The Cabs sure know how to throw a Beach Party. The local bank cooperated by running an ad on their display board advertising the show with a spinning snare drum to catch peoples' eyes. The Jersey Surf (all 150 of them) put on an energetic exhibition. The Cabs Alumni produced a great blast from the past complete with an enormous company front during Flamenco Cha Cha. And the storm that threated to materialize at the last minute just blew out to sea (quite literally).

This was the first time I ever saw Fusion Core and I was impressed. Like the Bushwackers, their brass were small in numbers but quite effective. And like Bush, the crowd loved everything they did. Both corps are sure to make impressive strides over the coming weeks. Keep up the good work, Bush and Fusion.

Then there were the big boys - or boys and girls to be more precise. Bucs and Cabs both field well over 100 members with the edge going to the Bucs in overall firepower. Both corps came loaded for bear. The Bucs (including 10 tubas/contras) had that air of, "No one's beaten us since 2004." And they laid it on the line and continued an amazing unbeaten streak that includes 3 back-to-back championships. Can't say this was their most exciting show in recent years, but it was strong and loud and clean - enough to roll up a 4-point lead over the Cabs.

The Cabs put on an exciting show with a large corps that appears to have all it would take to vie for the DCA crown. But the corps did sound like it was a few weeks behind the Bucs in the brass department. And the color guard (can someone please explain those new uniforms to me?) struggled with a strong seashore wind that took their equipment in every direction but the one they wanted them to go in. An unlucky bounce for the guard, which is fairly huge. The Cabs drum line impressed, per usual.

All in all a great start to a new season. The crowd even sang happy birthday to Fran Haring while he worked in the booth. Look for tonight's 4-point advantage to shrink the next time the Bucs and Cabs go toe-to-toe as the Cabs show ratchets up the thrill factor for the fans.

Great beach party!

:lookaround:

Edited by stansea

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And the color guard (can someone please explain those new uniforms to me?) struggled with a strong seashore wind . . . "

"Ah someone else that is curious as to the relativity of the guard uniforms . . . "

Personally, I'm thinking the term 'uniforms' is a bit of a stretch.

"And the color guard (can someone please explain those new uniforms to me?) struggled with a strong seashore wind . . . "

"Ah someone else that is curious as to the relativity of the guard uniforms . . . "

Unfortunately, John, I'd have to agree with you. I was near some audience members who had some rather quaint definitions of those "uniforms" - the least offensive of which was, "They look like Ninjas on LSD."

Andy

To be fair, though, I can't remember a show where there was so much discussion about "why the guard is wearing that," which included all three of the guards (Bucs, Cabs and Surf) who appeared in costume. Personally, I've read everyone's posted "show concept," and although it may not speak well for what goes on in my artistic, intuitive head, I kind of "got it." I guess it's that old vs new argument we always seem to resort to. I'll defer to the judges opinion on the competitive guards' costuming. On the old side, I was thrilled to see the Cabs Alumni guard go to the old Muchachos guard uni. That's one I've wanted to see again for years. I was disappointed they weren't red, but they looked good in black and white too.

A personal high point in the show for me was Heather playing the bari solo in the beginning of Cabs' Malaguena. As a former she-bari myself, that was one I always dreamed of playing, and she did a fine job of it. You go, girl!

Thanks for the review...I would love to hear more details...especially about Surf and Bucs..if anyone has any...

From a member viewpoint that is taking a season off, and seeing the guard uniforms for the first time Saturday night: I LOVED THEM.

I'm no expert, but I see those uniforms as "painting a modern, avant garde picture of Spain". It is after all, a Spanish Fantasy. Try to suspend your conventional way of thinking and look into another frequency of thought if you will.

You don't have to like these uniforms, but you do have to respect the fact that Caballeros color guard will be a contender all season long.

CABALLERO PRIDE!

From a member viewpoint that is taking a season off, and seeing the guard uniforms for the first time Saturday night: I LOVED THEM.

I'm no expert, but I see those uniforms as "painting a modern, avant garde picture of Spain". It is after all, a Spanish Fantasy. Try to suspend your conventional way of thinking and look into another frequency of thought if you will.

You don't have to like these uniforms, but you do have to respect the fact that Caballeros color guard will be a contender all season long.

CABALLERO PRIDE!

Laura,

I would never disrespect the members of the Guard.. My question, as well as others, how do the new uniforms add to the total picture of the Corp? I don't think it does! The flag choices during the tunes did not seem to blend or add to the music either.. Not the work..the colors..

In any event.. That is my opinion. The other people that said things to me should have the nuts to post them also.

Love ya anyway

John

RUMP :tongue:

Who's got pics? Anyone? I did see the new touches on the Bucs unis...very nice!

seconded