Best Ice Castles?

Poll  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which DCI performance of "Through the Eyes of Love" from Ice Castles is your favorite?

• Cadets 1980
    • Madison Scouts 1980
    • Madison Scouts 1981
    • Madison Scouts 1982

In my opinion, one of the most beautiful charts in drum corps. I don't really care for Garfield's arrangement of it, but I love how the Scouts used it in the early '80s. I love 1980 for the insanely long held out chord at the end with the drum major taking a picture and unfurling the banner, and it's a longer arrangement than the others, but I think overall 1982 takes the cake. The company front in that show, I think, is the best out of the three, and the crowd goes berserk. Great french horn and soprano solos (aside from the frack), and awesome ending chord. How about you guys?

Also, some pictures to go along:

1980 (final chord)

53f32d98519a5acb8e2ef97eabcf5a03.png

1982 (company front)

2350884491_ba4606f0ce_o.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, one of the most beautiful charts in drum corps. I don't really care for Garfield's arrangement of it, but I love how the Scouts used it in the early '80s. I love 1980 for the insanely long held out chord at the end with the drum major taking a picture and unfurling the banner, and it's a longer arrangement than the others, but I think overall 1982 takes the cake. The company front in that show, I think, is the best out of the three, and the crowd goes berserk. Great french horn and soprano solos (aside from the frack), and awesome ending chord. How about you guys?

1980 (final chord)

1982 (company front)

Madison 1980 - Poll Over. (Now someone will call me arrogant) :thumbup:

1980 (final chord)

1982 (company front)

1980! AWESOME!

Yeah, 1980 Scouts. :thumbup:

I need some time to think about this one... it's between Madison 1980 and 1982. I'm leaning toward '82, but it's a really tough choice. This is definitely one of my 3 favorite drum corps songs along with Malaguena and The Way We Were.

-Weedy

1980! Madison's performance has one of my favorite brass attacks in their 1980 closer (after the company front, and right after the ensemble pause) - like a trip-hammer releasing an explosion of air through those horns. Freakin' fantastic! The final chord, middle horn rip, and drum major's showmanship help this one take the cake!

1980 Finals was my first live drum corps show ever. Not a bad first show to attend, huh?

I think the best version was done by one of the Canadian all-girl corps in '80 ... Don't remember the name.