? for the experts

wolfgang

I'm not sure I'm an expert, but I would expect it would be very low. They don't do enough with their equipment to be competitive in World Class. They don't do enough with their bodies and the triad to even be competitive in A Class. It was ahead of it's time, no doubt, but that was 17 years ago, and a lot has changed.

Equipment and movement scores aren't based on the quantity of choreography-- They are based on the quality of the choreography and performance. However, that being said, a guard that attempts more movement and achieves it more successfully is likely to get a higher score in that caption. Same with equipment.

I'd have to go back and watch the video again, but I do believe they spun and moved pretty well and the coordination of effects and logical order of the show would still have them in a decent spot in terms of GE and EA. Honestly, though, that show would probably be considered Open class in today's WGI.

Edited by quegrawks

On a side note: they had a 7th or 8th grader spinning rifle in that show. She spun for at least 6 years in Miamisburg's guard and only rifle. Her brother was the one underneath the platform with a hand cranked fan to make Marilyn's dress go up at the end.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

I would say it probably would make finals in open class, but would be in the 13-15 range. It's a great show, but the stuff high schools are doing now is a lot different. *just my opinion*. If it did get into finals, it would probably be a crowd favorite.

Equipment and movement scores aren't based on the quantity of choreography-- They are based on the quality of the choreography and performance. However, that being said, a guard that attempts more movement and achieves it more successfully is likely to get a higher score in that caption. Same with equipment.

I'd have to go back and watch the video again, but I do believe they spun and moved pretty well and the coordination of effects and logical order of the show would still have them in a decent spot in terms of GE and EA. Honestly, though, that show would probably be considered Open class in today's WGI.

I didn't intend to imply that it was about quantity. I'm talking about the difficulty of the vocabulary. Their equipment vocabulary is lacking (by today's standards). And most of their equipment parts are prestented on upright bodies either stationary or traveling in a pedestrian manner. You can't even be competetive in A Class now without layering body and equipment most of the time. The design and construction I think still holds up today.

I didn't intend to imply that it was about quantity. I'm talking about the difficulty of the vocabulary. Their equipment vocabulary is lacking (by today's standards). And most of their equipment parts are prestented on upright bodies either stationary or traveling in a pedestrian manner. You can't even be competetive in A Class now without layering body and equipment most of the time. The design and construction I think still holds up today.

Look at it his way. At Dayton there are generally 200 + A class guards. Top tier finalists will definitely be those who are pushing toward Open class abilities and doing so in a consistent and fairly successful way. Does that mean the ones who don't are non-competitive? No way! They may be state or circuit champions! They may have made finals at a WGI Regional, but when seen against hundreds of others (rather than a dozen or maybe 23 others), they may not be as close to the top as others. Fans may still enjoy the show, and they may be pushing themselves to excel with what they have, but there are just at least 15 other teams who surpass them.

The same was true of Miamisburg in the show you are discussing. I've never been a big fan of the show, but I do appreciate that they were receiving credit for what they did.

I'm waiting for a 4th class: SUPER World

Edited by quegrawks

I think that Choctawhatchee's show would fare much better.. of course, i'm a tad biased as that show is one of my all time favorite high school shows... probably would have to be in open class though.

On a side note: they had a 7th or 8th grader spinning rifle in that show. She spun for at least 6 years in Miamisburg's guard and only rifle. Her brother was the one underneath the platform with a hand cranked fan to make Marilyn's dress go up at the end.

For years Light Brigade has had youngsters in their guard. I forget what year it was, but they had a 14 year old on rifle chucking 5s along with the rest of the rifle line. And then there was that little 10 year old who did the quad at the end of their show one year...