Bloomington, we have a problem

OK, I know this is an IU thing, not a DCI thing. But it is amazing how much "other" things keep having DCI attached or affiliated with it.

Lucas.

Oil prices.

IU.

Financial practices.

The problems come from the top-down. It's amazing how lucky an organization with GREAT strategic vision and planning becomes. On the converse, it's amazing how unlucky an organization without those becomes.

Is anyone willing to argue with the point that DCI needs some major changes in the strategic leadership and planning department...quick??

It's one thing when you sign a contract to move into a new stadium that is running completion dates right up against your move-in date when you're not the primary occupant.

It's another thing when your "Plan B" has a freak sink hole in/around the end zone.

It's something on a different scale entirely when economic conditions jump up to bite your activity/member organizations in the pocket book.

But when you consider the financial "best practices," or even standard norms of the average DC and DCI, you're just begging for major problems to pop up and...voila--there they are!

OK, maybe I'm a bit cynical or somewhat over-the-top in my illustrations. But really, how far off the mark am I???

Exactly. Thanks for saying what I have been trying to say!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stuff with Bloomington could have happened ANYWHERE.

I don't see why people are blaming DCI for this.

What if they HAD scheduled finals in Madison and the same thing had happened there... then we would be in the exact same boat.

Once again, it was DCI's decision to committ to holding the 2008 DCI finals at a new stadium scheduled to be completed just weeks prior to finals, that has led us to where we are now. Bad business decisions lead to negative results.

IU IS the backup plan, not the primary venue, so any comparison to what could have happened in Madison is irrelevant.

OK, I know this is an IU thing, not a DCI thing. But it is amazing how much "other" things keep having DCI attached or affiliated with it.

Lucas.

Oil prices.

IU.

Financial practices.

The problems come from the top-down. It's amazing how lucky an organization with GREAT strategic vision and planning becomes. On the converse, it's amazing how unlucky an organization without those becomes.

Is anyone willing to argue with the point that DCI needs some major changes in the strategic leadership and planning department...quick??

It's one thing when you sign a contract to move into a new stadium that is running completion dates right up against your move-in date when you're not the primary occupant.

It's another thing when your "Plan B" has a freak sink hole in/around the end zone.

It's something on a different scale entirely when economic conditions jump up to bite your activity/member organizations in the pocket book.

But when you consider the financial "best practices," or even standard norms of the average DC and DCI, you're just begging for major problems to pop up and...voila--there they are!

OK, maybe I'm a bit cynical or somewhat over-the-top in my illustrations. But really, how far off the mark am I???

Given the number of corps who have folded...the decrease in the number of drum corps shows...the decrease in attendance...no TV contract...and overall negative growth of the drum corps activity...if someone was to conduct a business review & audit of DCI such as those conducted in the busiess world, the result would be a strong recommendation to replace the CEO & entire BOD. A good old fashioned house cleaning.

QUOTE (dbc03)

Outside of the hash marks which of these is DCI's fault again?

Q.Bald spots on the field.

A.It is incumbent on DCI to insure that the field & marching surface are satisfactory. If it were mE, I would make darn sure that DCI had an inspector evaluating the field & venue on a weekly basis leading up the finals.

Q. Worn-out hash marks.

A. See above.

Q. Lack of adequate housing sites.

A. DCI is responsible for all things associated with the Drum Corp Internationsl Chcampionships. They provide housing assistance.

Q. Stadium construction delays.

A. How in the world did DCI feel comfortable booking the 2008 finals at a stadium scheduled for completion weeks before the show? Is it a revelation to DCI that construction delays occur in 70% of builds? Especially large projects like a stadium???

Q. Sink holes.

A. A result of the above. DCI is responsible for this decision & any ensueing results.

If DCI were a public company & you owned shares of DCI, instead of making excuses for them you would be calling for heads to roll.

Guys, bashing the DCI BOD isn't going to solve the current situation... I'm sure if they owned a fully-functional crystal ball that would have predicted flooding in Bloomington, they would have chosen a different Plan B.

Granted, committing to a not-yet-completed stadium had its risks, but they thought they had themselves covered with a reasonably close back-up location. So now they're likely looking at Plan C in a panic because the Plan B location seems to have failed. Would you want to be in their shoes right now?

Instead of trying to cause trouble by bashing DCI and its efforts, how about helping to solve the current issues that DCI and the corps are facing? The DCI BOD cannot control the weather, financial functions of individual corps or the banning of charity Bingo games in California, nor can they control gas prices. But YOU can help out by offering your time and/or dollars to help out the corps of your choice.

Don't have any spare change? Donate your time. Don't have a lot of time either? Then make sure you're using iGive.com or similar avenues to painlessly donate a percentage of your purchases to your favorite corps when you shop online.

IMHO, you don't have the right to whine if you're not helping to find solutions to the current issues that the corps are facing. If more people would donate a few dollars here and there, the corps would not be as cash-strapped as they are now. Give up one Starbucks a week and send that $5 to your favorite corps.

[Off Soapbox]

Thank you for the most sensible and intelligent comment so far, Linda.

I think the time has already passed for any "ideal" solutions to this season's challenges. The goal should be to make 2008 the best season possible given this freak incident caused by weather at the Finals venue, and the threat to the activity itself by gas prices. Every corps is coping with very difficult challenges this season. Linda's right. Open your pockets for your favorite corps; they need your support.

Our thoughts go out to our friends in the Drum Corps International office, and to everyone in the Midwest affected by the flooding.

exactly...bashing DCI does no good. Indy promised them Lucas Oil, or IU as a backup. oops.

why should DCI not take the people that wooed them at their word?

honestly, INDy should be as involved in helping DCI solve this as DCi if not more...their city stands to lose a TON of money if this falls thru.

DCI should move to Scranton! :smile:

Guys, bashing the DCI BOD isn't going to solve the current situation... [Off Soapbox]

< on soapbox>

Bashing the DCI BoD is almost as much fun as bashing the old VFW and AL people and why not ?

Certain directors have made it a point to say that the old school people basically don't count, why be miffed if they walk into a room full of people with rotten fruit while wearing targets on their tee shirts........................

Step right up and get your rotten apples right here ! :smile: