Pictures of Video of 1979 Boston Crusaders

• 4 years later...

The 1979 Boston Crusader's fielded only 25 Brass players and yet came in tied for 12th place in the DCI prelims in GE Brass. In other words we made the DCI finals in GE Brass with 12 sopranos, 4 Mellophones, 7 Baritones, and 2 Contrabass finishing .01 behind the Bayonne Bridgemen and only .03 behind SCV. The # 2 Visual judge had us in 9th place in execution and 9th place in CRE. The # 1 judge was not so kind scoring us 17th and 23rd. The avg. put us in 13th place overall in what was then referred to as the marching and maneuvering caption. I was the soprano soloist that year for the DCI Prelims (3 of us rotated the solo from show to show). I say I was the soloist but the fact is we all felt as if we were playing solo's due to the fact that we needed to stretch our intervals out to 6 paces for a lot of the show. We certainly were in no danger of bumping into one another. You got to feeling kinda lonely out there at times so that it felt good to catch a glimpse of a fellow Crusader somewhere out in the distance. Do I feel proud to have been chosen to be the soloist for such a amazing little Brass line? Absolutely! Am I as proud of my solo that day? Not so much. I think that for most soloists listening to their recording is like being a beautiful woman standing in front of a mirror. Everyone tells her she's beautiful but she's the one who sees all her "little faults." I didn't feel particularly beautiful that day. Still, you've got to admit, those could be some of the most amazing scores in the history of DCI in spite of my paper thin high F.

Edited by Bsader
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Boston did not beat 27th in '79 or Bridgemen. People are confusing the years '77-'79.

Edited by Bsader

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Shot in the dark may years later.... Supposedly DCI offices had a fire. The videos from 79 are long gone. Anyone know of anyone who may have resurrected them from copies? There was a vendor at DCI South last week but all he had were the finals. And he said they were remastered from previously sold copies... I marched with them and would really like to see...Can you believe that was 37 years ago??? Hopefully someone sees this post!!!

Admins...this is not a request for anything not legal. You can check with DCI or whomever officially sells the videos...79 is long gone and not for sale due to the fires. Or so I was told when I contacted the DCI offices about getting a video.

Edited by Ken987

• 2 years later...
On 5/28/2008 at 10:13 AM, john2780 said:

Refesh my memory, where did this happen?

Happened at the Bayonne show... 1st show of the season. Boston was loud and intimidating!

i was in 27 hornline