2008: The Season of...

la mejor

Blessed Sacrament's 92 show was wonderful!! One of my favorites from that organization. They were amazing and still had fun!

Side note - I cannot tell you how many guards are performing to Moonlight Sonata and Somewhere (from West Side Story). All I keep thinking of is San Marino's 1995 show (Moonlight Sonata) and Northmonts 1995 show (Somewhere). BUT Norwin High School and Pope High School both have wonderfully updated versions of "Somewhere" and the treatments of "Moonlight Sonata" (Onyx, Gates Chili, Elizabethtown Independent to name a few) are all very unique and provide for great programs, even though the song is the same. Someone needs to do "Illusions" Shopping show from 1989... anyone?? anyone???

I have seen a number of both through Replay, Ft. Lauderdale regional, youtube, you name it! However, Imogen Heap is still reigning over the activity this year again.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if winter guard is theater [and i beleive it is] then where is the humor in today's activity?do we take it all this so seriosly that we have forgotton or lost the ability to laugh at ourselves and with each other?

pathos we have plenty of but where's the *comedy?just a little levity please.

their is currently a sea of tedium and monotony that threatens to drown us all.

what we need now more than ever is a "forbiddden broadway" but for winter guard! :tongue:

* blessed sac's "homecoming queens got a gun"

field of view's "a crazy day at the salon"

I feel like we take the activity a little too serious anymore. Lets face it no one wants to risk a lesser score for the sake of being funny! And I really wonder if a Judge faced with 2 equally accomplished shows, one is a pretty show and the other is a funny show, would not award it to the pretty show. :tongue:

I just pulled out my old videos and re-watched the 1997 Field of View show. . .it is by far, they funniest show I've seen at WGI, especially for those who are cynics...their show literally takes you through how to play the game to be succesful in WGI. I love that they end the show with saying, you may now proceed to color within the lines. . .

Watching this video made me realize how much I miss Field of View.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

field of view 1997,15th place titled "a study in conformity and avocado". :doh:

Edited by dugg

I just pulled out my old videos and re-watched the 1997 Field of View show. . .it is by far, they funniest show I've seen at WGI, especially for those who are cynics...their show literally takes you through how to play the game to be succesful in WGI. I love that they end the show with saying, you may now proceed to color within the lines. . .

Watching this video made me realize how much I miss Field of View.

I wish I could understand all the quotes in that show! The sound quality isn't so great on my copy.

Ive seen a few "Wild Horses" by Natasha Bedingfield this year :) i love that song, i really wanted to do a guard show to it! Theres this guard from George Mason University named Mason Winterguard, and they're doing it this year which is really cool cuz my name is mason too. :P

Where's Todd Marcocci when we need him! :-)

the 1997 video is by far the WORST video I've ever seen produced for WGI

if wgi goes hi-def we will actually be able to see the sabres! :whip:

Edited by dugg

It's an Imogen Part 2 year as well. If I hear "Candlelight" one more time, I'm going to take my pen and jab it in my ear.

yes yes, as much as i love imogen heap, its getting kinda old in guard shows. but i must say Chesire's show is amazing. they had a great show in finals in trumbull. well done ladies. :whip:

I've been seeing a lot of guards start off in a giant mass/pod/group this year. A lot. Especially coming from a far corner of the floor (Fantasia, Pride, Code Black, Black Gold)........it's starting to weird me out.