"Open Class" Classification

Especially the open class corps who no longer get "performance fees" at Open Class shows. Thanks DCI.

Untrue foolishness.

Untrue foolishness.

Actually, it is quite true. The contract we received from DCI for running a show this summer states that there are no performance fees for the Open Class corps. The only fee to DCI is for judges and administration for the show.

That's why everyone should donate to the Open Class corps to help them pay those outrageous fuel costs!

Well, I believe it's true that they don't get paid at the show - all profits are distributed at the end of the tour instead. But hasn't that been the case for several years now?

You are correct. It's a profit-sharing pool. It has been like this for at least five years, and even longer in the east and west, which eliminated the performance fees years ago to facilitate more shows and to encourage each of the corps to run a show to support one another. There was little sense in corps raising the money to merely pay each other.

That's not "untrue." Open Class corps won't be receiving performance fees at their shows this year.

When was the last time they did? It has nothing to do with "this year."

FACT: Performance fees for individual shows for II/III corps and no Open Class corps have NOT been around for at least 5 seasons.

FACT: Open Class corps will share revenue at the end of the season (usually paid out in September).

FACT: Open Class corps should see a significant increase in this revenue in the 2008 season as DCI has SWEETENED the pot by adding the two Open Class corps into the FAB 5 package. Thus, fans wanting the BEST seats for World Class competitions also MUST buy the two Open Class tickets as well.

CONJECTURE: Maybe some of these people will decide to go to the Open Class shows, will find out they like Open Class shows and will become fans of Open Class too.

<horns down>

FACT: Performance fees for individual shows for II/III corps and no Open Class corps have NOT been around for at least 5 seasons.

FACT: Open Class corps will share revenue at the end of the season (usually paid out in September).

FACT: Open Class corps should see a significant increase in this revenue in the 2008 season as DCI has SWEETENED the pot by adding the two Open Class corps into the FAB 5 package. Thus, fans wanting the BEST seats for World Class competitions also MUST buy the two Open Class tickets as well.

CONJECTURE: Maybe some of these people will decide to go to the Open Class shows, will find out they like Open Class shows and will become fans of Open Class too.

<horns down>

I am, in no way, going to chime in on the main portion of this topic (the issues/concerns with Memphis Sound)...

HOWEVER, I do want to clarify some mis-conceptions regarding Open Class fees.

Tom is right on FACT #1...Performance fees for individual shows no longer exist.

However, FACT #2 & #3 are not correct. We do not receive ANY type of fee for Open Class only shows (not even a revenue share). This was changed prior to the 2007 season. Since DCI's fee for hosting an Open Class show is significantly less than for a World Class show, DCI is not in a position to pay a performance fee. The Open Class Advisory Board is currently exploring ways of fixing this so that everyone can get something for their efforts...especially since fuel is considerably more expensive.

ALSO, Open Class will not financially benefit from the Fab-5 package, in that we won't be getting fees from it's purchase. However, it will benefit Open Class in that it will, theoretically, put more butts in seats for Semis & Finals...and help in trimming/eliminating the Open Class budget shortfall with DCI.

I would be happy discuss details on any of this stuff with any of you (but, I'd prefer to do it off-line)...

I am, in no way, going to chime in on the main portion of this topic (the issues/concerns with Memphis Sound)...

HOWEVER, I do want to clarify some mis-conceptions regarding Open Class fees.

Tom is right on FACT #1...Performance fees for individual shows no longer exist.

However, FACT #2 & #3 are not correct. We do not receive ANY type of fee for Open Class only shows (not even a revenue share). This was changed prior to the 2007 season. Since DCI's fee for hosting an Open Class show is significantly less than for a World Class show, DCI is not in a position to pay a performance fee. The Open Class Advisory Board is currently exploring ways of fixing this so that everyone can get something for their efforts...especially since fuel is considerably more expensive.

ALSO, Open Class will not financially benefit from the Fab-5 package, in that we won't be getting fees from it's purchase. However, it will benefit Open Class in that it will, theoretically, put more butts in seats for Semis & Finals...and help in trimming/eliminating the Open Class budget shortfall with DCI.

I would be happy discuss details on any of this stuff with any of you (but, I'd prefer to do it off-line)...

Marc...thank you very much for the insight you provide. I stand corrected. Was the lack of revenue share because essentially there was no revenue to share last season? Or is it that DCI is not going back to a "pay for play" system for Open Class corps.

Because if this is the case, then all the puffy chested attacks I received last season would be moot. I called the "Open Class" designation as insignificant because it was merely a name change and a combination of corps into one lumped pile which doesn't really favor the former IIIs. And for this I was blasted, when it appears I was essentially correct.

My "facts 2 and 3" from this thread were based on what I had gleened from those highly charged attacks I received in posts calling me an enemy to II/III corps etc.

So, here's a question for the folks in the room? Why did this move get unanimous approval if it was just a name change and a dump into the same basket? Was it this or...was DCI going to toss II/III to the curb?

From David Eddleman:

The directors wish to align their corps with how the currently-named Division I corps compete. This would clarify for the public that ‘Open Class’ is essentially a mirror image of the current Division I, with the exception that the corps generally travel fewer days and have fewer members

It's more or less a marketing change. Division II and III does sound a lot like the lower ends of division I, or farm leagues or whatever you want to call it.

They explain a good deal of their reasoning behind the name change here:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4...f3-61b784ceb769

I don't think that we will see end results this year or even next. It's a process that will develop over time as the name sinks into the DC community, and I would hope by then that "Open Class" can be seen as more than just the lower end of DCI.... but that all depends on how they are marketed from here on out.