2008 Kilties Spring Preview Concert

"I don't mean to be picking on this section but I can..." etc.

So, they played their ENTIRE 2008 show? Plus three other tunes? Not just the 2008 "Opener"? Not just the "first half" or "parts" they know? In March? Tennors doing cool visuals already? In March????

Yes, the WHOLE music repertoire was performed. From my perspective (which was on stage behind everyone in an echo chamber of sorts) everything was performed well. Resident Tenor Master Mind David Hochstetter did a terrific job on the vibes during Water is Wide as a tribute to Jim Heisinger.

The Tenors are a very interesting group and there visuals are entertaining to say the least.

If so, then I'm simply and completely impressed/scared that a corps has already "performed" their entire musical book -- in public. In March???

Your review is what I would expect to hear in June of the Kilties. So I guess that means they have their act together??

Yes. Scott and staff are doing a fantastic job.

How hard is the music?

I can only speak on the percussion book. It is by far our most challenging book since I started in '05. But is probably the most fun to play since then. Jeff Moore did a great job.

How did the audience react?

Lots of applause and a standing "O" at the end. Very positive and constructive feedback. I am pretty sure no one in the house left with a sour taste in their mouth.

Lot of brass - how do the sections break down?

Seeing Bill answered on brass #'s. Guapos numbers for percussion are correct. We are using every bit of battery equipment we own.

Do they have a guard yet?

Yes. And they seem to grow by 2 to 3 members a camp. ;) They are doing great work.

Tell us more! Must know more! Anybody else with info/impressions??

Edited by KiltieBD3

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Yes it is, Dan.

And to second what Guapo said, what a bass drum line. The whole drumline has stepped it up several notches during my time off, but especially the bass drummers; wow. :grouphug:

Thanks John. Always been here. Just needed the book.

And interesting group....you know I've been called a lot of things, but I'm not sure if interesting has ever been one of them.

Correction:

The independent drumline that performed is called "The Kenosha Beats". I'm pretty sure there's evidence of our existence on YouTube.

Edited for REALLY stupid grammatical error - DUH!

Edited by StevensGrip

Correction:

The independent drumline that performed is called "The Kenosha Beats". I'm pretty sure theirs evidence of our existence on YouTube.

The name of the Kenosha Beats has now been corrected.

And interesting group....you know I've been called a lot of things, but I'm not sure if interesting has ever been one of them.

I use the term loosely of course :tongue:

I too attended the run through on Sunday. Thanks Beth for the invite! The music was impressive. I think Guapo was being a little hard on the soprano section. It was a March rehearsal! I thought Bobby was incredible. Seeing 8 snares was great. They seem to have a sense of purpose. Looking forward to seeing this show on the field this summer.

I too attended the run through on Sunday. Thanks Beth for the invite! The music was impressive. I think Guapo was being a little hard on the soprano section. It was a March rehearsal! I thought Bobby was incredible. Seeing 8 snares was great. They seem to have a sense of purpose. Looking forward to seeing this show on the field this summer.

I don't know if he was intentionally being hard on the Sopranos but more of writing(critiquing) the section he is most familar with. Having marched Soprano in the corps for 5 years or so. I would probably be just as hard on a bassline or drumline if I were to have been in his postion Sunday.

Thanks for coming. Glad you liked it. :tongue:

Edited by KiltieBD3

I was there and it was great. Please read my review by EITHER going to: www.royalairs.org and clicking the link to the blog OR go directly to the blog:

Read my blog

"I don't mean to be picking on this section but I can..." etc.

So, they played their ENTIRE 2008 show? Plus three other tunes? Not just the 2008 "Opener"? Not just the "first half" or "parts" they know? In March? Tennors doing cool visuals already? In March????

If so, then I'm simply and completely impressed/scared that a corps has already "performed" their entire musical book -- in public. In March???

Your review is what I would expect to hear in June of the Kilties. So I guess that means they have their act together??

How hard is the music?

How did the audience react?

Lot of brass - how do the sections break down?

Do they have a guard yet?

Tell us more! Must know more! Anybody else with info/impressions??