Alumni or not alumni - that is the question

I think some corps use the word "alumni" as a catch-all for any corps that does not enter into competition. Especially those that still have a competition corps like Caballeros.

I agree. I suggested that the Buccaneer Alumni corps investigate changing the name because of the tension it was causing with the struggling field corps. As you can see, no one listens to me. (good thing, eh?)

However, as a "catch-all" phrase, it's really inaccurate and I think hurts recruitment for some corps.

Lot's of eligible people would just not bother to check out a corps, thinking it is just for "alumni".

It doesn't take long for the initial excitement and gung ho-ness to wear off and then attendence drops off and to survive you have to invite everyone.

Reminds me of my junior corps. :smile:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, as a "catch-all" phrase, it's really inaccurate and I think hurts recruitment for some corps.

Yeah, I thought about that after I typed it and took it out. It's just that it seems that any corps not competing gets called an alumni corps which is what your post was about in the first place! DOH!

Operating under the DCP radar, the Ishpeming MI Blue Notes have been functioning as a non-comp corps continuously since 1984. A social reunion of the Jr. corps, which existed from 1957-77, led to a "one-time" performance, which led to a year-round program which eventually opened up to non-alumni and younger people.

Blessed with a sugar daddy sponsorship from the local bank, the Blue Notes are on their second set of 3-valve G bugles, and their third set of repro satins. The members are also immensely proud of their spotless, P.C., white bucks with red soles.

Personally I feel that an alumni corps should be made up of former members.

and you are most certainly allowed to your opinion. i'm just glad that most people don't feel that way, because otherwise there wouldn't be this other whole dimension of shows and styles for the drum corps audiences to enjoy.

:smile:

Thanks Robbie, and gsksun for the compliments. I just said how I feel.

We also have a strong Cabs Alumni Association that was in existence long before the alumni corps. In fact, it was the leadership of the Alumni Officers in 1994 that finally got the okay from Jim Costello to start the corps. Danny Raymond, Bob Peterson, Joe Campos, Frank Pisillo and Chris Sortino were the moving force. Jim was not in favor of it, but he trusted these men and gave his blessing.

:smile::doh::smile::wub:

and you are most certainly allowed to your opinion. i'm just glad that most people don't feel that way, because otherwise there wouldn't be this other whole dimension of shows and styles for the drum corps audiences to enjoy.

:beer:

:doh::smile::beer::wub:

Edited by BigDale

Unfortunately, most corps couldn't exist with that limitation on membership.

In the Buccaneer Alumni Corps, ("Alumni" is officially part of our name), we have "associate" members, like many organizations that allow "non" members to become members on a limited basis.

I understand that a lot of corps would not be able to have a "full" corps without adding others - just don't call it "alumni" then.

Thanks Robbie, and gsksun for the compliments. I just said how I feel.

We also have a strong Cabs Alumni Association that was in existence long before the alumni corps. In fact, it was the leadership of the Alumni Officers in 1994 that finally got the okay from Jim Costello to start the corps. Danny Raymond, Bob Peterson, Joe Campos, Frank Pisillo and Chris Sortino were the moving force. Jim was not in favor of it, but he trusted these men and gave his blessing.

Cabs Alumni.

:smile:

:beer::doh::smile::wub:

:doh::smile::smile::wub:

thanks Dale!

see you in 11 days!! :beer:

One thing I don't like about the "alumni corps" moniker is that, in some people's minds, you're limited to only those things that the previous corps did, e.g. songs, uniforms, or routines.

You get labeled and boxed in.

If you're not an alumni corps, but just a corps that gets lumped in with alumni corps because you don't do a field show, then you're not reaching as wide an audience as you could. Also, you could be dismissed by some of the elite as, "just" an alumni corps and be ignored.