i have a grudge with the dcp forum staff

Perhaps they are as stated, however as implemented and administered by the mods, it's the Wild West.

As I have said to you before in PMs ... There is no consistency and no standards in how mods act.

Until there is, your TOS is meaningless.

And as I've stated before, there is and there are. In the end, we just disagree on it.

Mike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, maybe angry bitter rant is a bit much. and grudge is a bit much. but i am puzzled by managements attitudes in here.

i think that the dcp forums staffers are the most heavy handed and closed minded group of moderators of any internet forum i've ever been a regular reader or contributor on. and i just don't get it at all. i've never seen so many passionate "stay on topic" police congregated in one place before. and not just warning people, closing off active threads, i see it happen at least once a week, and i just don't at all get it. i mean, i know this is a drum corps forum, and this section of it is dedicated to discussing world class junior corps. okay, i get it, we all do. and threads are divided by topic, so you can make salient comments on particular issues in a way that is easy to follow. not a hard concept. but is staying on topic such a noble purpose that we have to be incredibly uptight at all times in the service of it?

to me, this forum is more than just a site limited to discussing certain specific issues pertaining to world class corps. its a collection of people who share a common interest in "our thing". now, admittedly, a lot of these people are cretins i'd have nothing to do with in real life. some even like microphones, if you can believe it (and i know you can) :tongue: but i've been on other forums, and i have learned two things about them. one, i go to the forum because i'm interested in a topic, but stay because of the smart, observant, witty people i find there. and two, smart and interesting people tend to be that way on a variety of subjects. i don't mind if someone gets off topic, because they often say something interesting, just on another subject, as often happens in conversation. and as usually happens in conversation, someone will eventually either steer everyone back on topic if they have something more to say on the original subject, or it will sort of die out naturally. either way, no one needs to be rapped across the knuckles with a ruler or sent into quiet corner, just for meandering.

or do they? i mean, maybe i'm totally out of step with everyone else's thinking here. if nothing else, this forum attracts some opinionated people. even posting this is a violation of the rules (after all we're here to talk about world class corps, not opine on the nature of the forum itself). but i hope the staffers will show a bit of discretion and at least let this one stay open long enough to see if anyone else cares about this one. because in the end, this is more than a forum, its a community of like minded individuals (in some ways), and a community needs to maintain a certain level of open mindedness and willingness to listen down to stay healthy. imo.

Sorry - after all of this, I forgot to respond to the original post.

We try to allow some topic wandering - I agree - with smart, opinionated folks, it happens. We do, when possible, also try to steer things back on track.

That said, we also have a responsibility to keep the discussion more or less aligned to the topic title - that's why the title's there. Readers / visitors / other members should have confidence that the topic they're clicking on is actually what's being discussed. I see both points of view, and it's one we historically have tried to toe the middle of the road on.

Anyways, feel free to PM me if you want to talk about the issue further. And that goes for any member on here.

Many thanks!

Mike