Interesting Comment from Hop

PETA does this kind of thing. Does anyone really know what a dolphin wants? But "well-meaning people" feel free to define the argument and speak on the dolphin's behalf. And it only leads to frustration, rather than understanding. I would bet the dolphin just wants to be LEFT ALONE!

Ummmm.... You mean "left alone" as in not held in captivity, trained to do a bunch of stupid tricks for people for no reason other than as a money-making scheme for human beings? Or "left alone" as in not get caught in nets? That's exactly what PETA would be trying to do. Get them LEFT ALONE! (just mirroring your use of caps :tongue: )

Anyway, the rest of your post made sense. I just wanted to call you on this one since it kind of didn't make your point about PEOPLE wanting to be left alone.

Ummmm.... You mean "left alone" as in not held in captivity, trained to do a bunch of stupid tricks for people for no reason other than as a money-making scheme for human beings? Or "left alone" as in not get caught in nets? That's exactly what PETA would be trying to do. Get them LEFT ALONE! (just mirroring your use of caps :tongue: )

Anyway, the rest of your post made sense. I just wanted to call you on this one since it kind of didn't make your point about PEOPLE wanting to be left alone.

Too-shay.

A lousy metaphor when taken to the end. A pretty good one for establishing the thought pattern, though, didn't you think? :)

Anywho, fun dialogue.

And the fact that you marched Troopers 86 gives you instant credibility with me!! I think I'll go listen to Red Pony.

Ummmm.... You mean "left alone" as in not held in captivity, trained to do a bunch of stupid tricks for people for no reason other than as a money-making scheme for human beings? Or "left alone" as in not get caught in nets? That's exactly what PETA would be trying to do. Get them LEFT ALONE! (just mirroring your use of caps :doh: )

How would humans know what dolphins want? After all, we humans are only the third smartest animal on the planet, and dolphins are second. :tongue:

So long, and thanks for all the fish. ($1 to Doug Adams)

How would humans know what dolphins want? After all, we humans are only the third smartest animal on the planet, and dolphins are second. :tongue:

So long, and thanks for all the fish. ($1 to Doug Adams)

Too bad this wasn't the CE forum, the battle lines would be drawn already and the insults would be flying over no-man's land...

Not that different actually.

Great thoughts. I agree. It's amazing how people like George (and others) talk about diversity but yet makes the corps unaccessable to those, like you said, inner city Phily or Detroit. This is what made corps great in the past was that corps were like clubs and they took kids off the streets and taught them. Today's corps want the kids already to go. No real grass root teaching.

Just in this past Sunday's Detroit Free Press there was a great article about this exact same issue on diversity. How there is only 15 blacks in currently in the NHL. The main issue is about accessability to ice rinks, and in many cases, costs. In talking with a past fellow employee who has a son in travel hockey, it costs him $2000+ just for equipment and rink fees, that doesn't count the travel cost.

Maybe the Detroit Free Press needs to do an article about why there are only 15 white guys in the NBA!

Maybe the Detroit Free Press needs to do an article about why there are only 15 white guys in the NBA!

Here's that article: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008802170633

Considering the timing of Hoppy's comment and this article, you think he read the Detroit Free Press and thought "Gee, drum corps is the same way."

Coincident? I think not.

Edited by sburstall

Um...I'd try the 2000+ dollar tuition for the top units first before we start to deride "tradition".

Couple that money with the fact that most music education/performance majors (aside from those at historically black colleges and universities) are, indeed, white...and, well, there you go.

It is what it is, and no amount of tweaking the music, uniforms or "tradition" is going to make DCI or the Cadets (or any other corps) a pan-cultural paean to the world community.

Tell you what, though, George: drop the fees down to about 250 dollars for a Cadets "Cadet" corps, go into inner city Philadelphia and get some kids together and give them some drum line equipment (get Yamaha, etc to donate it) and create a few lines to compete against each other regionally.

There's your entry point into the multicultural world of today...which sounds suprisingly like the entry point many, many years ago people used to get kids off the street and into a little thing called drum corps.

Funny, no?

I won't hold my breath to see that happen, though. :tongue:

Just caught this, great post.

I'll throw a couple thoughts out there. Forgive me if someone else brought anything like this up...

- Let's remember that Hopkins brought up a problem. And many on here are jumping on him saying that he should be the solution. Perhaps he has a role, but making a statement like "hey Hopkins, why don't you start corps in the inner-cities if you think there's a problem" doesn't seem appropriate. Had Jeff Fiedler made this comment, many would have found it prolific. (and I'm no Hopkins apologist, I might add).

- I've often been to orchestra concerts and been dismayed by the lack of diversity (lack of African Americans, in particular) seen both on stage and in the crowd. Presumably it has the same roots as the "problem" identified by Hopkins.

- Let's remember that Hopkins brought up a problem. And many on here are jumping on him saying that he should be the solution. Perhaps he has a role, but making a statement like "hey Hopkins, why don't you start corps in the inner-cities if you think there's a problem" doesn't seem appropriate. Had Jeff Fiedler made this comment, many would have found it prolific. (and I'm no Hopkins apologist, I might add).

I won't attack the guy for not solving the problem, my criticism is directed at him because he seems to exacerbate the problem with his upping of the equipment ante on a regular basis. It seems similar to universities who complain about lack of diversity amongst their student body while raising tuition and entrance requirements.

Edited by Tekneek