market to buy them.

Jeff

I think if you stick to small ensemble brass charts (possibly with optional add on parts) there is a market. Just spent a few days away with 5 other brass players and we would have loved to have had some old corps charts to play over the weekend. Cost of the chart is not a huge issue here................

Wow. When I saw this, at first I actually thought "stock charts" meant stock market charts/graphs... except they would be to follow drum corps scores. Just goes to show you how much of an economics geek I am.

...I wouldn't have to arrange "Louie, Louie" and "Wipe Out" for bugle!....

!!! I always thought it'd be kool for the Kingsmen to play....what else - Louie Louie....