i have a grudge with the dcp forum staff

I've rarely defended the mod team on here ever...basically because of inconsistency. However, I think now, they are living up to what they have promised many times.

cracking down on the junior forum, which, IMO, has replaced the old CE forum as the most flagrant rules abusing forum here.

But...that said, if you're going to complain about the rules breakers here, you accomplish nothing. Hit the #### report button. I do. And if you think the reply from the admin team is BS, speak to them about it. I have. I may not change Mike's mind, but if you approach it the right way, he's willing to listen.

Remember, these guys don't get paid a dime. They do this for free. A few, IMO, in their approach can be...well....how do i say this.....smug jerks, but again, you can always report them too. I have. You'd be surprised what that can accomplish.

But again...if you don't hit the report button, odds are, little will happen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because this is the appropriate forum for this, as its about DCP customer service.

i disagree, it isn't about customer service, its about the dci world class corps forum and how people interact there, and thats why i placed it there. i was hoping for an open discussion among the active posters in that forum, and i was declined, immediately, by an individual who has the privelage of closing a conversation, shunting it off to a corner, and who feels a question affecting a large group of people is more appropriately discussed privately in im's between individuals, an attitude i wholeheartedly disagree with.

if you read the site and forum descriptions, this is actually THE place to discuss issues like that. Those types of discussions in the main forums actually make it worse, not better.

having been here for 6 years, i'm 100% positive on that.

If Eddie felt that way, then it would have been closed and he would have put up the standard PM me for details.

He didn't.

He didn't decline you anything.

Your a 'customer' on DCP, you have a complaint so it goes to customer service. How is that too hard to understand?

If Eddie felt that way, then it would have been closed and he would have put up the standard PM me for details.

He didn't.

He didn't decline you anything.

Your a 'customer' on DCP, you have a complaint so it goes to customer service. How is that too hard to understand?

piece of advice to you, take this or leave it. sometimes people can understand something and still disagree with it. when you imply that anyone who disagrees with the logical statement your proposing just doesn't understand you're implying that your view is so supremely correct that only an idiot who isn't capable of following along with you could still disagree. this will generally irritate the other person, and make you look bad in the process. i understand, and never implied that i didn't. i disagreed, and there's the difference. my original point is that i feel the forum staff are pretty heavy handed, and want to control conversation in here by killing topics or shunting them off to the side, and i don't think that this is a positive way to run the site. i placed it not in the basement comment jar where the same forum staffers want it, but out in front for everyone to see, because i wanted those who were most affected by the policy to have a chance to openly discuss it in the most accessible and easily viewed location. this was denied, and quickly.

So you just proved my point. If there is a front page for the Rule Discussions, and a front page for the rest of the DCI discussions, that allows people who don't want to be bothered with all the bickering to be able to see the threads they want to see, while the people looking to talk about rule changes get to see what they want to see had it been moved to Page 2 in the normal forums.

The difference in attitude that we have on this issue is summed up pretty nicely in your post here. "People who don't want to be bothered with all the bickering". I think you just proved MY point. Some people here didn't "want to be bothered with all the bickering" (your words, not someone else's) about electronics, amps, narration--so dump them all over here in another forum. It was the decision of some on this board to put that all in a separate place so that those who didn't want to look at it had a CONVENIENT WAY TO IGNORE IT. THAT'S how those topics were hung out to dry.

BTW, if you can explain to me how threads about narration and amps constituted discussion about 07 rules changes, I'd love to hear it.

actually wanna know why it ended up here?

really?

because already, this discussion is ending up exactly like that which is being #####ed about from the junior forum.

and that type of stuff ends up driving sponsors of DCP away. The people who help pay the bills so YOU don't have to.

so in everyone trying to prove your points to each other...and, IMO, Kyle has been the least attacking I've seen......you've now created the exact type of mess you started the thread about.

congratulations. You are now that which you complain about.

(and people wonder why DCP gets looked down upon. Good lord, it has truly replaced RAMD in some areas)

Because narration and amps were apart of the 07 rules! You did read the rules, right?

And convenient?

I'm scrolling around, and I want to talk about the rule changes. Oh look, they created a special sub-forum just for that.

BTW, there is a difference between bickering, and intelligent discussion. One usually starts off intelligent on this forum, and goes into bickering.

Edited by Kyle B

My biggest disappointment with this site came when the rule was passed for electronics, and a mod/mods tried to mitigate (read: sweep under the rug, IMO) the discussion about it by putting it in a separate place. I had some real problems with some of the threads they moved over there. This was one of the biggest changes in the activity in a long time, so it pretty much WAS the discussion in drum corps at the time, but they pulled all of that out of the main forum (which is where it belonged), and also dumped ANYTHING controversial over there (anything about Cadets and hashmarks, mics and amps, woodwinds, etc.) and left us on the main forum with the six-zillionth iteration of "who thinks Phantom should have won in 89" and seventy-six threads about pictures of dead VK buses in the desert.

I will try to address as many salient points as I can in the following posts.

The threads that were moved to the '08 Rule Discussion forum were moved by one person - me. Every single one. I have absolutely no desire to stifle conversattion. I encourage you to use the forum to the best of your abilities. After all, if we don't have people posting, we don't get hits.

I do, however, also have a duty to readers of this site to make sure that discussions are located / divided in a clear and coherent fashion. In some cases, the division presents itself logically - the International Corps forum was created in order to bring visibility to a topic that might otherwise be lost - and some present itself out of necessity, such as a forum for the rule-discussion threads that quickly overwhelmed the forum. Simple as that.

This is also the third year that we've done that little split. I know - it was my idea to do it in the first place. The intent - and the entire intent - was to make sure folks who want to discuss it can go to one easy-to-see location, and those who wanted to avoid it can avoid one easy-to-see location.

Ascribing *any* other motive to my actions would be... well... wrong. I just don't operate on DCP this way, and never have, whether it be in my capacity as moderator, previous site owner, and now, Community Administrator.

Mike

This is a community, and the community members, not some autocratic bunch of martinets, should determine standards of behavior and what constitutes acceptable content.

Actually, even though it is a community with a lot of people, it's a business. The people who run that business should get the control.