drum corps color guards for 2008

dugg

OK - from what I've seen so far (from my computer screen):

Cadets - not sure about the chain flags in the beginning. They look about 100% better than last year though

Crown - holy weapon line batman - Can there be any more tosses (and I'm saying that in a good way) - I see from last night's show that the flag line has cleaned up nicely!

Cavies - so I'm biased - but that is still the guard to beat this year

Blue Devils - not sure they will ever be able to clean the long poles in the opener. And is it me or are they doing less weapon work this year.

Vanguard - they have their own style of writing which makes them unique - very musical phrasings

Phantom - loving the show - but the uniforms and flags get lost on the field. Can't wait to see this one close up!!!!!

Colts - very clean for this early in the season - the guys need to have a different uniform - it just doesn't look right on them

Academy - will once again be the corps achilles heal

Boston - much improved. This whole show just clicks for me

Bluecoats - getting much better - I was worried after the first shows.

Pioneer - is it just me or has their guard gotten significantly better over the last 3 years

Glassmen - still the corps strong point. Love what that guard has become over the last 4 years

Troopers - can't wait to see them witt all 18 or 20 guard on the field. Hope they can get everything worked out in time. Big kudos to the 12 guard who stuck it out!!!!!

More as soon as I have time to watch!

Later,

Mike

Later,

Mike

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice succinct review guardguy89,thanks!

color guard rankings at this time:

1.the cavaliers

2.the blue devils

3.carolina crown

4.santa clara vanguard

5.the bluecoats

6.the cadets

7.the glassmen

8.the phantom regiment

9.the blue stars

10.the colts

11.the boston crusaders

12.the troopers

Hey Mike,

Long time, no see! How are thing over in MTL?

I just want to add that I am not a color guard person, but SCV's guard seems incedible to me. I am very impressed.

Of course, I am also impressed with the lovely ladies and gents of PR, but that's where I am biased, so does my glowing opinion really matter?

BD doesn't do much for me, though the corps did have a lot of energy on Sat night. Can't say I remember anything about the guard, other than the big poles.

What can I say? I'm only a dummer.

OK - from what I've seen so far (from my computer screen):

Cadets - not sure about the chain flags in the beginning. They look about 100% better than last year though

Crown - holy weapon line batman - Can there be any more tosses (and I'm saying that in a good way) - I see from last night's show that the flag line has cleaned up nicely!

Cavies - so I'm biased - but that is still the guard to beat this year

Blue Devils - not sure they will ever be able to clean the long poles in the opener. And is it me or are they doing less weapon work this year.

Vanguard - they have their own style of writing which makes them unique - very musical phrasings

Phantom - loving the show - but the uniforms and flags get lost on the field. Can't wait to see this one close up!!!!!

Colts - very clean for this early in the season - the guys need to have a different uniform - it just doesn't look right on them

Academy - will once again be the corps achilles heal

Boston - much improved. This whole show just clicks for me

Bluecoats - getting much better - I was worried after the first shows.

Pioneer - is it just me or has their guard gotten significantly better over the last 3 years

Glassmen - still the corps strong point. Love what that guard has become over the last 4 years

Troopers - can't wait to see them witt all 18 or 20 guard on the field. Hope they can get everything worked out in time. Big kudos to the 12 guard who stuck it out!!!!!

More as soon as I have time to watch!

Later,

Mike

Later,

Mike

Hey Mike,

Long time, no see! How are thing over in MTL?

I just want to add that I am not a color guard person, but SCV's guard seems incedible to me. I am very impressed.

Of course, I am also impressed with the lovely ladies and gents of PR, but that's where I am biased, so does my glowing opinion really matter?

BD doesn't do much for me, though the corps did have a lot of energy on Sat night. Can't say I remember anything about the guard, other than the big poles.

What can I say? I'm only a dummer.

Hey Tim - you know things are always great in Montreal - we're just built that way :tongue:

And as for being "just a drum guy" - really doesn't matter - guard is all about visual appeal - so you don't need a doctorate in spinning to know which ones you like.

BTW - Phantom rocks this year. Best early start I can ever remember for them.

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to choreographers carol abohatab and jim moore there are several moments when santa clara's guard explores unique avenues and new directions regarding their movement program[as they did last season at wgi],i enjoy seeing a different style of dance and appreciate the qualities and efforts that set them apart.i wish we could experience more variety from others.

i am impressed with the phantom regiments interpretation of "spartacus",except for an occasional out-of-character toothy smile from an "oppressed and downtrodden" slave they role play rather well,spin beautifully and with many unique qualities[release points,catches,musicality] however i think they miss many staging opportunities and are lacking somewhat where integration into the forms is concerned.

live and close up the costumes read well enough but from a distance and on video......not so much.

Edited by dugg

Will be attending the DCI show in San Antonio on Saturday!

Watch our FACEBOOK status or read our blog to find out what's happening at the San Antonio DCI Show on Saturday! Comments and reactions LIVE from the show via TWITTER :-)

My Favorites as of today:

Blue Stars - still just amazing to watch the stuff they do.. is it clean?? Not all the time, but it's still impressive and I think they are getting the shaft in the scores area.

Blue Knights - just gorgeous silks!! : )

Glassmen - BIG and loads of fun!

Colts - CLEAN

Cavaliers - WOW WOW WOW

My Favorites as of today:

Blue Knights - just gorgeous silks!! : )

thanks will,but how many years have they been serving up this same type and style of handpainted silks? :smile:

after awhile they all look the same and the effect diminished.i can't help but think that due to the fact that they are "variations" they may contribute significantly to some of their clarity and timing issues.i'm all for having a strong identity and they are lovely not to mention perfect for a grateful dead concert but i would enjoy seeing them explore some other design choices and creative options! :smile:

and i'm much to jaded to be impressed or moved by a set of "rainbow" flags mind you. :ph34r:

the guard does move nicely and it's obvious their horns have better dance technique than many guards out there.i especially love all of the subtle nuances and little details from the musicians,like creative step off's & stops,dancing,poses,tumbling,etc.kudos! :smile:

Edited by dugg

Will be attending the DCI show in San Antonio on Saturday!

Watch our FACEBOOK status or read our blog to find out what's happening at the San Antonio DCI Show on Saturday! Comments and reactions LIVE from the show via TWITTER :-)

Hey there. If you see my girl.......she's in pink........give her a big hug for me!! :ph34r:

Edited by justgin

Dugg:

I agree that sometimes the Blue Knights flags can look oddly similar from year to year, but none the less - they are impressive!! And being clean should have NOTHING to do with the design of the silk..... that's just a lame excuse for not working hard enough to perfect the work.