Alumni or not alumni - that is the question

Other then that; 100% green blooded Cavaliers. There was a discussion around the table at an Alumni Association meeting early on about possibly allowing certain alums from other corps but it was quickly rejected. We wanted this to be about us, Don Warren and most importantly, the current Cavaliers and their future.

Similar in thought to the BD alums....being a Blue Devil is something special (not that being in any OTHER corps isn't special....but BD DOES have a certain mystique attached to it...a LOT of people come to BD to age out from other corps)...some of us would prefer to not pass out that hionor to someone who didn;t march with the corps in the first place.

Is that exclusionary? Sure.....but that sort of decision is up to each corps. Some allow anyone to join, some restrict to previous members....thay

s up to each corps.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just FYI, CAC888 (Cavalier Alumni Corps performing on 8/8/08) is 100% Cavalier Alumni....... except for one member, Joe (Pete) Boyle. Joe marched in the Chi Angels then The Royals but became a huge Cavalier booster and volunteer through the 70's after The Royals folded. In fact, he is the reason why I am involved in this stupid drum corp activity :rolleyes: Same can be said for many Cavaliers. Anyway, he is a "special guest" and will not be marching, technically, since he is legally blind and, let's say, "put on a few pounds" over the years but will take part is some way.

Other then that; 100% green blooded Cavaliers. There was a discussion around the table at an Alumni Association meeting early on about possibly allowing certain alums from other corps but it was quickly rejected. We wanted this to be about us, Don Warren and most importantly, the current Cavaliers and their future.

What are Cavies Alumni playing this year?

What are Cavies Alumni playing this year?

It's being kept a secret until we perform (standstill) at The Cavaliers home show on June 29th in Naperville. But I can tell you this:

Opener: Something really old (50's and 60's)

Flag Pres: Something old (60's)

Concert: Old and somewhat old (a song palyed in 60's and 80's)

Out of Concert: Medley of 80's tunes

Closer: Medley of one 60's and 70's song (OK, I'll tell ya one - Rainbow), one 80's song and one 90's.

Since The Cavaliers are mostly well known for our visuals, we will be perform many of the corps more famous moves from the past. These most likely will not be performed until CavJam (an all Cavalier exhibition on August 4th in Naperville) and the main performance semi finals night.

Just noticed this in something I just posted....

"The Lancers Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps organized in 1990 as an evolution of the “old” Lancers Senior Corps dating back to 1920, making it one of the oldest existing corps in the nation."

Well first thing off, wish "Alumni" in the title would get buried forever.... :ph34r: Pops up every now and then. At least the age range was given but still people might think you have to have been part of another corps. Will have to listen for an on site announcement for the magic "open to all" words.

Secondly, that "E" word poped up again (evolution) :tongue:

I marched with the Hawthorne Caballeros from 1971-1975 so I am a Caballeros alumnus ( or alumni!). I then marched with the Caballeros Alumni Corps from it's inception to 2004. Now what am I called?

A Caballero alumni-Caballero Alumni alumni? LOL!

I marched with the Hawthorne Caballeros from 1971-1975 so I am a Caballeros alumnus ( or alumni!). I then marched with the Caballeros Alumni Corps from it's inception to 2004. Now what am I called?

A Caballero alumni-Caballero Alumni alumni? LOL!

An old fart with too much time on his hands? :biggrin:

'72 Cabs were totally awesome ...

An old fart with too much time on his hands? :biggrin:

'72 Cabs were totally awesome ...

Old fart? Yeah, I would have to agree there. Too much time on my hands? Nah,. Just call me a silly old fart!!!!!! THanks about the 1972 Cabs. I was fortunate to have marched with them during some great years.

Missed 1976 season because I decided to become an adult and go back to school and get married. :laugh:

Old fart? Yeah, I would have to agree there. Too much time on my hands? Nah,. Just call me a silly old fart!!!!!! THanks about the 1972 Cabs. I was fortunate to have marched with them during some great years.

Missed 1976 season because I decided to become an adult and go back to school and get married. :biggrin:

Ooh ... "Chico and the Man" ... Fun show.