"2 points per block rule" ?

Why do we have this so-called " 2 points per week block rule ". After watching guards for the past 20 years, it almost seems that the top 4 or 5 units in each class is already determined by the end of February. I'll agree that with practice a show should improve, but why should a score change 6 points for a show that is performed the same, ( or in some cases, worse) just because it is 3 weeks later ? I will agree that it is impossible to have a perfect, impartial scoring system when you have people evaluating a performance, not a finish line to cross or points to score. Why can't the judges evaluate what is front of them that day alone, not based on how they did 2 or 3 weeks ago, or who the staff is or how long they have been in a class ?

Why do we have this so-called " 2 points per week block rule ". After watching guards for the past 20 years, it almost seems that the top 4 or 5 units in each class is already determined by the end of February. I'll agree that with practice a show should improve, but why should a score change 6 points for a show that is performed the same, ( or in some cases, worse) just because it is 3 weeks later ? I will agree that it is impossible to have a perfect, impartial scoring system when you have people evaluating a performance, not a finish line to cross or points to score. Why can't the judges evaluate what is front of them that day alone, not based on how they did 2 or 3 weeks ago, or who the staff is or how long they have been in a class ?

All directors registered with WGI got a letter from Jim Mahoney yesterday saying exactly what you are suggesting. The "two points per week" stuff is out the window, and so the unofficial rankings sites are all jacked up. There's really no way to tell who will end up where until the very end.....when we're all in the same place at the same time. :thumbup:

All directors registered with WGI got a letter from Jim Mahoney yesterday saying exactly what you are suggesting. The "two points per week" stuff is out the window, and so the unofficial rankings sites are all jacked up. There's really no way to tell who will end up where until the very end.....when we're all in the same place at the same time. :thumbup:

So how are they determining the draw for WGI? Does a guard who killed everyone in their respective class week 1 with a 78 perform before a group who is struggling, but got an 80 in week 8? I know they were grouping them in fives or fours by scores. . .but does the time/date of the event factor in at all? :thumbup:

So how are they determining the draw for WGI? Does a guard who killed everyone in their respective class week 1 with a 78 perform before a group who is struggling, but got an 80 in week 8? I know they were grouping them in fives or fours by scores. . .but does the time/date of the event factor in at all? :thumbup:

The world may never know :)

Also from the letter:

WGI’s internal ‘ranking’ process is only used as a scheduling tool- to distribute guards across prelims, rounds, etc. Access to this tool is limited to key WGI personnel (not judges, or caption managers, or myself).

The world may never know :)

Also from the letter:WGI’s internal ‘ranking’ process is only used as a scheduling tool- to distribute guards across prelims, rounds, etc. Access to this tool is limited to key WGI personnel (not judges, or caption managers, or myself).

A-ha! thank you. . .the plot thickens. . .

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

You mean perhaps judges should rank higher a group that looked better on the floor that day?

Hmmm, interesting idea, full of possibilities, if we can just convince everyone...

Nah, it would never work! :thumbup:

Who cares about the score? It's just a way to properly rank the guards. It's all relative.

Two points per week is just a good goal to shoot for to consistently progress.

Rank matters, score doesn't.

Scores are not growing at the same rate we've all come to expect, and I am glad Jim addressed it. It's better than just thinking no one is recognizing the growth the programs have had over time. It does mean that the rankings pages out there are all out of whack though, since they assume two points growth and it hasn't happened that way this season. For example, I don't think anyone who has seen them thinks River City is anywhere near a true ranking in the 20's, but because they've been out and others haven't, the others are automatically getting points for growth instead of an accurate score from judges.

Oy, try explaining to an instructor why they haven't gone up 8 points just because it's been 3 weeks since the last time they came out! I think too many instructors have come to expect scores reflecting growth even if their program hasn't grown. I expect scores to reflect what is going on at that time on the floor for that competition. I like to think most judges are using that philosophy when they judge and not simply basing their scores on a previous score for that group.

All directors registered with WGI got a letter from Jim Mahoney yesterday saying exactly what you are suggesting. The "two points per week" stuff is out the window, and so the unofficial rankings sites are all jacked up. There's really no way to tell who will end up where until the very end.....when we're all in the same place at the same time. :ninja:

How will they do the schedule for the championships?