"Open Class" Classification

Marc...thank you very much for the insight you provide. I stand corrected. Was the lack of revenue share because essentially there was no revenue to share last season? Or is it that DCI is not going back to a "pay for play" system for Open Class corps.

Because if this is the case, then all the puffy chested attacks I received last season would be moot. I called the "Open Class" designation as insignificant because it was merely a name change and a combination of corps into one lumped pile which doesn't really favor the former IIIs. And for this I was blasted, when it appears I was essentially correct.

My "facts 2 and 3" from this thread were based on what I had gleened from those highly charged attacks I received in posts calling me an enemy to II/III corps etc.

So, here's a question for the folks in the room? Why did this move get unanimous approval if it was just a name change and a dump into the same basket? Was it this or...was DCI going to toss II/III to the curb?

WARNING: :tongue::tongue::beer: (has nothing to do with Memphis Sound...moderator, feel free to make a separate topic)

DCI chose to eliminate the "pay for play" system feeling that the charge wasn't in the Open Class' best interest. Of course, with that, the small amount of pool money paid at the end of the season was also eliminated. In addition, the fee that DCI charges to run an Open Class show is considerably smaller mainly because the draw for our shows doesn't quite strike the chord that it would if we had even one World Class. While this is a sad reality, it's reality none-the-less.

Now, one of the tasks the Open Class Advisory committee has embarked on, and one that I'm a part of, is to strategize and conceptualize how we can make Open Class shows a good draw, and how we can all market our shows better so that they will get larger crowds and, subsequently, make more money that could be then paid out to our groups.

Of course, getting feedback and ideas from the community at-large would also be appreciated (I know I'm opening up Pandora's Box, but what the heck!)...

Now, as for the choice to change our name to Open Class...I can only speak for why I/Capital Sound chose to approve that change.

My own feelings, and what I opined to the Open Class body, were that the numerical designation, "Division III," gave the false impression that we were the "chum" of the activity...i.e. the worst and least talented. This contributed heavily to our division's difficulty in recruiting. Very few of us had been able to draw the maximum 79 members that the division allowed. Some even fought to even make the 30 necessary to be allowed onto the competitive field.

By eliminating the number designation, and focusing on the type of corps we are, we've (Capital Sound) seen a tremendous jump in membership that I believe never would have happened if we had stayed, "Division III."

More importantly for the division as a whole, being called Open Class has tremendous potential for making us a unique product within the drum corps activity, which would translate to making our product something that fans will want to see.

Hope this sheds some light...

By eliminating the number designation, and focusing on the type of corps we are, we've (Capital Sound) seen a tremendous jump in membership that I believe never would have happened if we had stayed, "Division III."

That sure says a mouthful. Thank you, Mr. Gofstein, for bringing this perspective to the conversation. I just saw an impressive poster that DCI included in the magazines they mailed to band directors this month. It featured Open Class, World Class and International Class corps with several corps photos and the logos of the various classes. It seems that there really is a plan for marketing the Open Class right along with the World Class. Good to see the International Class getting recognition, too.

I hope that the success Mr. Gofstein has experienced with this change in name is not unique to his organization, and that all of the corps experience a trends of increased membership due in part to a more focused effort on marketing their unique attributes which contribute to DCI as a whole. A change in name won't cure all of their ills, but is certainly a good first step towards gaining recognition.

Topic split