Alumni or not alumni - that is the question

If you are in an alumni corps, a lot of times you get another label as an "old school" person that can't appreciate anything new.

Irony with that statement is end of last season Lancer BoD asked the members suggestions on improving the corps (gaining members, publicity, make it more enjoyable, etc, etc). From what I heard more than a few members asked about getting away from the 128bpm march type stuff we had been doing a lot of. Hard to break that mode for parades but we are adding some "numbers that will be fun for the crowd and the corps members".

LOL, wonder how the High School and college age people is "Alumni" corps feel about being called old school. :smile:

Biggest problem I see with the "Alumni" moniker is there just isn't a good term for non-competing corps. It's seems that every corps gets plugged with a "type" be it Junior, All-Age, Mini or Alumni. And if you're Erie and call yourself a drum corps, someone supposedly in the know is gonna ask "but what type of drum corps are you?".

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The term, "alumni corps", carried problems with it the first time it was ever used.

Well meaning organizers saw it as a way to honor a corps name. However, it wasn't long before the problems with the classification arose.

The discussion, or lack thereof, between our field corps and alumni corps was very heated and not very nice at the beginning.

That's when I thought a name change should be pursued. Fortunately, I think things worked out for the best.

However, declining interest and membership, (for various reasons), soon made it clear that "outsiders" would have to be enticed into joining if we were to continue.

To this day, we have trouble getting enough members. Although the 50th anniversary of the Buccaneer organization helped a lot and some members found out how much fun it is and stayed.

Maybe we should have another thread with a poll and some suggestions for an alternative classification for what is now lumped together as "Alumni Corps".

Any ideas? then we can put them together in a poll.

Just for fun, but maybe a good idea will come out of it.

How about, NCO Corps? (non competitive orginization)

It would have felt funny - and I probably wouldn't have done it - if a guy who was never a Madison Scout was marching next to me in the MSARP. However, due to many factors and a completely different set of circumstances that faced the Kingsmen, they wound up making light of their situation and put out a very cool show without compromising one bit of who the Kingsmen were back in the day. They just didn't have the number of years to pull from Madison, SCV or the Cavaliers did or do, and that was that. There were enough Kingsmen alumni there to make that as close as possible, and the folks who didn't march Kingsmen would no doubt be the first to say so. But no one can ever take the fact that they did become Kingsmen for two years - way after the fact. I don't think they were trying to "fool" anyone, and had much bigger things to concern themselves with. It didn't diminish one bit what they put out there... that's for sure.

Certainly the Bridgemen are having a hell of a lot fun, and also doing a great job no matter what you call them. I wouldn't want to get into an argument with them about it anyway.

I suppose it could be argued that if you went to see ... say ... the "Monkees" to hear all your favorite bubble gum hits from back in the '60's... and you thought you were going to SEE the Monkees, but when you get there you find out it's: "The Monkee's - Featuring Peter Tork" and it's really Peter Tork and three other guys instead of Davey, Mike and Mickey... you'd be kinda PO'd. But if you went INTO it knowing that it was Peter and three other dudes and you chose to go, it would be fine!

Does that make sense? :smile:

And only two corps fit that, Santa Clara and Madison.

Ah.....negative....the combined BD/SCV alum corps last year was exclusively BD and SCV alums...I got copies of the email submissions for the BD side and before I added anyone to the mailing list, I verified they were, in fact, alums of the corps.

It would have felt funny - and I probably wouldn't have done it - if a guy who was never a Madison Scout was marching next to me in the MSARP. However, due to many factors and a completely different set of circumstances that faced the Kingsmen, they wound up making light of their situation and put out a very cool show without compromising one bit of who the Kingsmen were back in the day. They just didn't have the number of years to pull from Madison, SCV or the Cavaliers did or do, and that was that. There were enough Kingsmen alumni there to make that as close as possible, and the folks who didn't march Kingsmen would no doubt be the first to say so. But no one can ever take the fact that they did become Kingsmen for two years - way after the fact. I don't think they were trying to "fool" anyone, and had much bigger things to concern themselves with. It didn't diminish one bit what they put out there... that's for sure.

Certainly the Bridgemen are having a hell of a lot fun, and also doing a great job no matter what you call them. I wouldn't want to get into an argument with them about it anyway.

I suppose it could be argued that if you went to see ... say ... the "Monkees" to hear all your favorite bubble gum hits from back in the '60's... and you thought you were going to SEE the Monkees, but when you get there you find out it's: "The Monkee's - Featuring Peter Tork" and it's really Peter Tork and three other guys instead of Davey, Mike and Mickey... you'd be kinda PO'd. But if you went INTO it knowing that it was Peter and three other dudes and you chose to go, it would be fine!

Oh, yeah. That makes sense.

I don't think anyone here would disagree with you. We all know the reality of the situations each corps has to face. You can't keep everyone happy and some people are going to disagree with non alumni members being part of a corps that is an alumni corps.

I was thinking, at the outset of this thread that maybe some corps were being swept up in the moniker of "alumni corps" and maybe they weren't alumni corps or maybe they are, but don't like the classification.

Perhaps a better classification for alumni corps that allow non alumni members or associate members, to participate would be a "Tribute" corps.

Great post. I went to check out "Paul Rogers" & Queen awhile back & what you said I experienced at that show...No, Freddie had passed on & they weren't trying to replace him. Paul Rogers did a fine job but we all wished Freddie was there instead. Kinda like I wish it was 1986 & I was going to Camp Randall again for the first time....ya just can't get back there no matter how hard we try. But these groups that I have come to love, & I love the people in them even more, are terrific. From who was the 1st alumni corps to whoever to who really marched when in what corps it's all beneath me & I really don't care one rat's behind about any of it. I marched Crossmen from 92-94 & if they had an Alumni corps/tribute corps/I wished I could've marched in Crossmen corps/I'm here for the beer corps...whatever...I'd be there to play some of the hits, do some parades & ENJOY life. Just like I'm gonna do with Reilly this weekend in Wildwood...& then with Bridgemen at the "Tournament". If ya had a gun to my head I'd say that a "true" alumni corps would only consist of those who marched in the competitive corps....but let's not split hairs here for God's sake. If someone joined Bridgemen & claimed that they marched back in the day, & didn't, it'd be silly for them to even lie about it; Lavelle, De Lucia, Kerchner & company treat us all the same....we're here now & hold the corps' traditions of excellence in an extremely high regard just as we do at the Reilly Raiders & just as we did when I was in Archer-Epler in the 90s. Take care everyone & I hope you all enjoy another drum corps summer. :smile::smile::beer:

Great post. I went to check out "Paul Rogers" & Queen awhile back & what you said I experienced at that show...No, Freddie had passed on & they weren't trying to replace him. Paul Rogers did a fine job but we all wished Freddie was there instead. Kinda like I wish it was 1986 & I was going to Camp Randall again for the first time....ya just can't get back there no matter how hard we try. But these groups that I have come to love, & I love the people in them even more, are terrific. From who was the 1st alumni corps to whoever to who really marched when in what corps it's all beneath me & I really don't care one rat's behind about any of it. I marched Crossmen from 92-94 & if they had an Alumni corps/tribute corps/I wished I could've marched in Crossmen corps/I'm here for the beer corps...whatever...I'd be there to play some of the hits, do some parades & ENJOY life. Just like I'm gonna do with Reilly this weekend in Wildwood...& then with Bridgemen at the "Tournament". If ya had a gun to my head I'd say that a "true" alumni corps would only consist of those who marched in the competitive corps....but let's not split hairs here for God's sake. If someone joined Bridgemen & claimed that they marched back in the day, & didn't, it'd be silly for them to even lie about it; Lavelle, De Lucia, Kerchner & company treat us all the same....we're here now & hold the corps' traditions of excellence in an extremely high regard just as we do at the Reilly Raiders & just as we did when I was in Archer-Epler in the 90s. Take care everyone & I hope you all enjoy another drum corps summer. :smile::smile::smile:

Also a good post. I can tell you enjoy yourself and that's exactly what it's all about.

Some corps like Archie and Yankee Rebels and Reilly have a very limited pool of available marching members because they went inactive quite awhile ago. It makes sense that younger members join and uphold the traditions. That's one reason I'm wondering if corps like Reilly and Archie are really "alumni" corps.

I don't mean that in a bad way. I think it makes more sense to just think of them as Archie and Reilly. When they became active again, at least Archie, it was more like they came back as a corps. The same with Reilly, I figured they just reorganized and were back in business. Especially since neither corps had an active organization to be alumni of.

I haven't had time to read all of the posts, yet, (5:30 a.m. will be rolling around very soon!), but would like to get my two cents in on this topic.

I marched with the Bridgemen junior corps, and I am an alumnus of that organization. I have also marched with the Bridgemen Drum Corps that was formed in 2005, up until the present day, and I am a marching member/alumnus of this corps, as well.

While we have reached out to our alumni, from the St. Andrew's Bridgemen, (65-75) through the "Coat's" Era, (76-87), we would NOT have been able to put a corps together without the individuals that had never marched with the junior corps version.

Our present ratio of junior corps Bridgemen, to present-day Bridgemen, is about 75% to 25%.

While we have a strong nucleus of junior corps Bridgemen that march, serve as staff, administration, or merely support the corps in various ways...

WE WOULD NOT BE WHERE WE ARE WITHOUT THE MEMBERS THAT HAD NOT MARCHED WITH US BACK IN THE DAY!

People like LeagleEagle50, CROSSMENCORPS30, and BigDale, to name a just a few, have jumped on board and have tapped into the heart and soul of who we were...and who we are. Their contributions have been immeasurable!

I consider these dear friends of mine as true Bridgemen Alumni, as much as anyone that has ever marched with the corps.

And I am GRATEFUL to them for making my dream, and our collective dream, come true once again!

Heck, I never thought that I would EVER get the chance to perform at DCI EAST even once again in my lifetime! Thanks to our present day alums, I will get to fulfill this dream for a third time on August 2nd, God willing!!!

And our present-day corps rehearses less than 1/10th of the time that we did in our junior corps days, but, ya know what?

The hearts of these Bridgemen are just as large, and the spirit, drive, and determination are all equally as intense, and powerful, as they were back in the first twenty-two years of the Bridgmen Drum and Bugle Corps!!!

Our members are just as dedicated, and emphatic about being Bridgemen, and about performing to the best of their abilities.

Some people out there in drum corps land may play the semantics game, but really...what difference does it make? Like Kevin said, "Let's not split hairs here!" (Although I must give kudos to the organizations that can still put an alumni group together from within your former ranks!)

We were unable to do this, but, guess what? We have a drum corps! And we're the Bridgemen!!!

Has anyone noticed how few drum corps are left on earth???

No, we are not a "true" alumni corps, if your definition pertains to former members...

But, when all is said and done...

We are still the Bridgemen.

P.S.- And yes, Geno, you're right! We're having a ball!!!

The term, "alumni corps", carried problems with it the first time it was ever used.

Well meaning organizers saw it as a way to honor a corps name. However, it wasn't long before the problems with the classification arose.

The discussion, or lack thereof, between our field corps and alumni corps was very heated and not very nice at the beginning.

That's when I thought a name change should be pursued. Fortunately, I think things worked out for the best.

However, declining interest and membership, (for various reasons), soon made it clear that "outsiders" would have to be enticed into joining if we were to continue.

To this day, we have trouble getting enough members. Although the 50th anniversary of the Buccaneer organization helped a lot and some members found out how much fun it is and stayed.

Maybe we should have another thread with a poll and some suggestions for an alternative classification for what is now lumped together as "Alumni Corps".

Any ideas? then we can put them together in a poll.

Just for fun, but maybe a good idea will come out of it.

How about, NCO Corps? (non competitive orginization)

Have to agree with you ... Corps is a problematic designation for all but a handful of organizations.

There should be a designation based on the level of time commitment and/or non-competitive nature of the organization.

What that is, I have no idea ... But in the meantime, it's an alumni corps.

I haven't had time to read all of the posts, yet, (5:30 a.m. will be rolling around very soon!), but would like to get my two cents in on this topic.

I marched with the Bridgemen junior corps, and I am an alumnus of that organization. I have also marched with the Bridgemen Drum Corps that was formed in 2005, up until the present day, and I am a marching member/alumnus of this corps, as well.

While we have reached out to our alumni, from the St. Andrew's Bridgemen, (65-75) through the "Coat's" Era, (76-87), we would NOT have been able to put a corps together without the individuals that had never marched with the junior corps version.

Our present ratio of junior corps Bridgemen, to present-day Bridgemen, is about 75% to 25%.

While we have a strong nucleus of junior corps Bridgemen that march, serve as staff, administration, or merely support the corps in various ways...

WE WOULD NOT BE WHERE WE ARE WITHOUT THE MEMBERS THAT HAD NOT MARCHED WITH US BACK IN THE DAY!

People like LeagleEagle50, CROSSMENCORPS30, and BigDale, to name a just a few, have jumped on board and have tapped into the heart and soul of who we were...and who we are. Their contributions have been immeasurable!

I consider these dear friends of mine as true Bridgemen Alumni, as much as anyone that has ever marched with the corps.

And I am GRATEFUL to them for making my dream, and our collective dream, come true once again!

Heck, I never thought that I would EVER get the chance to perform at DCI EAST even once again in my lifetime! Thanks to our present day alums, I will get to fulfill this dream for a third time on August 2nd, God willing!!!

And our present-day corps rehearses less than 1/10th of the time that we did in our junior corps days, but, ya know what?

The hearts of these Bridgemen are just as large, and the spirit, drive, and determination are all equally as intense, and powerful, as they were back in the first twenty-two years of the Bridgmen Drum and Bugle Corps!!!

Our members are just as dedicated, and emphatic about being Bridgemen, and about performing to the best of their abilities.

Some people out there in drum corps land may play the semantics game, but really...what difference does it make? Like Kevin said, "Let's not split hairs here!" (Although I must give kudos to the organizations that can still put an alumni group together from within your former ranks!)

We were unable to do this, but, guess what? We have a drum corps! And we're the Bridgemen!!!

Has anyone noticed how few drum corps are left on earth???

No, we are not a "true" alumni corps, if your definition pertains to former members...

But, when all is said and done...

We are still the Bridgemen.

P.S.- And yes, Geno, you're right! We're having a ball!!!

Kudos, Brother James!

Let me ask a stupid question that belongs in this ridiculous string. Does your membership need Official Authenticity Stamps stiched inside your "Coat" to be officially accepted as the Bridgemen? I have read and answered too many strains of this same subject. I'll say it again. To too many self-proclaimed experts here, I guess SCV, Madison and now Cavaliers are to be the only corps allowed to be called ALUMNI Corps, according to them and all their dictionaries.

The rest of us are all frauds! Last I remember, no one ever came to me or anyone else in the 2-7 "family" to validate membership prior to Foxboro 14-years ago. Afte reading many of these twisted opinions, I now wonder if it were up to these "experts"; would we have been disqualified and never allowed to perform.

This string is really becoming annoying! I just wish everyone could simply accept the great efforts of ALL the groups who have given us a chance to re-live some GREAT drum corps.

Honestly, after reading a lot of this irreverant banter; if I had a chance to go back to 1993, I'd ask George & Patsy (RIP) that we consider calling ourselves the 27th Lancers Cover Band just to avoid all these flamers!

Moderators, please close this string before I get besieged with Hate Mail from a pack of unappreciative wolves!