Spanish Fantasy was already done with a Picasso theme!

:)

Kind of how I saw it too. The name of the show is Sketches of Spain. To me, right there it requires the art of Spain to be included, as well as the music. Then the description of the show tells us we are going to revisit some Spanish favorites, 21st century style. You don't have to know a whole lot about modern Spanish art, just a couple names most people are familiar with - Picasso, Dali - to begin to "get it." Did I like the costumes? Nope. I like red. Sue me. Did I get it? In as much as anyone ever "gets" modern art, I'd have to say yes. As I said, over where I sat, there were questions about what Indians had to do with the Pursuit of Joy too. I wasn't having any trouble with that either, except, as I already mentioned...I like red. :tongue:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the reference to "Ninjas on LSD' - was merely a comment made by an audience member that I overheard.

It seems the costumes had the desired effect. While certainly shocking , "Ninjas on LSD" is à propos of the Spanish/Catalan Modernist/Surrealism style. Miro and Gaudi come to mind right away. One might certainly accuse these of being so bizarre and organic as to conclude an altered mental state. "Sketches of Spain" seems to be just that; colorful, organic, bizarre and intriguing! Bravo!

Kind of how I saw it too. The name of the show is Sketches of Spain. To me, right there it requires the art of Spain to be included, as well as the music. Then the description of the show tells us we are going to revisit some Spanish favorites, 21st century style. You don't have to know a whole lot about modern Spanish art, just a couple names most people are familiar with - Picasso, Dali - to begin to "get it." Did I like the costumes? Nope. I like red. Sue me. Did I get it? In as much as anyone ever "gets" modern art, I'd have to say yes. As I said, over where I sat, there were questions about what Indians had to do with the Pursuit of Joy too. I wasn't having any trouble with that either, except, as I already mentioned...I like red. :tongue:

I like red, too :laughing:

Stan,

I am not sure what show you were watching but I have a totally different view.....

<snip>

Please Stan, I am not disagreeing with you or looking to get flamed....just putting out another point of view.

In fairness to all who performed, this was the first contest. Wouldn't it have been better to look for the potential than to expect any more than glimpses of near perfection? Bucs were well-deserving of the win, and yet I know that in a mere few weeks, there were parts of their show that will make the hair on my arms stand up, that I barely noticed Saturday night. In Cabs' show, there were two numbers I've heard them do in other seasons - Spanish Heart and Malaguena - that were rough Saturday, but I can already tell by this book, will become my favorite versions of those songs. How many first-timers were out there who now know that you can't save it for the show and expect to make it through those 11 minutes? The first show, and maybe even the next few, are where dues are paid. I think we can all agree that we saw a few shows to keep our eyes on this year. We saw them rough. Now let's watch them grow. How many times have corps pulled out of first shows because they weren't even ready to field. I say bravo to all who performed. The judges got it right. Now go home and practice. We'll be cheering you on!

Yeah.......Picasso.....I get it now............but where were the liquid timepieces????? Guernica?????

Ole.........hola!

Joe

It seems the costumes had the desired effect. While certainly shocking , "Ninjas on LSD" is à propos of the Spanish/Catalan Modernist/Surrealism style. Miro and Gaudi come to mind right away. One might certainly accuse these of being so bizarre and organic as to conclude an altered mental state. "Sketches of Spain" seems to be just that; colorful, organic, bizarre and intriguing! Bravo!

Yeah.......Picasso.....I get it now............but where were the liquid timepieces?????

Jim,

Salvador Dali (surrealist painter) painted double imaging and the wilting clocks (The Persistence of Memory (1931)).

He also painted (Eggs on the Plate Without the Plate) in 1932, where he claims he had a flashback to his mother's womb, and created this paranoiac-critical explanation of the experience.

So much for breakfast anytime soon.

Edited by gsksun4

Thanks buddy....my bad. I got my surrealists and cerealists bass ackwards.......... :laughing:

J

Jim,

Salvador Dali (surrealist painter) painted double imaging and the wilting clocks (The Persistence of Memory (1931)).

He also painted (Eggs on the Plate Without the Plate) in 1932, where he claims he had a flashback to his mother's womb, and created this paranoiac-critical explanation of the experience.

So much for breakfast anytime soon.

check the town name in the following url:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...0470&nseq=7

Did they name the town after you?

Best luck to the Bucs this year, has the rocket scientest tuba player given birth yet?

Today is the day..............we're all awaiting the pronouncement............

Joe

check the town name in the following url:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...0470&nseq=7

Did they name the town after you?

Best luck to the Bucs this year, has the rocket scientest tuba player given birth yet?