Patsy Bonfiglio - Drum Corps First Lady

As we come to terms with Patsy's passing, I want to thank her for all the things she taught me and the rest of the 27th Lancers family. Despite having five children of her own, she opened her arms to the rest of us with unconditional love and support. She and George sacrificed so many things to keep the drum corps operating as a quality, competitive organization. I can't remember a time when she didn't have thread in the sewing machine (making flags and uniforms), and a pot of ziti on the stove to feed her huge extended family.

Patsy, I want to thank you for teaching me about commitment and optimism, grace and honor, and the value of

stick-to-it-ness. Because of you and George, we're always gonna give a little bit more, try a little bit harder and run a little bit longer.

I will always be grateful that you were part of my life. May peace forever be with you.

with sincerity and sympathy,

Bunny (Barbara) Hopkins

27th Lancers 1976-1980

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not have the privilege of knowing Patsy personally, but I certainly knew of her reputation. Who in drum corps didn't? It warms my heart to read these moving tributes to a great lady, as they make it clear that she had a tremendous impact on countless lives. My condolences to all who knew her, and especially to her family.

I did not have the privilege of knowing Patsy personally, but I certainly knew of her reputation. Who in drum corps didn't? It warms my heart to read these moving tributes to a great lady, as they make it clear that she had a tremendous impact on countless lives. My condolences to all who knew her, and especially to her family.

I have to echo what Sue wrote........ I also didnt have the honor of meeting Patsy personally, but if you were involved with drum corps on the east coast as I was, she truly did impact the lives of many........My condolences to her family.

All drum corps are like families for sure. But some are run like programs, and a small handfull, like 27, were literally run like a family. That house on Cambridge street had to be the most unique thing I ever experianced in my life. EVERYTHING came out of there. Up until 1979, you even got your uniforms there!

And after all the 19 years of marching and the 20 years after folding, both George and Patsy could still tell you at least one thing about every kid who was ever apart of the 27th Lancers.

Cops coming to the door with kids who needed to get off the streets, making uniforms, cooking the meals, making the flags, changing the flags. Anything else? Certainly! Anything I have missed, she did!

And when my wife and I met up with the B's in Denver for the 2004 finals, Patsy had the best advice, as always, when I asked where we should drive to get up into the Rockies. "Estes Pahk" she said twice, patting her hand on mine. My wife and I went through Estes Park and drove through Gods wonderland!

To borrow a phrase I have heard recently, "Earth is poorer and Heaven is richer!"

Thank you Ma!

Edited by That70'sLancer

RIP to a true drum corps legend.

Please read my post in the "Revere Beach" thread in Historic Drum Corps.

Bunny, my sweet - you hit the perfect note with your post. You have hit the nail on the head. What you wrote describes the whole experience and the heart and soul of Patsy perfectly! Hope to see you at the services.

Jimmy

I am so sorry to hear about this loss. My sympathies to the Bonfiglio family. Also to Stephanie, I know that Patsy was an extra special person for you. May God comfort all of you in your time of sorrow.