Finals placement set on Day 1

Wow...you put a lot of faith in the judging process...

Unfortunately there's no accounting for personal bias in a subjective system, but it's the best we have...

I've just learned from my government never to take anything at face value....there's always an unseen element to all this....it's only human nature.

Which is why people should go to finals week/utilize the remote options so you can make your own call. In general, I'll look at the recaps and agree with how things panned out between corps of the same level. I'm hard pressed to think of a corps in recent history that didn't make Semis/Finals when they deserved it.

I'd worry more about how the low end of the division scores jump around like a bunny on speed than worry about slotting. It's criminal that Quarters corps can do the best show of the season Finals Week and go DOWN in score.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's the first weekend of the drum corps season and the scores are in. Any surprises? For me, the only thing that stood out was Madison's low score Saturday night. Other than that, all the other scores were as expected, wouldn't you agree?

So, here's my bold prediction on the night of June 22, 2008 of the top 12 corps that will make Finals. This is in no particular order with no guesses at scoring.

The corps will be: Cavies, SCV, BD, Phantom, Cadets, Carolina, Blue Coats, Boston, Blue Knights, Glassmen, Colts, and Blue Stars.

You could interchange Blue Stars for Spirit, but all the other corps are pretty much firm.

Now, am I going out on a limb with this prediction? No, but isn't it sad that most drum corps fans could predict the same corps and be mostly right? There's no drama or excitement in who will make Finals except for maybe 12th place and 1st. And sometimes 1st place is a foregone conclusion by Qtrs.

I can also "boldly" predict that the Troopers will not make Finals this year not because they don't have a Finals caliber show, but because their first score of the year was very low. If you start out in the upper 50s, you probably end up in the mid 70s, not quite enough to break top 12. Isn't that sad for the kids that they don't have a chance at Finals because everything was predetermined on the first weekend? The kids and staff could work their butts off this summer and attain a Finals worthy show, but none of the judges would give it to them because how could a corps that placed so low in week 1 slingshot all the other corps ahead of them? It's just not done. It's not the DCI way.

And Pioneer will not catch Troopers. And the bottom 6 Finals corps (Boston, BK, Colts, Glass, Coats, Stars) will not catch the top 6 corps (Cavies, BD, Phantom, Cadets, SCV, Crown). See how predictable it all is?

Aren't you all getting tired of the same ol judging and the same ol judges?

:bla: :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla:

Still waiting for one of these slotting conspiracy theorists to give me an example of a corps that got screwed

You mean you want them to back up their griping/whining/conspiracy calling with actual fact?! How dare you?!

Still waiting for one of these slotting conspiracy theorists to give me an example of a corps that got screwed

Knights, 1982.

Knights, 1983.

hey jordster

i like your 'pick the placements outta a hat' approach much better then the systematic, detailed, and evidence based scoring system that is used now..

but kyushujet is right.... if you dont have a shot at 1st or 12th after the very first show, you might as well just pack it up and go home..

cause the only thing that matters in dci is either winning or grasping on to that last saturday spot.....

" Life will hit you harder than anything. But it's not about how hard you hit, it's how hard you can take a hit and keep moving foward"

Rocky Balboa

The Troopers and Madison Scouts ( and Boston Crusaders from the mid 70's) don't know the meaning of " just pack it up and go home ".

It's not in their DNA

First I am not saying or implying any particular group has been shafted in this past....I just think it is strange that none of the lower ranked corps ever get better. Take the Colts for example....making finals is their big goal every year (not to say its not everyones goal).....Making top ten is almost out of the question....Blue Devils don't worry about making Finals...they always do...They are just fighting for 1st, 2nd or 3rd.....I don't know, it just seems odd that no one ever gets alot better or alot worse.

FYI-I'm a parent, never marched and have only been following this competition 6 or 7 years....and maybe I am completely wrong but this is my perception

He can because history bears him out. Just watch patiently and bookmark this thread and come back after finals. I think you'll see.

"not every corps has competed yet, so how can you make that prediction?"

It's unpleasant, but true.

One day, somebody will figure out that it's as interesting as knowing exactly which two teams are in the Super Bowl, year after year after year. There's no suspense.

Edited by GeorgiaGirl

It is virtually impossible to assess all the scores from first shows and make an applicable prediction. DCM has an age-old reputation for higher scores early on than East and West coasts, respectively.

This really has nothing to do with scores, or whether the West is higher than the East. We all know how that works.

This is about placements and how predictable they are. Which, history is on his side, because it's quite true. The line up you see top to bottom will pretty much stay the same come finals week. It sucks, it truly does, but that's just the way it is. It happens in DCA as well.

Whether you want to call it predictable or "slotting" is another story in itself.