Shotgun Warm-up

raidertuba

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FM7, GM6, AbM, BbM, CM <----- (I think.)

Not intending to be a smart-butt, is this for G horns or for Bb/F? And, if in Bb/F, is the progression in concert key? I'm just curious.

If you were being smart, you would have laid out the notes and see which was playable on a G horn with one valve, two valves, or no valves (depending on the era). Or otherwise laid it out in various interpretations to see which fits. Or matched the recording up with the interpretation.

Personally I thought you were just referencing the minute thirty warmup period. But I couldn't figure when they switched from a pistol to a shotgun or vice versa.

Not a stupid question:

I was referring to the written notes being played. So the first chord would be F, A, C and E. The second would be G, B, E, G and so on and so forth. That, of course, if assuming that every instrument is reading in the same key. If you're using mixed-key instrumentation, the Bb instruments would have to play a whole step higher and the F instrument would have to play a 5th higher. And whether you are playing in G or Bb/F, you can use the same sequence. It will just sound a minor 3rd different depending on which instrumentation is playing it.

Not a stupid question:

I was referring to the written notes being played. So the first chord would be F, A, C and E. The second would be G, B, E, G and so on and so forth. That, of course, if assuming that every instrument is reading in the same key. If you're using mixed-key instrumentation, the Bb instruments would have to play a whole step higher and the F instrument would have to play a 5th higher. And whether you are playing in G or Bb/F, you can use the same sequence. It will just sound a minor 3rd different depending on which instrumentation is playing it.

Thanks. I was just having this idea in my head that if it was in a uniform concert key, it could transpose for whatever and be universal.

And it can.

FM7, GM6, AbM, BbM, CM <----- (I think.)

A few pointers on using chord symbols:

The major third is implied. Use a lowercase m after the letter name to denote the minor third, or a sus to denote a 4th.

A 6 after this indicates the added sixth, the fifth is also played. A 13 indicates that the sixth replaces the fifth.

Next comes the seventh. Here the uppercase M indicates a major seventh. Without, it is the minor seventh.

Next are the extensions. The + and - signs are used to indicate modifications of the fifth and ninth.

aug can be used for the raised fifth. A diminished chord can be either a dim or a small circle.

There are some variations of this system, but they only confuse the issue. Some writers use a lowercase lettername to indicate a minor, but they are asking for trouble.

Write the above progression FM7 G6 Ab Bb C and you will have no problems. Unless they are the wrong chords.

without the 5th in the G6 chord...is it actually Em, 1st inversion? I havent tried this on piano, so I am just asking as well.

I think Tom Santino is the first to use this progression if my information is correct.

without the 5th in the G6 chord...is it actually Em, 1st inversion? I havent tried this on piano, so I am just asking as well.

I think Tom Santino is the first to use this progression if my information is correct.

Ahhhhh. Don't ya just love Harmony 101?