The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

So this is the official thread? Does that mean that every other thread that someone starts about the Madison Scouts this summer will be merged with this one, like last summer?? Jeez I hope not...

Actually, I hope this is the official thread. It worked well last summer, I thought.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to an everyday last weekend and was really impressed with what I saw and heard. The show sound really good. While I am far from an expert I think things are really coming together for the Scouts. My impression is that the guys themselves like the show and that says a lot. I heard the music is fun and the visuals are good as well. They seem very pleased with where they are compared to last year. Again, I think that says more than anything. If they are having a good time and enjoying themselves they are learning more. The general impression from the people I spoke to is that things are going very well.

You'd be right.

Ya, I kinda had the feeling that that was the direction they were going. :thumbup:

Here is a picture I found on the 'drumline colors' topic - courtesy of Bigsnareline. I believe it is from the NAMM show in '06 when the Scouts were celebrating their 20th anniversary with Yamaha. It shows all the different finishes that they've used. You can kind of see the Yamaha poster on the far right side. I forgot about the '92 drums with the black near the top.

YamahaDisplay.jpg

I think '93 was the last year for that style of uniform.

And thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed '96. It was definitely a blast to march! Actually, the #1 bass split his drum head during Malaguena which caused the tears during the drum break as #2 tried to cover both parts. Just a little tidbit of trivia there.

I remember Bob Guinn mentioning that as he tuned our bass drums before the alumni performance at Camp Randall.

The #1 & #2 basses were pretty big (by todays standards) so he was trying to crank them up as much as possible,

lucky for us history did not repeat itself (as far as the split head anyway).

If it did split people would have probably thought it was staged.

Edited by bass5

Here is also something I found that could be about the Scouts new drums for this year

There was a gap, referred to at the time (as I remember it, at least) as 'cut-away shells.' The gaps in the shell changed the sound of the snare substantially. Pearl and Yamaha are doing something similar right now (via Randall May) where there are slits in the rim that can be opened and closed via a switch. It is a HUGE difference in sound, and a big improvement from the Phantom snares since you can go back and forth from a dry sound to a wet sound. Here's some info on the Randall May acoustic eq system: http://www.randallmay.com/marching_snare.php

There's a video here for the drumset snare version that explains it in great detail and has some audio to hear the difference:

http://www.randallmay.com/combo_snare.php

You can find video on that-site-that-shall-remain-nameless of Phantom when they had the cutaway snares (91 for sure, possibly other years).

and a reply to this post

You sir, are correct. I was one of the players who had a hand in field testing that system. It really is IMO one of the most significant developments to happen to marching snares since the kevlar head. Randy really is always thinking outside the box, and this thing is no exception. I had Randy send a drum to both Roger at Madison and Max at the Colts to check out, and they both flipped out when they heard it! In fact, they both decided to use them this year, so keep your eye out for the Acoustic EQ this summer!

PS I don't work for Randy...I'm just a good friend of his who digs what he's doing!

The Cadetsnare guy is on Colts drum staff this year. Apparently Roger Carter got to check out some of the new gear and I guess they get to use them this year.

I'm looking forward to hearing the difference in sound.

Wow!! That sounds incredibly cool! One more thing to look forward to this summer.

I remember Bob Guinn mentioning that as he tuned our bass drums before the alumni performance at Camp Randall.

The #1 & #2 basses were pretty big (by todays standards) so he was trying to crank them up as much as possible,

lucky for us history did not repeat itself (as far as the split head anyway).

If it did split people would have probably thought it was staged.

Bob and Alan were awesome in the MSARP, and I told them so several times. Bass drums (even 1 & 2) didn't play complex parts (like those two were) when I marched, but Bob and Alan weren't really that long out of drum corps (like you and me, Mikey!) for the alumni project.

GOOD LUCK to the 2008 Scouts! Having a good quality, safe, focused year will take the corps back to where they want to be.

Edited by GGarrett

Can someone shed some light on this for me: How come Jeff Spanos isn't the corps director this year? I'm guessing they thought it would better to have a new director?

Can someone shed some light on this for me: How come Jeff Spanos isn't the corps director this year? I'm guessing they thought it would better to have a new director?

Jeff was the executive director last year, same as this year. A little snafu happened last year with the originally-hired corps director early in the year, though, so he took on some of those responsibilities (the tour director took on a large load as well). Dann Petersen stepped into that role that technically already existed. For what I can tell, the setup they have is doing pretty nicely.

Edited by StradmanBW